I just made a down payment on a Marshall JCM 800 2204, from 1983. Played it the other day, and I must say that it is possibly one of the sweetest sounding amps I've yet to hear. I'll be picking it up in 2-3 weeks and pics will ensue.

Just thought I would share my excitement.

Also, I'm looking for an overdrive just to give it that extra edge for solos or heavier songs. I am really interested in either the Timmy or the Tim made by Paul Cochrane, however I really want to look at everything possible.

I'm willing to spend up to $350-400(CAD) on the overdrive.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Last edited by funkymonkz at Jan 17, 2009,
Keeley Modded TS9s, Fulltone OCD, BK Butler Tube Driver, Fulltone Fulldrive 2... and much more.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321
Keeley Modded TS9s, Fulltone OCD, BK Butler Tube Driver, Fulltone Fulldrive 2... and much more.

All these are great, if none of those work, you need way too much gain. I've got a Tube Driver and highly recommend it and my friend has an OCD and I highly recommend that as well. Both of those can get pretty high gain for OD pedals as well if you need a clean and distortion setting to change to quick without rolling off a bit of top end with the volume knob.
EDIT: I've got a Hermida Mosferatu that will do the job pretty well too so you may want to look into those as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 16, 2009,
thanks guys, the BK Butler Tube Driver looks very interesting I'll do some more research on that one.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by funkymonkz
thanks guys, the BK Butler Tube Driver looks very interesting I'll do some more research on that one.

Nice. You may want to look at the older Chandler ones, they have a walwart but you can usually get them cheaper than the ones Mr. Butler is making now. I don't recommend the Tube Works one as much but it's still great, just not as good as the others. I got a Tube Works Tube Driver for $100 so it may be the best deal.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

OMFG I HATE YOU!!!

we better see pics of this sweet sweet amp.

this is the same head Kerry King of Slayer used b4 he got his signature JCM 800 2203 KK.

what type of music are you planning on playing through it??? please god say metal LOL, i`m guessing so if you want a O/D pedal.

i`m gonna recommed a MXR 108 10 band EQ, sweetest pedal EVER. it acts like an O/D pedal too with the Gain slider. you should really check it out, i run one on my JCM 900 4500. EMG`s with the PA2 gain booster would sound HOT!! through that head.
oh my I just realised i made a mistake in my first post, I put 2203 instead of 2204.
To clarify it is a 2204 I'm getting.

to slayerdeath, everything from blues to metal, the amp is replacing my Super Reverb which could not get heavy enough for my tastes however it was a great amp.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I've got the 2203KK

and if you are getting the Tube Driver, be sure NOT to get the Tube Works one. I'd get the one built by BK Butler since those are the legitimate ones. The Tube Works kinda ripped off of him.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Quote by funkymonkz
oh my I just realised i made a mistake in my first post, I put 2203 instead of 2204.
To clarify it is a 2204 I'm getting.

to slayerdeath, everything from blues to metal, the amp is replacing my Super Reverb which could not get heavy enough for my tastes however it was a great amp.

It doesn't really make much difference. They both get around the same amount of gain and have very similar characteristics so the pedals listed would still work great.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Khoifish321
I've got the 2203KK

and if you are getting the Tube Driver, be sure NOT to get the Tube Works one. I'd get the one built by BK Butler since those are the legitimate ones. The Tube Works kinda ripped off of him.

Actually he just sold the circuit design to them I think. The Chandler IMO is the best deal since they were built to pretty high standards and are way cheaper than the ones made by the man himself but the ones he makes are definitely the best. The Tube Works ones are by far the cheapest but having owned/tried all the different types it's not that bad for the price. They don't take a beating as good as the others do though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Here's an interview of BK Butler about his Tube Driver about Chandler:

"There’s not enough room here to elaborate much, but the truth of the matter is that somehow Chandler decided at one point that they had been the designer of the product, came up with the TD trademark and that I was infringing on their IP. They obviously had somebody attempt to copy the electronics and the physical design of my TD, then produced and sold them. I don’t know how many unauthorized units are out there. The mistakes inside are essentially within the EQ area and it would take too long to describe them. Also there is a basic ground loop mistake as well. The overall sound of the C copy is somewhat muted and not as clear on the upper harmonics, etc. Eric Johnson never used one of these copies as far as I know. "

" They even challenged me in court and tried to convince the judge that Chandler was the actual owner of my design and the Tube Driver trademark. But the truth was obvious: In the end what was mine to begin with remains mine still… I then designed the black Real Tube pedal in 1986 which I still think is a superior pedal in some ways to the Tube Driver (ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons agrees) and then went on to design all my Tube Works SKUs: MosValve, Tube Works Real Tube rack products, combo amps and reverb… then the smaller 3 knob version of the Tube Driver was designed in an attempt to give an entry level price to tube lovers."

to me, it sounds like Chandler stole his design.

Here's the article. It's some good reading: http://home.comcast.net/~jroscoe/bkbutler.html
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Last edited by Khoifish321 at Jan 17, 2009,
If I do end up getting a tube driver it would most likely be from BK Butler himself, however I would like to try one first and I think that would prove pretty difficult.

I've tried the Timmy and fell in love with the fact that it really lets the amp shine and doesn't color the tone much. But I really want the best i can get within that price range since I'm trying to minimalize my guitar rig to obtain the purest tone possible.

^thanks that's really interesting, besides if its good enough for Satriani and Gilmour it's probably to good for me :P
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Last edited by funkymonkz at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Khoifish321
Here's an interview of BK Butler about his Tube Driver about Chandler:

"There’s not enough room here to elaborate much, but the truth of the matter is that somehow Chandler decided at one point that they had been the designer of the product, came up with the TD trademark and that I was infringing on their IP. They obviously had somebody attempt to copy the electronics and the physical design of my TD, then produced and sold them. I don’t know how many unauthorized units are out there. The mistakes inside are essentially within the EQ area and it would take too long to describe them. Also there is a basic ground loop mistake as well. The overall sound of the C copy is somewhat muted and not as clear on the upper harmonics, etc. Eric Johnson never used one of these copies as far as I know. "

I guess I was mistaken. He is right describing the tone though compared to the real BK Butler, the one main difference between them to me is the Tube Works is muddier, especially at high gain settings. I was just saying that for the price it's not a bad deal since the real thing is 3 times as much. But looking at his budget that shouldn't be a problem so he should definitely go with the real thing. I know EJ wouldn't use them, he's way too picky. lol But I do know a guy who bought one of EJs Chandlers from him and other than the muddiness it's not too bad of a copy for the price.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Yeah, I think I'm going to save up to get a BK built one... I've been dying to get one, they sound amazing.

But as for Keeley pedals, you might not be able to get them for a while... his factory recently burned down and he lost everything

http://newsok.com//article/3338278

You could try Analogman, but I would personally give my business to Keeley at times like this.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Quote by Khoifish321
Yeah, I think I'm going to save up to get a BK built one... I've been dying to get one, they sound amazing.

But as for Keeley pedals, you might not be able to get them for a while... his factory recently burned down and he lost everything

http://newsok.com//article/3338278

You could try Analogman, but I would personally give my business to Keeley at times like this.

Yes, they are leaps and bounds better than the Tube Works, I was planning on getting one but then Mesa released the MK V and so I think I'm going to go with that. But that sucks about Keeley. I would definitely give my money to Mr. Keeley right now, he makes great pedals and it's a shame about the factory, I hope he can manage to get up and running again soon.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

thats terrible about the factory burning down, It'll be about a month or two before I make my final decision.

The Keeley modded TS808 caught my eye, anyone have any experience with one?
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Quote by funkymonkz
thats terrible about the factory burning down, It'll be about a month or two before I make my final decision.

The Keeley modded TS808 caught my eye, anyone have any experience with one?

It sounds great, I was playing one through a Strat and JCM800 the other day and it sounded really full and nice. I thought it sounded even better with a Les Paul plugged in. It was way better than a stock one. I didn't get a chance to try out the Keeley TS9 but I think it's the same circuit, just housed in the TS9 box and a little cheaper. They might have different chips but I think that's the only difference.
EDIT: They do have different chips and the TS9 does not have true bypass, other than that they're the same so it's personal preference.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 17, 2009,