I just picked up a Mesa Trip Rec head. I pretty much only play metal in my band so I'm liking the really thick sound coming out of the Heavy channel. I upgraded to a good sounding amp so I wouldn't have to run a distortion pedal through it anymore. But now I'm reading about bands like Kill Switch Engage running Distortion pedals through there Mesa's. I"ve read you turn all the gain on the pedal off and run it through the heavy channel using all of its gain. The only reasoning I got from this was to "tighten" up the bottom end sound and to act as more compression or something. If anyone can explain this to me better or have any opinions on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Actually, most metal band use OD pedals with all the drive or gain off and the level all the way up. It tightens up the sound, and that can be quite useful on rectos, as they have a quite flabby ass.

EDIT: I shouldn't say most...but that's what you're referring to.

And by ass, I mean bottom end.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
theoreticmusic has it right, they just use it as a boost rather than an OD. Gives for a better live sound.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
and it's usually not a distortion pedal, but an overdrive pedal. dont try to run a distortion pedal on a dirty channel, or you could end up f*cking something up.

BTW, check this vid. not for the pedals, but it pretty much explains what i said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ULtbswzdc
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
and it's usually not a distortion pedal, but an overdrive pedal. dont try to run a distortion pedal on a dirty channel, or you could end up f*cking something up.

BTW, check this vid. not for the pedals, but it pretty much explains what i said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ULtbswzdc

That's already been covered.

But....using a disto pedal on a dirty channel will NOT...repeat...NOT EVER "f*ck something up"...

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

But....using a disto pedal on a dirty channel will NOT...repeat...NOT EVER "f*ck something up"...

actually, I beg to differ....

I'm pretty sure you could mess up your ears with such a horrible sound
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Haha...the bleeding will usually subside as soon as the sound exposure is eliminated.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Actually back when me and my cousin were noobs we ran a DS-1 through his Crate 15 watt with all the volume and gain knobs turned to full and it stopped working after a loud crack. But that thing was such a POS that it was bound to break sooner or later. I think we manage to short something out so it really says something about those Crates. I've never had that problem with anything else though, so usually this is the case.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
There's an exception to every rule...but your problem had to have come from overloading the circuitry because the amp was all the way up and being boosted even further by the pedal....and it was a cheap POS....

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
There's an exception to every rule...but your problem had to have come from overloading the circuitry because the amp was all the way up and being boosted even further by the pedal....and it was a cheap POS....

Yea, that was basically what I was saying, it could possibly damage it but it is extremely unlikely with anything that's not a POS. I've never heard of this with anything else, just his crappy Crate, which is probably even worse than the MG IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs