What, other than the string gauge you're using, affects the floppiness/bendability of strings? My guitar is equipped with a set 10-46 gauge strings while one of my friend's guitars is set with 9-42 gauge. Both tuned to D standard, both guitars have a 25.5 scale length, and my guitar strings feel a bit floppier (less tight) than my friend's, EVEN THOUGH I have a thicker gauge.

What's up with that? How can I get my guitar strings to feel tighter (not bend so easily)? I don't want to use 12 gauge strings just to have the tightness that it seems I should have with 10's.
What sort of bridges do you both have?
Typically, string thru construction will boast tighter strings, as compared to, say, a vintage tremolo (As on a stratocaster)
Back when I played my strat, I used .11s, but with my Schecter, which has string thru construction, I only use .10s, and they're fairly comparable to the strat's .11s.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 17, 2009,
Hm, well I'm using an LTD Alexi Laiho model (Floyd Rose floating bridge with neck thru body) and my friend is using like a 300-dollar Ibanez of some sort, cheaper specs. It doesn't seem like mine should be looser
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jan 17, 2009,
Fair enough. But the bridges really do make a large difference. Basically, the way the strings move across the body. With string thru construction for example, it would be my assumption that because the strings appear over a larger area, and receive tension at an in between space, they'd be much tighter than a standard bridge, or even a tremolo system like yours.

Otherwise, and I'm no expert in this field - hell, I haven't even started the course! - the set up of your guitars may be different, including the string height, neck slant, and so on. Hopefully someone will come along with some clearer answers. But I hope I've helped at least a little.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Actually his are older. Does string age affect though?

My strings generally feel tighter with age. Give it a few weeks.