Page 1 of 3
I've done this a few times and found that it's really hard to actually not be thinking.
and What I found doing this is There are about 3 parts that think in our thing(body)!

first is your mind. I don't know where it is, but I think it's the thought like when you are trying to math something in your mind, you think it on purpose so you can control the thinking.

second is your heart. It's the thoughts you may not intend to think but it just comes out from your heart. it's hard to control, so you might notice that you can argue with yourself. for instance, when you've done something bad, then some thoughts jugde against you.

third is your memory. it comes out from What you heard, saw, thought (or remember) You may notice that when you really get stressed from someone annoying you, then annoying voice from your memory comes out of your head and annoys you when you are trying to sleep or even you are sleeping.

Yeah, I am a bit weird.

but try not to think without falling asleep.
and post how long you did it

Don't count if you think "Yay I'm not thinking now" Silly.

If nobody posts, I would feel miserable
i've tried it many times, i can probably get maybe a few seconds and then i go "**** IM NOT THINKING!...WAIT **** I'M THINKING GOD DAMMIT"
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

i think that i didnt think...:S
but i cant be sure that i wasnt thinking because it subconsciously takes thought to stare at something

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
you can only not think when your not conciouss of trying not to think... like when your just vacantly staring in a car journey
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Most of the times i might not be thinking, it's only for a split second, then my brain wanders off to "i wonder what they think i'm thinking"
Quote by Tezza_Larks
i've tried it many times, i can probably get maybe a few seconds and then i go "**** IM NOT THINKING!...WAIT **** I'M THINKING GOD DAMMIT"

YAY, I wasn't the only weird person haha

Wait...........
If you didn't think at all you would die.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by St.Loony
Is that meditation?

I think it helps me clear my mind and relax. I don't know any meditation so it might be or might not be.
I just watch MTV and I quickly find I stop.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I've tried that before but then I end up singing a random song in my head

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
This is budist meditation isnt it.

One you can think nothing i think you have acheived inner peace or whatever they call it.
C4C
Latest song: Fading Silhouettes

Quote by goest
You raped someone with a knife, didn't you?
Quote by CTFOD

What makes you say that?
you are talking about meditation, use google if you need some tips on how to do it properly
i scream for ice cream
Quote by hayan
What makes you say that?

If you don't think at all, conciously or subconciously, your brain wouldn't be sending messages around your body to keep it functioning.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Mr Maggot
This is budist meditation isnt it.

One you can think nothing i think you have acheived inner peace or whatever they call it.

I've never known about budist. I've been a christian girl
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just watch MTV and I quickly find I stop.

QFT.

Quote by CTFOD
If you don't think at all, conciously or subconciously, your brain wouldn't be sending messages around your body to keep it functioning.

I don't think so ...

because I'm not talking about those kind of messages..
Quote by Mr Maggot
This is buddhist meditation isnt it.

Fix'd. You spelt buddhist wrong.

I read in a meditation book you can get into a trance and get high off meditation
Quote by Cianyx
Fix'd. You spelt buddhist wrong.

I read in a meditation book you can get into a trance and get high off meditation

Yeah, it's a form of self-hypnosis.
Quote by skaterskagg1
yeah i've wasted hours trying to not think at all. doesn't work.

Really? Were you laying down on the bed or just sitting when you were doing?
Quote by CTFOD

yeh thats wut i thort

Quote by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course
Quote by Tezza_Larks

haha that's what I did >_<
It is impossible to abstain from thinking. Thinking is just the reformation of the information gathered by the body's receptors (eyes, ears, etc.) into ideas which we interpret to have certain implications.

I couldn't really think of an easier way to put that... Thoughts are just data which have been sectioned off with other bits of data in order to form an idea. I try to think of it similar to Set Theory in Mathematics.

Anyway, your idea is an interesting way to look at the idea.

And during meditation, you focus on breathing and "nothing". That is the notion of nothingness, not a lack of thinking.
Quote by Haedadru
I suggest nicola teslas powered radiation death ray mounted on an orange, top secret, neo-nazi flying swastika

What?
If if stopped thinking, what part of your brain would remember to start thinking again?
Quote by aaciseric
You'd think the Pit would find not thinking easy.

epic pit diss

Quote by smb
Quote by Ic3
3-5 minutes od not thinking

Great
I did it for about 10 minutes
Quote by aaciseric
You'd think the Pit would find not thinking easy.

XD

Pit monkeys = Don't (Some Can't) Think

jk
A way to explain it would be that you need a language to think. You think in the same languages you speak, so a first step would be to try thinking in different languages.

When you have this down, try thinking in a language you don't yet master fully and try to go about your busines as usual. You will quickly run into problems, because even if you see, let's say, a computer in front of you, you might not be able to think of it because you don't know the word.
This is a light form of non-thought.

I would assume that's the way animals and infants who are yet to learn a language see the world.
I can do it for about half a second. I tried just now.

It depends on your definition of thinking, but technically speaking it is impossible to 'not think'.

Look at it this way - if your brain was devoid of activity you are medically dead. The subconscious elements of your brain are always in motion, from the moment you are conceived to the moment you die. Even in a coma, you are still neurotically-active.

If you consider thinking a purely conscious process, then you are only really not thinking when in the stage of sleep where conscious thought shuts down for a while... that being said, 'sleep' is a psychological theory because we often lose memory of events that occur when we're asleep but we obviously 'think' about dreams because sometimes we remember them and other times you remember small bits of it. There is a possibility that we think all through sleep and only remember certain bits (though I believe that is unlikely) but we cannot ultimately prove this... at least not with current technology anyway.

As for the people who mentioned vacantly staring out of a car window (a similar example would be when you become engrossed in a film and lose focus of your surrounding environment), that is actually the opposite. It's a state of mind called 'hyper-attentiveness' and is referred to by some as one form of hypnosis. The way it happens is through something called 'fixed gaze induction' and it occurs when you pay a very high amount of attention to something and without realising it, slip into a state of high concentration on that object or thought.

Then, stimuli in the outer limits of your perception can be made to affect your subconscious mind (depending on whether you admit to hypnosis actually existing or not) and often people can be persuaded to do stupid things they wouldn't normally do because the subconscious mind has fewer 'naturally acquired inhibitions' (like "don't do that, because it is embarassing in modern society") and the conscious mind isn't alert enough to restrict it happening.

Tl;dr = 'not thinking' is not possible. Proof is above. Judas Acolyte is correct, by the way
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 17, 2009,
Yeah, it's hard not to think. Even when you're trying not to think you're thinking not to think.

Yo dawg, I herd u like thinking so we put a thinking in your think so now you can think while you think.

That's why Harry had such problems blocking Voldemort from getting into his head - he had to block all thoughts.
Quote by psyks
If if stopped thinking, what part of your brain would remember to start thinking again?

Hmm You can still breath, See, Hear, I meant just not thinking which is usually "Test, sound, view forms"

you can watch the time
Page 1 of 3