Well, Im new here, as you can probably tell because Im probably posting this in the wrong forum.

So, I am a long time piano player (14 years), and I am trying to teach myself guitar. I am very good with theory, and I understand chord structure. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on how I should practice then with technique. I am also one of those people that has to play songs exactly how it is played in by the artist, and well, the people who contribute 90% of the stuff to this site have no clue what they are doing. So, what should I do to get better at playing guitar, are there any books I should buy, and where can I find exact tabs to, lets say specifically Iris by Goo Goo Dolls? I have already browsed the site for it, and found something in which only the begining is correct.
Don't insult 90% of the guitar players on the site from which you are requesting help
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Last edited by niflag at Jan 16, 2009,
How are you going to receive tabs when you insult?
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Yeah...great job asking for help.."You all are stupid and I'm not...help?"
There is a certain air of truth about his statement. While there are accurate tabs on the site, there are also a good many that are just plain wrong. Just read any of the comments that accompany them. If you don't believe the comments, just try to play the tabs. Some of them are horrid. Your best chance of finding something that's accurate, is to go to Guitar Center and check out their tabs/books section. Most GCs have a decent collection of tabs.

With that out of the way, let me also say that very few lead guitar players do the same thing twice. The reason for that is, most of the lead work is improvised. While I've learned to play certain riffs and sections much like the original artist, I also like to play it my way. Learning how someone else did it is great for mirroring their style, but it does little to generate creativity in your ownself.
well, those of you who take offense to my comments are seemingly the people I dont want the help from, since you seem to be considering yourselves in the 90% that arent doing me good, execpt that other guy, thank you. While I understand about playing things in your own style, you must understand that I would like to learn the song for the sake of learning the song, and when I become good enough I will add my own style.
Can you afford a teacher?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
college students such as myself cannot take lessons due to lack of money. Im looking for online resources like Scales, Chords I should learn, and anything else that will help me to get better. Naturally I could find those things here, but I want to know from others what I should be looking at specifically.
internet tabs WILL be wrong most of the time, deal wiht it lol, be thankful we have them at all, these people work hard transcribing them by ear. but yeah, there are tones of books, and as a pianist for that long I'm sure you can read music. You can buy books that have collections of songs or greatest hits from taht artist, and they come with lyrics, tab and notes usually.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
I understand that they will be wrong, but sometimes I wonder if people even try, because I sit down to play the tab, and then I play it with the song, and its not the right key, or even the right intervals. but for those people that actually get close, yay you in all honesty, and thank you.
You get what you pay for. How can a form music notation that has no rhythm
indicated really even be called music notation? This is how a lot of people have
learned the guitar. Rhythm is an afterthought that they think they can guess
while they're learning.

If you don't want to pay the price of being incompetent with rhythm, buy a book
with correct tab AND the standard notation.
thank you edg, but I am good with rythm, thusly the 14 years with piano. Its not really called music notation though is it? I mean, its Tabs right?
It's a bit of a gamble - I usually only use power TABs because once you've written a TAB, you can listen to it and compare - and if it's obviously wrong, it won't get posted. Unless the person is incredibly tone deaf and stupid.
Quote by BlackJack5027
So, A power Tab is a tab that has recieved other peoples approval?

nope, its a piece of tab software (the other being guitar pro) that you use a program to run (in the .PT format powertab or tuxguitar(which runs .PT and .GP formats) and in the GP., guitar pro)

/bracket overuse
Power Tab and Guitar Pro are like Midi software, they show the music written out in tab form and can play back the midi versions of it. Like midi they contain tone, length, dynamics, and velocity information in each note.
Also, just listened to the beginning of Iris, it sounds like a nonstandard tuning and a mandalin. So you won't find a good tab for it in standard tuning.
Quote by WishfulShredder
nope, its a piece of tab software (the other being guitar pro) that you use a program to run (in the .PT format powertab or tuxguitar(which runs .PT and .GP formats) and in the GP., guitar pro)

/bracket overuse

...and the reason they tend to be more accurate because you can compare the MIDI output to the recording while you make it.

On the other side of the coin, a regular TAB with 20 five-star ratings is probably right. And people post minor corrections in the comments.
yeah, Iris is in an alternate tuning, 5 of the strings are tuned to D... did you do that to your guitar when you tried to play it? because I'm pretty sure I saw an accurate tab here a while ago.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Mike134
how is fission detrimental to the environment?
Radiation, I would imagine.

As for the question, you've been playing piano for 14 years and are, of course, unbelievable. Don't let the 90% of the UG confuse you; just transcribe music yourself.
Honestly, I'd try to pick out the chords and such from the song itself. Since you have a pretty solid background (to say the least) in music, this shouldn't be as difficult as it is for a completely green player. Iris shouldn't be too hard; it doesn't sound that way to me, anyway.
Quote by BlackJack5027
thank you edg, but I am good with rythm, thusly the 14 years with piano. Its not really called music notation though is it? I mean, its Tabs right?

You're complaining about the tab quality. If you REALLY want to learn a song, buy
a book. Problem solved.

Who do you think has a better seal of approval on transcription skill, someone who
has achieved getting their transcriptions published, or someone who knows how
to activate an account on an internet forum so that they can post something?

ANY book with tab, also has the rhythm provided in standard or some hybrid format.
The value you get out of sitting down with a metronome and working out the
rhythm EXACTLY as written, may be most important part of learning any song from
tab/notation. Ironically, it's the part that probably gets skipped the most. Your
"14 years in piano" doesn't really mean anything. Either you can play the music
as written on the guitar when it's properly notated music, or not.
power tab, tux guitar, and guitar pro are nice. And the first two are free, and gp is cheap. tux guitar has the advantage of being able to play files made by the other two.

They also show standard notation along with the tab, which to me is a must. I hate tab only formats.

Anyway, regarding quality of tabs on the internet. As edg, said you get what you pay for. ie. just someone's best effort, which will hopefully be mostly accurate, or at least a good starting point. Which is a heck of a lot better than a kick in the teeth if you go in there saying "this guys done 90% of the work for me, and isn't recieving a penny for his work".

Professional tabs - don't make the mistake of thinking they are 100% accurate either. I think there is a much better chance of the notes themselves being accurate, but I have seen fingerings so screwy that you could never play them at song tempo, whereas the actual fingering makes the lick pretty easy to play. Never treat the fingering as written in stone - always ask yourself "what is the easiest way to play this".

If you want to be absolutely satisfied that you are playing something accurately, figure it out yourself. My ear is pretty average, so I don't have a whole lot of experience with this, but there is also a lot of software out there to help with this - stuff that will slow songs down while maintaining pitch, and break things into sections you can play over and over.

Your best bet from here is to learn the notes of the fretboard inside out. Do that, and you should be able to transfer your knowledge of music theory you gained from piano playing to the guitar. Beyond that - just tons of practice getting the technique down.
Quote by BlackJack5027
Well, Im new here, as you can probably tell because Im probably posting this in the wrong forum.

So, I am a long time piano player (14 years), and I am trying to teach myself guitar. I am very good with theory, and I understand chord structure. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on how I should practice then with technique. I am also one of those people that has to play songs exactly how it is played in by the artist, and well, the people who contribute 90% of the stuff to this site have no clue what they are doing. So, what should I do to get better at playing guitar, are there any books I should buy, and where can I find exact tabs to, lets say specifically Iris by Goo Goo Dolls? I have already browsed the site for it, and found something in which only the begining is correct.

Having played piano for so long, you should know that most of what you're doing is muscle memory. The easiest way to get better is to practice chord fingerings over and over and over again. UG is actually a great resource for that (listen to a song you like that has an interesting progression, load up UG, look at the chord shapes, practice them).

Sure the tabs are very... VERY far from perfect, but with your ears, you should be able to tell right away when something is wrong. If that's the case, figure out a way correct it yourself or give up and search for a different song. Also, for the record, the books you buy in music stores are slightly off sometimes, too.... so if you're looking for the exact way to play a certain artists' song, well, the best advice I can give you is to go to youtube and try to look at his fingers... but good luck with that.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light