well it goes like this...
lots of people in my school play guitar, and when i say play guitar i mean get their parents to buy them one and give up after the decide chords are too hard and boring. So me, one of the few people who have put alot of effort into my playing (not to sound cocky but the others who are pretty good have talent but just havent really tapped into it properly yet, so im better i guess) gets put on a pedestal by everyone... and I ****ing hate it, people act extremely fake towards me just because i'm good at guitar, one specific guy was a huge dick to me until one day someone handed me a guitar, then all of a sudden he's nice as can be... but i digress.

The weird thing is, sometimes I play music with my grandpa and his friends(polka and old timey what have you music, it doesn't turn my crank much but my grandpa likes when i play with him) and i get annoyed because i think the people watching are just thinking "oh isn't that cute, he's playing guitar with them" and generally patronizing me assuming i have not much real talent whatsoever.

what annoys me more is that i know these two things are almost exact opposites and i just cant seem to please myself, either i shred up a storm and hate people for idolizing me, or i play open chords to fiddle music and hate people for patronizing me.

anyway ug, my question is to you (those who have read this far anyway) is, do any of you feel this way or have felt this way?

tl;dr im an emo non-conformist who cant be pleased by anything
Quote by Le_Bunny
I skimmed it, and no I haven't felt that way because I play guitar for me. I answer only to myself and suggest you do the same, it will save you some worry.

for the most part i do just play for myself, i rearely even talk about playing to other people because id rather not get in a conversation about how good i am.. i just cant help feeling annoyed... anyway if you cant tell im kindof irrational
while i have never been in that situation(i play bass deacent to good at best lol but im still on of the best in this crap whole) i do understand wat your talking about. i live in this town called merritt, in bc, its an abomonation really. and basically its like u said theres about 1234123123123 guitar players/kids who own crappy guitars and dont play. and maybe 7 musicians in total(not including the music store people cus they middle aged and into folk and stuff) anyway i got this friend who is like a demi god/prodigy of guitar and can crush and kid in the intire town with little effort. and everyone puts him on this huuuuuuuuuuuuge pedistal and begs to practicly suck his dick and he haaaates it too and sometimes he has to play simpe music thats not much and the adults do the same thing. so while i have never felt the exact same way i do understand how u feel nad actually know a few people who feel the same way.
I'm kind of in the middle, people say I'm good and stuff but I don't really hear any amazing about me because there's a couple better guitarists (they've been playing longer) that people tend to concentrate on more.
tell people to **** off. this guy in guitar center was shredding like hell. i only looked over twice cause he played left handed on a left guitar and i play left handed on a right handed guitar. some dude came up to him. and just told him to **** off. really just tell people to back off. and if people you for playing polk than thats there problem not yours.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by bass-boy-garith
while i have never been in that situation(i play bass deacent to good at best lol but im still on of the best in this crap whole) i do understand wat your talking about. i live in this town called merritt, in bc, its an abomonation really. and basically its like u said theres about 1234123123123 guitar players/kids who own crappy guitars and dont play. and maybe 7 musicians in total(not including the music store people cus they middle aged and into folk and stuff) anyway i got this friend who is like a demi god/prodigy of guitar and can crush and kid in the intire town with little effort. and everyone puts him on this huuuuuuuuuuuuge pedistal and begs to practicly suck his dick and he haaaates it too and sometimes he has to play simpe music thats not much and the adults do the same thing. so while i have never felt the exact same way i do understand how u feel nad actually know a few people who feel the same way.

yeah im in a tiny ass town too, and i really dont consider my ability that great in the grand scheme of things
Quote by matosh.lee
tell people to **** off. this guy in guitar center was shredding like hell. i only looked over twice cause he played left handed on a left guitar and i play left handed on a right handed guitar. some dude came up to him. and just told him to **** off. really just tell people to back off. and if people you for playing polk than thats there problem not yours.

its not the music im playing, say im playing with my grandpa at a hall or something, its filled with old people i dont know, i guess what bugs me is that they wouldnt care less if i wasnt up there playing... i'm crazy, i know it
Quote by bass-boy-garith

Dude, you live in Merrit? I used to live in Hope! You've gotta know where that is

In my school there are a couple kids pretty good at guitar, I'm better than a lot of the kids who play, but I'm pretty bad, got a long way to go.
So can't say I feel the same way, i like compliments, although they're hard to take because like I said, I'm not too good.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Wylde14
yeah im in a tiny ass town too, and i really dont consider my ability that great in the grand scheme of things

yea neither does he, which town, and wat cuntry/state/province? lol but yea i dont reallly no wat to tell u other than it doesnt matter how good u r theres always about ten million people who can totally put u to shame, but real musicians dont measure their skill with other people they play for the joy and the music
I won't even think about listening to someone who is talking bad about my technique or whatever unless I respect them as a player and a person.

and ya play for yourself, though imo it's fun to entertain people, not necessairly for the attention but just cause it leads to a good time.

btw this is kinda my own little fantasy: I'd like to be at a party or bar (somewhere lol) when some of the "popular" kids (from HS) are there too so I could drop their jaws. bitc*es
Dude, you live in Merrit? I used to live in Hope! You've gotta know where that is

yea man i know where that is i have to drive throught there on my way to the coast every summer, where u live now?

on topic, try telling them to stop talking about it and if they dont tell them to f#@$ off
Quote by wyantsm
I won't even think about listening to someone who is talking bad about my technique or whatever unless I respect them as a player and a person.

and ya play for yourself, though imo it's fun to entertain people, not necessairly for the attention but just cause it leads to a good time.

btw this is kinda my own little fantasy: I'd like to be at a party or bar (somewhere lol) when some of the "popular" kids (from HS) are there too so I could drop their jaws. bitc*es

and then all of a sudden you're a "cool kid" cause your good at guitar, and as you probably know, people are fake. so is it really worth it? just to make people pretend to like you more?
I feel the same way at times... I didn't really start playing to get popular or anything, but I actually kinda like getting all the "ooh"s and "ahh"s out of people because of my way too simple pentatonic riffing and 3 finger tapping.

The one thing I hate is when I have to play with my brother. I can't stand to be seen with him as it is, but now not only do I have to be everywhere with him, I have to play guitar with him in front of my parents friends, like some fuc*ing display.

and the worst part is, my whole family plays instruments, so now I feel like I'm being seen as part of some gay "family band", which is the last thing I want!!! but as usual, the thing I always want the least is the only thing I get!!! I hate my life!!!!!!!!!

[/emo]
Last edited by GrungeJunkie at Jan 17, 2009,
Not to be a dick.
But in the years I've done teaching now, most guitarists get this stage, where they start to see noticeable improvement and feel like they're something special.
This is no knock to your talent at all, but most of them usually aren't as good as they think.
Also, people dont really put nearly as much thought into it as you think they do.

Either way, that stage will pass soon enough and you'll be fine again.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
haha man i feel the same way about alot of things either im annoyed because when i say weird **** or get high they think im stupid, or people are just like, "omg u play teh GuItArz0rz!" or, "omg i dont understand the words u is saying!"
Though like wyantsm says, don't even bother caring unless its someone you respect as a player and a person. And of course just play for yourself or purposely play ALOT of blues so only people who think the blues are cool (how could people who like the blues be douches?) come to you.
old people are old. in a few years they wont be here anymore. heck. in even some of UG wont be here in a couple of years.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
TS, grow up. It's just a hobby, who cares what people think of you? If you don't like it, ignore them. Simple as that.
Quote by Wylde14
it doesn't turn my crank much but my grandpa likes when i play with him.

Quoting out of context FTW!!
Quote by goest
Quoting out of context FTW!!

Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst