Really, it depends on the context of the song in my opinion. In the most simple terms I can explain, if you play a song in generally higher voicings, and then revert to a lower selection of notes later, it'll most likely sound ''heavier'' by comparison. I just don't see the point in being heavy. That's just like playing your low E as fast as you can in succession.

And believe me, I'm not bashing you or being biased. I've gone through my heavy phases and still listen to some pretty far out bands. But I just don't see the point.

If I were to recommend anything, check out some old thrash, or any black metal - REAL stuff. Not Cradle or Dimmu Borgir. Artists like Skelewitch and so on.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 17, 2009,
*Straight Face*

Smoke on the Water
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by juckfush
Really, it depends on the context of the song in my opinion. In the most simple terms I can explain, if you play a song in generally higher voicings, and then revert to a lower selection of notes later, it'll most likely sound ''heavier'' by comparison. I just don't see the point in being heavy. That's just like playing your low E as fast as you can in succession.

And believe me, I'm not bashing you or being biased. I've gone through my heavy phases and still listen to some pretty far out bands. But I just don't see the point.

If I were to recommend anything, check out some old thrash, or any black metal - REAL stuff. Not Cradle or Dimmu Borgir. Artists like Skelewitch and so on.

You are retarded.

TS, if you want a good heavy riff in E standard, check out Deliverance by Opeth.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Whats a riff that sound really heavey in standard tuning?

Uh....maybe you should learn how to tune to Drop D/C instead?
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

i would. - when i get my next guitar. I plan to get a 7string with sustainiack and drop my spear sp to d.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
i would. - when i get my next guitar. I plan to get a 7string with sustainiack and drop my spear sp to d.

Mate, it's not necessary to play in drop D to get a heavy sound. That's cheating in my opinion ;p
Just learn a little theory surrounding the 'metal' sound, and you'll get it.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by goonerbynature
Uh....maybe you should learn how to tune to Drop D/C instead?

maybe just answer the question?..

Check out some metallica songs.