What's a better overall guitar?

Tonewise, I like both. I'm worried which one has better setup, playability, etc.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
I've heard the Eric Johnson is the best strat on the market.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
You could set up either one to play with the same action and playability, just pick which one looks better if you like the tone of both. I personally like the EJ one since it's got the maple board but either way they're great guitars.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Highway One, all the way man. I've tried out several higher end MIA Strats, and i've played the Eric Johnson one, but the Highway One is my favorite by far.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
The EJ signature guitar is tits man, I would kill for one of those.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
I've got 2 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

Well, Eric Johnson is my biggest influence, might as well get the EJ Strat.

I just liked how the Vintage looked like.

@ the Highway One post - I played HWY1 and an EJ, the EJ demolished it. And I hate the neck on the HWY1, so ugly and 70's, ugh.

EDIT: Is the EJ neck modeled after EJ's main Strat?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Last edited by djszkoda at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by djszkoda
I've got 2 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

Well, Eric Johnson is my biggest influence, might as well get the EJ Strat.

I just liked how the Vintage looked like.

@ the Highway One post - I played HWY1 and an EJ, the EJ demolished it. And I hate the neck on the HWY1, so ugly and 70's, ugh.

EDIT: Is the EJ neck modeled after EJ's main Strat?

I beg to differ, while a lot of 70's styled guitars, cars, movies, and music sucked, the larger headstock is epic, in my humble opinion.
Plus, how can you argue with thin nitrocellulose lacquer? The sound of the Highway One's seem fatter, and a bit darker, which being a Gibson guy, i love.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
I beg to differ, while a lot of 70's styled guitars, cars, movies, and music sucked, the larger headstock is epic, in my humble opinion.
Plus, how can you argue with thin nitrocellulose lacquer? The sound of the Highway One's seem fatter, and a bit darker, which being a Gibson guy, i love.

Personally being a Fender guy, I'd take the sparkle of a Fender over a Gibson anyday.

The Highway One isn't nearly the guitar. And I really hate those large headstocks, it just screams "obnoxiousness".
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

small headtsock ownz the big one poe.

get the EJ my favorite strat
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Get a G&L!

but out of the Fenders, I'd go with the EJ strat
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
meh I never liked the GnL's for dirty tones really
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
they are built better and superior to Fender. Leo Fender even said they were the best guitars he ever made. you could always swap out the pickups too

They definitely look sexier with the birds eye maple in my opinion.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321
they are built better and superior to Fender. Leo Fender even said they were the best guitars he ever made. you could always swap out the pickups too

They definitely look sexier with the birds eye maple in my opinion.

The birdseye definitely is a nice touch, I'm a sucker for figured woods. And Leo did say they were by far the best guitars he ever made. For the price they're the better deal since they are a combination of machine and hand made guitars.

Most of the time I would try to tell you to get a G&L but I think the EJ guitar is one of the nicest ones I've ever played and I love it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by djszkoda
What's a better overall guitar?

Tonewise, I like both. I'm worried which one has better setup, playability, etc.

It's hard to comment on playability and setup, every guitar is different, play them both in person.
their both good i played both the other month, i wouldgo with the 62 because personally i would never buy sig guitars
I have heard nothing but good things about the EJ, and the one consistent thing i have heard from people talking about the EJ is that its the best guitar on the Fender line. I would kick an asian infant to have one.
Quote by gwitersnamps
I've heard the Eric Johnson is the best strat on the market.

i've also heard this but id personally go for the american vintage 62 ri, not the hot rod

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The RI doesn't have a nitro finish, the Hot Rod does.

Plus, the 12" neck radius has more advantages than a 9.5" radius.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

^ the reissue has a nitro finish too... according to the fender website, it does, anyway...

Quote by al112987
It's hard to comment on playability and setup, every guitar is different, play them both in person.

+1

also, if you have £2k burning a hole in your pocket, i'd be looking at the custom shop ones.

or other high-end guitar builders (suhr, tyler, tom anderson, vigier, etc. etc. ), or maybe even a custom build. some of the high-end japanese copies would likely be worth considering too- navigator, bacchus (make sure it's a high-end hand-built japanese one, though), etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 17, 2009,
Oh, I did mean roughly £1k, I just said roughly $2000 because the majority of the forum goers here are in North America.

I've never really tried V-neck guitars, and my hands are about larger than average, so I'm wondering would the 9.5" radius with the C-neck be more adapted to myself than the 12" radius with a V/C-neck. I own one Strat with a 12" radius and it plays just fine.

By the way, my local shop doesn't carry either models, so I have to order it in. I don't want to order in both, because they won't let me.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

oh ok, i must have misread that, sorry about that.

i think you can get the cheapest vigier strat copy for £1000, though, so that might be worth considering... i haven't tried that particular model, but the other vigiers i've tried have been excellent guitars, but they do seem a bit more modern- i'm not sure if its strats are the same, but they might be.

it's really hard to say about the necks until you try them, unfortunately.

how far away are you from other shops? it'd be worth a £50 train ticket if it stops you from buying the wrong guitar at £1000, for example... but trains are ridiculously expensive in england/scotland, so that's only going to work if you aren't *too* far from some other good shops...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?