Howdy,

I've been reading a great deal of posts on people customizing and building their own guitars. First, I play both electric and bass, but this post will only concern my bass. Though I do yearn for a Spector Rebop, I've come to grips that I honestly don't have the money for it. So, I've been really interested in upgrading my Dean Z Metal Man. I honestly love that explorer style body. So, this is what I'm thinking of doing.

-Repainting the the bass...Hopefully I'll add a picture of the idea I have.

-Adding New Pickups( What do you think would be a good replacement?)

-maybe adding a new neck (i'm honestly used to the neck, but I know they are better)

-maybe defretting if not a new neck.

I'll be keeping the body. It might be the only thing left from the bass. I do like the headstock, though.

I prefer playing almost any genre of rock and some metal. I do have a wonderful stack, so I'll definitely be upgrading the sound out of the Dean. I've read a good bit of the stickied threads, but I would just want any other information. I'd love to hear what everyone learned from their customized projects. I'd love to keep this project under a set amount of 300$, but if it goes over I could work with it.
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Quote by guitarcam123
so what exactly is your question?

QFT.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by randomhero65

I prefer playing almost any genre of rock and some metal. I do have a wonderful stack, so I'll definitely be upgrading the sound out of the Dean. I've read a good bit of the stickied threads, but I would just want any other information. I'd love to hear what everyone learned from their customized projects. I'd love to keep this project under a set amount of 300$, but if it goes over I could work with it.

I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the idea and any tricks of the trade you may have learned in customizing your gear.

Also could use some information on what you guys thought would be a good replacement for my pick up.

Sorry if the post was a bit muddy. I thought it sounded clear when I proof read it.
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Quote by randomhero65
Howdy,

I've been reading a great deal of posts on people customizing and building their own guitars. First, I play both electric and bass, but this post will only concern my bass. Though I do yearn for a Spector Rebop, I've come to grips that I honestly don't have the money for it. So, I've been really interested in upgrading my Dean Z Metal Man. I honestly love that explorer style body. So, this is what I'm thinking of doing.

-maybe adding a new neck (i'm honestly used to the neck, but I know they are better)

I'll be keeping the body. It might be the only thing left from the bass. I do like the headstock, though.

The Spector has EMG HZ, you could buy them? Also has the Tonepump active EQ, which you can buy. I'm not a big fan of EMG pups and I've never used the Tonepump EQ. I love Bartolini pickups and Nordstrand pick ups. As for an active EQ, phew there's loads out there from EMG to Audere. If you want to play it safe, go with a more mid ranged (price wise) preamp and get a Bart, EMG or a John East.

Defretting will make an obvious difference to your tone and playing style. Unless you're a fan of the tone, go for it. I would not make my first choice bass a fretless (...Like i've done lawl ). Listen to a lot of fretless players (Jaco, Michael Manring, Gary Willis, Shaun Malone, Steve DiGiorgio). See if that tone suits your playing. Defretting is very easy to do.

I'd keep the neck as it is, a comfortable neck is a great find on an instrument. A maple fretboard wouldn't make THAT much of a difference, Ebony seems a little "Clunkier" I have to say.

The hardest part about painting, in my opinion, is sanding down before hand.

Bridge - Gotoh 201
Pups - EMG HZ
Preamp - EMG
Defret - Maybe.
New neck - No.

That's all just my opinion. Also, you'll never get it to sound like a Spector, some Warwicks struggle to get that growl!

EDIT ; Nice gear. I will PM you on something about your Hartke if that's ok with you?
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 17, 2009,
mmk, still not quite getting your question, i know what you mean, but like what stuff do you want to know?....

Otter: QFT? what does that mean
Quoted For Truth.

It means I agree exactly with whatever I said, or I am re-stating it because of it's obvious truth.

I guess, if you just want to know what we learned?

I learned that shops are over priced, that I'll never buy another guitar again, and I learned how to do all the **** tat I did.

One more thing, I learned that counters aren't tall enough for a 5'9" person to work on all day.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
....lol why is everyone so confused? He underlined his questions....

Your Dean has a MM style pickup. Do you like the tone from MM pickups? You'd have to route a good space for two soapbar pickups in there. If you don't want to do that, i'd suggest getting a new MM pup instead, Nordstrands again but they're really expensive, Wilkinson make a good MM pup for cheap.

I'd go into that later, what kinda pick up arrangement do you want?
Quote by randomhero65

See the first page of the sticky ... lots of links. Or, see refinishing mods of other UGers.

Tone and PU choices are highly personal. Go for what you've heard and liked.

If you like the feel of your neck, why even consider replacing it?

There are lots of tutorials!

http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/index.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P9wtq1n9g

Good Luck!

Quote by Micehorns

He didn't underline questions, he underlined plans. That why we're all confused.

"I'm going to repaint a bass" is not a question.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Micehorns

Your Dean has a MM style pickup. Do you like the tone from MM pickups? You'd have to route a good space for two soapbar pickups in there. If you don't want to do that, i'd suggest getting a new MM pup instead, Nordstrands again but they're really expensive, Wilkinson make a good MM pup for cheap.

I'd go into that later, what kinda pick up arrangement do you want?

Well honestly, I'm still on the fringe about that. I would love to be able to increase the tone of that beast as much as I can. So I'm willing to route. I would just like to clarify the tone from the bass, too. I can do a good bit of it from the stack, but i think it could be upgraded even more...

Quote by Ippon

If you like the feel of your neck, why even consider replacing it?

Well...The reason why I was thinking about it was because I know people say that deans have really poor necks, but since I'm used to it I wouldn't know. It's kind of like living in a mobile home (Nothing wrong with it), but then people mention how much more comfortable a house is compared to it. I get by, but there could be better out there. I probably didn't make any sense.
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Jan 17, 2009,
He asked for insight into his plans, then you break it down into smaller pieces (I want new pickups - what kinda tone do you want? - Well Barts are known for their low end and mid range, for example). The questions come after the ideas are bounced around.

Hmmm...... MM pups don't give that much ability to change tone. But I like them a lot, so maybe adding something to the MM would be the way forward? For example, a J pup at the neck? Give it some more low end.

To be honest, I'd make a plan of your favourite tones and see what instruments they're using, then decide from there. Some people hate Musicman pickups, others love them, same goes for soap bars and P pickups.

As I said earlier, do the same with the fretless idea. It is a whole different tone and feel. If you can't get used to it/don't like it, well...you're stuck with it.

EDIT : Don't change the neck, if it ain't broke and all that. You already have something you like, don't change it because people say "It has a poor neck", Hell I use an Ibanez SR neck, how many times do people say "Datz 2 fin n fazt 4 a bass1", but it suits me and I love how it plays. I'd be worse if you bought a P bass neck just to say "Look guys, I'm a true bassist now! I use a thick neck". Stick with it, man!
Last edited by Micehorns at Jan 17, 2009,
Thanks a ton. I appreciate the insight, and the brainstorming idea is wonderful.

[edit] Keep the ideas coming!
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Jan 17, 2009,