I got a used Fender Strat HSS for $250 (picture link below). I use this guitar as my backup and was thinking about using it also as my test guitar. I may want to completely customize this thing, but I need some advice. What do you guys think would make this guitar look and sound great? Heres some ideas I had, and maybe you guys can give some more feedback

-New pickups- Replacing the humbucker with a Gibson one, not sure about the single coils. What are good single coils?( I like a nice clean/Mayer sound)

-New paint job possibly

-Sanding down parts of the body to give it a relic look

- Maybe a new neck- Do they sell American necks?

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionlarge/Fender/567147jpg.jpg
DiMarzio blue velvet single coils.
Art it. Doodle on it in industrial sharpie, then clear coat.
The relic idea sounds cool.
Warmoth necks are american, but I don't know about anything else.
Quote by pielover375
DiMarzio blue velvet single coils.
Art it. Doodle on it in industrial sharpie, then clear coat.
The relic idea sounds cool.
Warmoth necks are american, but I don't know about anything else.

Does Fender sell replacement necks? The necks on the MIMs just aren't smooth to play on. A lot of Americans Ive played on seem to have a smooth feel and a glossy look to them

I would LOVE to create something artsy like this http://www.guitar-stuff.net/images/john-mayer-1.jpg

I suck at art, so I may have to stencil LOL
Last edited by bigfoamfinger at Jan 16, 2009,
Probably...
On the subject of art, take it to school/work/farmers market with a sharpie attached to it, and have other people doodle it.

And Mayer's strat is rocketsauce.
dont put a gibson pickup in, put either a Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Bareknuckles, Rock Monkeys Guitars or Guitar Fetish humbucker in there.
Check out them brands for SCs too.

Mighty Mite is suposed to have the best Fender Replacement parts, so look there for a neck.

A relic job sounds good, but have a look at a lot of pictures of reliced guitars. Lots of people are ruining instead of relicing their guitars these days...

Have fun!
Get some Guitar Fetish pickups. INCREDIBLE for the price.

Put a coil tap switch in to split the humbucker...
-New pickups: Dimarzio or Rock Monkey are probably a better bet

-New paint job possibly: Go for it.

-Sanding down parts of the body to give it a relic look: Like the thought.

- Maybe a new neck: Look on Ebay for a shop called The Stratosphere. They sell actual fender necks. MIM, MIJ & MIA
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

get a protube lipstick humbucker on it from guitarfetish
and get single lipstick pickups for the single coils

you could also get a superstrat wiring kit
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
dude get a DiMarzio Super Distorion and pop a DiMarzio Chopper in the neck spot
Oh Hey look at my signature
If you like John Mayer, a website called Torres Engineering has mid-scooped single-coils, alot like Mayer's Big Dippers.
Quote by kurt_cobain9
-New pickups: Dimarzio or Rock Monkey are probably a better bet

-New paint job possibly: Go for it.

-Sanding down parts of the body to give it a relic look: Like the thought.

- Maybe a new neck: Look on Ebay for a shop called The Stratosphere. They sell actual fender necks. MIM, MIJ & MIA

Aren't the MIM necks cut in the US, with the MIA necks?

I could swear I saw a video about it.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Those websites are all pretty cool, especially the Ebay store. They have TONS of stuff.

Update to what I plan on doing: Through looking into options, I came across a Squier black Strat body on Craigslist that Im buying for $35. Using the sites you guys gave me and recommendations for pickups, Im going to try to build my own relic- the link is below and shows what I want to make. All Ill need to do is sand down the body a little and Id rather do this for the first time on a cheap Squier body than my Strat. Theres also no painting, which will make it easier. Then Ill look into installing pickups and doing the electrical stuff, which is explained on this site, get a neck and maybe a setup and its done. At least I hope its that simple

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/ClapHendVaug/CIMG1776.jpg&imgrefurl=http://johnmayer.yuku.com/topic/3484/t/John-Mayer-Relic-Stratocaster-Ver-3-0.html&usg=__V65SQvoEhYbjeOzVnnVKHCA4tDY=&h=768&w=1024&sz=399&hl=en&start=47&um=1&tbnid=WwhKoYrG1AROaM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djohn%2Bmayer%2Bfender%26start%3D36%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den-us%26sa%3DN