Hey I was at my local music store in Montreal and I was looking at a Squier Modified Vintage 70's Jazz Bass.

I'm not exactly sure I want to buy it, but one of the workers told me I should decide within the next 2 weeks because he said that Squier is going to hike it's prices about 20%-30%.

I understand the current economic crisis and all, but do you think he was just telling me that just to convince me to buy the instrument on the spot?

Honestly I haven't heard of a car company, let alone a guitar/bass company raise it's prices that much for the exact same product it was a week ago...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
i heard that about fender so i wouldn't doubt it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
pretty sure that's illegal, but anyways, yea i saw the same thing, a sign from fender claiming they were raising their prices, so you'd 'better buy now!'

i swear, i remember learning years ago in consumer education that what they're doing is borderline illegal. but someone can correct me on that, i'm sure.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by Thewongster
Hey I was at my local music store in Montreal and I was looking at a Squier Modified Vintage 70's Jazz Bass.

I'm not exactly sure I want to buy it, but one of the workers told me I should decide within the next 2 weeks because he said that Squier is going to hike it's prices about 20%-30%.

I understand the current economic crisis and all, but do you think he was just telling me that just to convince me to buy the instrument on the spot?

Honestly I haven't heard of a car company, let alone a guitar/bass company raise it's prices that much for the exact same product it was a week ago...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Different part of the world, but same situation. Over the last week I've seen Squier prices go up. Same with Ibanez, Fender, Warwick and Yamahas. Then again, on eBay i've seen the prices going down. Fender are the worst offenders this year anyway. The new Fender MiM Jazz is coming out at over £500? Wtf.

As i'm saying, go 2nd hand. It appears to be a good time at the moment.
they have a disclaimer saying that product info (which can include price) can be subject to change without informing the public first

in short they can hike their prices
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I work as a salesperson, I say stuff like that all of the time.....

"Sir, I hear the prices of these TV's are going up soon, you might want to buy now."
"The Deal ends in a couple days and the price is going to go up like 500 bucks."

And it is illegal if it is a blatant lie. If you say something like that in good faith, it is generally OK.

So they can say "Rumor has it the prices are going up", but they can't lie and tell you "the prices are going up" without justification.

Make sense?
well i chose the right time to buy my new strat and now the right time to sell my VM, to get a better price XD
Try adding more delay.
I better Buy my MIA jazz soon and a precision and a deluxe... oh god..
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i heard the same thing this morning at a shop downtown, although it seems like they already raised the prices here.
Last weekend i was looking at a 50s Classic Vibe Precision Bass, that cost $329, and this morning it was up to $371
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Quote by Micehorns
Different part of the world, but same situation. Over the last week I've seen Squier prices go up. Same with Ibanez, Fender, Warwick and Yamahas. Then again, on eBay i've seen the prices going down. Fender are the worst offenders this year anyway. The new Fender MiM Jazz is coming out at over £500? Wtf.

As i'm saying, go 2nd hand. It appears to be a good time at the moment.

i just bought a 2009 MIM jazz for £450
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Saw something similar with a combo I was looking at, went from £180 to £309 on Gear4music.

The sales of luxuries like instruments are most likely to be hit by the economic downturn. Fender want to get as much out of the people that can afford to buy a new guitar as possible, and unfortunately as soon as the market leader starts, other companies are likely to follow.