I recently had to have my SVT-CL repaired due to a loud POP! through the cab when I switched from standby to normal power. The light immediately started flashing red and green and I shut it down. The first time this happened they re-soldered some things and I got it back without a hassle. It happened again, but this time they couldn't get it to make the pop through the cab. They did notice a hiss of some kind. They "determined" that my power tubes needed replaced and made me pay $150 for 6 brand new 6550's. Naturally, I have a show tomorrow; I get my amp back today, and I notice the same hissing problem that they described. I'll give a bit of a better description. It's gradual; it starts off silent, and then it grows louder. After about a minute the status LED starts flashing red and green. I also tried moving the head while it was powered up (it was sitting on the floor at the time) and it made a scratchy sound through the cab, much louder than the hissing. I messed around a bit and determined that if I give the head a mild hit on the top of it (not very hard at all), it makes that scratchy sound every time before the light flashes and I have to shut it down. So, before I send it back to the idiots that have repaired this twice (but to no avail), does anyone have any ideas on what it may be and/or how to fix it? Thanks!

Steve

EDIT: I also looked at the back as I shut it down one time. Upon looking at the bias light as I shut it down, the right side LED's BOTH lit up (both red and green) and then went to just red *all of this in like a millisecond* and then turned off with the power switch being depressed. Could this signal something wrong with this section of the power amp?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Either that or it wasn't properly biased. It may even be that the part that does the bias(resistors i believe) are going and should be replaced. Personally i'd take it to another shop and ask them to look at it but don't fix anything until they give you and estimate. That way if they tell you the same thing you won't waste your money on them doing repairs just to give you a bill. You could even do this at 2-3 stores to make sure they all come to the same conclusion.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
^do that but first get a refund on the repairs
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Maybe also post at gear building, they might be able to tell you what to expect.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Have you checked your speaker cables, or is it coming from the actual head. Could be something in the transformer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Have you checked your speaker cables, or is it coming from the actual head. Could be something in the transformer.

I'm using Neutrik Speakon cable. I doubt it's coming from there. It's literally never seen a gig yet (it would today if it worked). The crackling noise comes from the speaker cab, but only when I give the head a little love tap. Something is pretty messed up. I've already contacted both the repair shop and Ampeg themselves about getting my money back, I'm waiting for responses from both of them. Hopefully I get somewhere.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I saw your thread on TB good thinking they know more about these things than most off use on hear. Good thinking with getting on to evreyone. I suppose its just one of those risks buying a tube amp. Good Luck
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yet another reason I'll never get a tube amp...

That said, are we sure it's a POWER AMP tube problem? Preamp tubes can also have this problem.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thats what they said on TB.

I must admit i want a tube amp, but thats me.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Just give the amp to me
Problem solved.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision