Poll: ?
Poll Options
View poll results: ?
Could care less
1 4%
Couldn't care less
27 96%
Voters: 28.
So I was wondering why some people say "I could care less", and some other people say it as "I couldn't care less" when they wish to express an opinion of not caring.

Myself, I say "couldn't care less" because I care so little about the topic that it would be impossible to care any less. Can someone explain the reasoning behind "could care less"?

inb4 "could care less"/"couldn't care less"
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Obviously because some of them could care less, whereas others probably or definitely could not.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by merfsullivan
Obviously because some of them could care less, whereas others probably or definitely could not.

But "could care less" doesn't set any level of non....caringness...

It just doesn't make sense...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
"I could care less" implies that you still care a bit, because you could even care less than you do now.
"I couldn't care less", however, implies that you're at the bottom of caring, you don't care one slightest bit, because you couldn't go lower than how much you care right now.

So the former doesn't make sense, the latter does.

/thread
It's a shortened version of 'I could care less, but it'd be pretty difficult.' meaning, like 'I couldn't care less' that the the person really doesn't care.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by ZeGuitarist
"I could care less" implies that you still care a bit, because you could even care less than you do now.
"I couldn't care less", however, implies that you're at the bottom of caring, you don't care one slightest bit, because you couldn't go lower than how much you care right now.

So the former doesn't make sense, the latter does.

/thread

and no report ? are you feeling ok? no versus threads

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

I couldn't care less that i think Vs threads aren't aloud?
HAI!

SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!SPAM! SPAM!
I find it's usually Americans that type it wrong so perhaps it's just how it's phrased there
1. although it's incorrect, "i could care less" somehow just sounds better. The brevity of the world "could" allows for a better transition into the word "care".

2. Although i don't use the phrase, i sometimes like to fancy "i could care less" as a threat of sorts. "I could care less, you bastard! Do you want me to? Because I'll do it! I'll push myself beyond the limits of indifference that I thought were unsurpassable and breach into unfound territory! Do you want that? Because I don't think you do!"

something along those lines...
I could care less is wrong. If anyone says it they are an idiot. There are some phrases which can be clever if you change a word or two, but not this one.