Is it just to learn notes? I dont understand how you can get other chord positions from it.

For example, C shape..you move up the root notes...but you cant strum that if you move it up obviously.
No the point of it is to learn to shapes. If you play a A shape on the first fret it becomes an A# on the second it becomes a B. So on and so forth.
But what is the point in the shapes, just to learn the notes on the fretboard?

if so, how do you find the individual notes better? im having trouble memorising the fretboard i.e. so i can instantly identify a note. I dont understand how playin the 2 c notes around the neck helps you memorise better.
Visualize the notes on the fretboard.

Try this...

Draw a graph on paper and place all the notes according to string and fret placement.

With this you'll begin to see the patterns that the notes create.

This helped me along time ago, maybe it might help you too..
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by Zbigniev
For example, C shape..you move up the root notes...but you cant strum that if you move it up obviously.

You can if you use your 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers to play the open chord then when you move it up you use your index to barre the g and e strings.

Same with the E A G and D Shapes you can play any of them as chords further up the neck.

The chord shapes help you identify chord tones, root notes and the full scale pattern at that point of the neck.
Si
Moving a G shape up the neck and barring behind it to make a chord is really difficult. E, A, C, D.... no prob.

That said.... visualizing a G shape to help put your notes in a context for soloing is no prob.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Moving a G shape up the neck and barring behind it to make a chord is really difficult. E, A, C, D.... no prob.

That said.... visualizing a G shape to help put your notes in a context for soloing is no prob.

CT

|-x-|
|-3-|
|-0-|
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-x-|

move that up problem solved chris.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
It can be tough but there are ways. As in the post above or the fingering below.
|-x-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-2-|
|-4-|
|-5-|

This would be an A chord using the G shape. Use index to finger the barre on the second fret and the 3rd and 4th finger to get the A and E strings.

Knowing the shapes is also useful for playing through arpeggios
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jan 17, 2009,
Oh, sure, you can alter it. A couple of other easy ones:

X
X

or:

(just noticed Tiger's version was the same as mine)

But the full:

... is kinda awful.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 17, 2009,
You're absolutely right - it is not very friendly in that full six string form. But it's okay for arpeggios.
Si
take a look at a book called "fretboard logic part one". It will answer all your questions about the CAGED system.
Quote by slimp
take a look at a book called "fretboard logic part one". It will answer all your questions about the CAGED system.

dude, this book is like the Bible for all things guitar. buy it, and read it.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic