Is it a good deal?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059

I know its not meant for insanely high gain stuff. But with a good pedal, how would this handle Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax?

Would it have alot of attack?

and for 400$ do you guys have any better suggestions?, thanks

I want a tube amp. Just so you know
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Something else for sure if you wanna play that stuff. Even with a good gain pedal the low end is still lacking, however this may be able to be fixed with a good cab.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah I would think a new cab would help that head a lot. There is no clean channel but you may not need one. You might be able to find a head only for $250. Or sell the cab and get a 212 from Avatar or something. Check your craigslist for stuff too. And a Valveking.
The Windsor is a fantastic amplifier....

...If you play blues and classic rock.

This thing, awesome as it may be, will not do metal no matter how hard you try.

I suggest a Peavey ValveKing.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I think the TS is talking more Thrash metal like earlier Metallica in which case I think it can. Modern metal - no. It is similar to the JCM800. I wouldn't want the cab that comes with it. We are talking about the 100 watt head right? Maybe you had that head with different speakers in the cab and still couldn't get those bands out of it - in which case I can't argue with you. Never owned, just played it.

The Valveking can do that stuff but will need new speakers for sure, and an OD also.
He's got one with an H&K 4X12 with Greenbacks but something that pumps out a little more bass may be able to even it out.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
UGr selling his Windsor. Not pushing the Windsor either it just happens to be at a good price right now. The guy selling it says he needs a better metal amp so...

I was checking up on my own amp when I saw this and thought of this thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1046585
i think it should handle that 80s thrash metal pretty well, for the money, assuming you don't really need cleans. different cab would be a good idea, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Coming from a guy who owns one, it CAN do metal, just not like modern metal stuff.

With a tubescreamer type pedal, it can do an 80's thrash tone, but that's about as heavy as it'll go. Also, the stock cab isn't very good if you're trying to do metal. It sounds better with something like Celestion G12-T75's because it's a fairly middy amp, and the 75's help to balance that out and tighten up the low end.

That being said though, the Windosr is one the best bang for the buck amps out there in my opinion. It's as close as you'll get to a good JMP or JCM 800 2203/04 tone without breaking the bank.

I'm actually looking to sell mine once it's fixed, and I have some more money. I've decided I want a modern voiced high gain head and more than one channel.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Coming from a guy who owns one, it CAN do metal, just not like modern metal stuff.

With a tubescreamer type pedal, it can do an 80's thrash tone, but that's about as heavy as it'll go. Also, the stock cab isn't very good if you're trying to do metal. It sounds better with something like Celestion G12-T75's because it's a fairly middy amp, and the 75's help to balance that out and tighten up the low end.

That being said though, the Windosr is one the best bang for the buck amps out there in my opinion. It's as close as you'll get to a good JMP or JCM 800 2203/04 tone without breaking the bank.

I'm actually looking to sell mine once it's fixed, and I have some more money. I've decided I want a modern voiced high gain head and more than one channel.

what he said, after i sold mine i picked up a b52 at100. you might want to look in to them
i dont see what everybody's talking about, the windsor is a hot-rodded JCM800 type amp. countless amounts of 80's trash bands used JCM800's, so, especially with a boost in front, the windsor can certainly do those bands. i'd also look at the B-52 AT112 though, if you want a two channel amp thats more high gain

EDIT: if you get the windsor, get a better cab with it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I saw a Windsor head/cab again at Best Buy. Head was $259 and cab was $239 I think. I didn't play it because I've already played it twice and I was distracted by the Bogner Alchemist stack. GC said they are out of the head nationwide, which is why I brought it up.

I have not played it long enough or with a boost to say any more.