some strats, like mine have only one, some, like the above picture, have 2.

this is my strats headstock:

as u can see from the pic, the G string looks almost like its on vertical line across the nut. is this normal?

i have ever experienced the string popping out of the nut due to some hardcore bending, and the occasional playing behind the nut, "heartbreaker solo".

is this due to my poor restringing, or the absence of a string tree/guide?
Quote by stratdud39
if the stringgs popping out of the nut its because of the nut, you need to file it down a bit, and what gauge strings do you use?

I wouldnt suggest filing down the nut just yet

Yeah, it looks pretty straight, you can try and get the string to wrap around the lower part of the tuning machine, to give a bit of a bend or a string tree as well would work, assuming the nut is correct, and it the nut does look correct from pics tho its better to look in person
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
yeah i realised that the way i strung might be the problem. it cant be the nut. because i just sent my strat for a setup recently, but i've restrung it twice already.

so, its my stringing technique i guess?

then why not a string tree?
Quote by DudeLove
yeah i realised that the way i strung might be the problem. it cant be the nut. because i just sent my strat for a setup recently, but i've restrung it twice already.

so, its my stringing technique i guess?

then why not a string tree?

if your strat didnt come with two string trees then you most likely wont need one
its not unusual or anything, most mim strats, if not all have only one, including mine.
you can use a string tree if you want, it would be doing the same thing as stringing towards the tuning machine body, your wanting the string to bend over the nut, which keeps it in place, a tree is a more elegant solution as then it wouldnt matter as much how you strung it
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
i dont use any string trees on my strat. i like the completly clean look i have on my headstock. no logo, no string trees, just tuners and strings. i think what you need to do is wind the string around the post a few more times when you string your guitar. gives a higher breaking angle across the nut which can help your problem. before i used locking tuners, i would try to get the string to wind all the way down the post. gives the best angle and seems to hold pitch better.