I have been looking at both of these amps and have to admit that I am a little bit of a tube amp n00b since all I have used up to this point are SS amps.

My question is whether or not these are actual tube amps. I know that they state they have SS rectifiers and I do not see a standby mode on either of them.

I am thinking of moving from a Vox AD30VT to Lil' Giant so I can use some pedals and get a nice tube sound. Would that actually be an upgrade?

Regardless of style, but I play Seether, Jet, Saliva. Not Thrash or any of that.

Thanks guys and girls.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Yes, they're real tube amps...no, they don't have standby. Plenty of tube amps have SS rectifiers.

It would certainly be an upgrade, but for a bit more headroom before breakup, I'd go with the handsome devil.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Yes, they're real tube amps...no, they don't have standby. Plenty of tube amps have SS rectifiers.

It would certainly be an upgrade, but for a bit more headroom before breakup, I'd go with the handsome devil.

definitely the handsome devil

with that its perfect for bedroom practice and small gigs/practices

the little giant is pretty much only good for bedroom or recording

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

The Handsome Devil sounds good for you, and yes, they are real tube amps.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Little Giant is loud, loud enough to cut through a drummer even, and gigs miked.

Handsome Devil is too loud for bedrooms.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Little Giant is loud, loud enough to cut through a drummer even, and gigs miked.

Handsome Devil is too loud for bedrooms.

No it isn't, I play my Crate V33 comfortably at bedroom levels.

Loud is how it's supposed to be.
Quote by Mr.Camo
No it isn't, I play my Crate V33 comfortably at bedroom levels.

Loud is how it's supposed to be.

Loud can be too loud if you have neighbors or a family.

Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 17, 2009,
You can absolutly play the HD in the bedroom. You can play quiet and still get those tube tones, it loves OD pedals. It is all tube.

Quote by timzee117
definitely the handsome devil

with that its perfect for bedroom practice and small gigs/practices

the little giant is pretty much only good for bedroom or recording

With the mids up, it cuts through a moderately heavy drummer. Its no bedroom amp, unless you're only playing cleans.
Quote by Sin City Sid
^ Not true!

Edit: the not bedroom part.

It definitely is.

You'd have to get a attenuator to even begin to think about it getting natural distortion at bedroom levels.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
It definitely is.

You'd have to get a attenuator to even begin to think about it getting natural distortion at bedroom levels.

Do you have one of these, because I do. I have an attenuator as well but I don't always use it. You can get good tone out of it at bedroom levels, no problem.
Quote by Sin City Sid
Do you have one of these, because I do. I have an attenuator as well but I don't always use it. You can get good tone out of it at bedroom levels, no problem.

No warm tube tone, or heavy clipping. Tube amps gradually clip, so you need a louder sound to get a nice crunch. You start with amp distortion, then add more. He plays Salivaish bands. He needs a nice classic rock distortion. Hard to do at low volumes without tone suckage from the attenuator as well.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Sin City Sid
^answer the queston! Do you own one?

I have.

I got a Little Giant instead and sold the HD, because it is better at lower volumes.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Oh, attenuators? I own a 100W Weber Mass.

WTF dude? No, a Handsome Devil.
Quote by Sin City Sid
WTF dude? No, a Handsome Devil.

Yes...

I now have a Little Giant, as you can see in the pictures... I use my Egnater Rebel for most other things. I currently don't have it with me for pictures to show you - my friends basement flooded after snow melt and heavy rain here in Oregon, and he lost some of his vintage gear, and has no amp right now as well. I lended him my Egnater to use until he gets another amp.
Ohhh, I got you mixed up with the other dude Jason, sorry. Well I disagree, either way, you can get that tone easily with the Devil. Sometimes I get tired of people here talking out their backsides, saying crap about stuff they have never owned or even played. Yeah if your talking clean but breaking up on hard attack then yeah, its gonna be a bit loud, but still not so bad the cops will be called

Bummer about your friend. Man I was going to buy one of those Rebels, Sounded good but I just couldn't part with the cash, same with the TT.
My little giant is finally going to come in the post tomorrow. I'm pumped.

I'd rather have a great tone than an amp with a whole bunch of options that I don't even need or use.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Sin City Sid

You and I must have different ideas of what bedroom level is. The only thing you can get on these without waking up the rest of the house and without some kind of pedal pushing the amp is light blues. The amp doesn't start to get into a rock level of gain until about 2 o'clock on the volume dial and by then you're looking at enough volume to hang with a drummer. Thats not to say you won't get great tones at bedroom levels, just that the OP isn't going to get the tone he's looking for at bedroom levels. And yes, I own one.
Last edited by Jason43 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Jason43
You and I must have different ideas of what bedroom level is. The only thing you can get on these without waking up the rest of the house and without some kind of pedal pushing the amp is light blues. The amp doesn't start to get into a rock level of gain until about 2 o'clock on the volume dial and by then you're looking at enough volume to hang with a drummer. Thats not to say you won't get great tones at bedroom levels, just that the OP isn't going to get the tone he's looking for at bedroom levels. And yes, I own one.

Hey man, its all good. No one stated what bedroom level is. I do classify that setting as bedroom level. then again I don't think any tube amp is going to be really quiet enough to let others sleep in the house, without an attenuator. I had a bud that built one of those firefly amps and even that was loud enough at .75w too piss everybody in the house off when it was dimed. Also I don't think that he is going to get Saliva or Seether tone without pedals anyway.
Quote by Sin City Sid
Hey man, its all good. No one stated what bedroom level is. I do classify that setting as bedroom level. then again I don't think any tube amp is going to be really quiet enough to let others sleep in the house, without an attenuator. I had a bud that built one of those firefly amps and even that was loud enough at .75w too piss everybody in the house off when it was dimed. Also I don't think that he is going to get Saliva or Seether tone without pedals anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODn9T4RozU
Quote by Sin City Sid
^ I'm confused at what that was supposed to mean.

That amp is more than capable of playing at low volumes without waking up members of the house. I forgot to bold :P
I get a nice quiet level on mine with an OD pedal. amp volume at say 10:00, gain at 9:00, the pedal volume at max and gain at zero. No attenuator. I can give it more dirt in the amp and still stay in that range.
Even one of the Blackheart Killer Ant amps can be loud enough to wake up everyone in the house, and possibly everyone in your neighbors' houses, if you plug it into a full stack. Try this on for size. Of course, it would definitely be quieter through a single 8" or 10" speaker, but where's the fun in that?

In all seriousness, if you wanted to get quiet power tube distortion, I'm pretty sure even the Little Giant would be rather loud. Preamp distortion is another story; if that's all you're looking for, the Handsome Devil would work great.
Ok, as a 16 year old who owns a Little Giant, I can say this much.

Using the 3w channel, you can crank at bedroom levels without pissing off your family. 5w, forget it. Everyone in the house will bang down your door in your basement bedroom even though they were all upstairs while you were playing.

Both channels are too loud if people are trying to sleep. You can play them clean, but even a little dirt is gonna be too loud.

Yes, they are real tube amps like everyone else has said. They don't have standby, but that isn't really that big of a deal. There's actually a mod kit for a 3-way off/standby/on switch.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks everyone for your answers. I really appreciate it. One other question is if there is any way to use headphones with it.

I am a beginner at this point and right now mainly use headphones with my Vox. I know that I would have to turn the volume up pretty far on a tube amp to get that crunch and overdrive I am looking for. I notice that if I turn the attenuator up to only about half on the Vox 30 watt that the walls vibrate and I have already had a picture fall off the wall. Not to mention I am a beginner and don't want the neighborhood hearing my mistakes all the time.

I really want to upgrade to a tube amp for the true warm sound, but I am wondering if it really matters at this point and my level of playing. If I can't turn it up to the levels needed, should i just stay with my modeling amp?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by Rio38
Thanks everyone for your answers. I really appreciate it. One other question is if there is any way to use headphones with it.

I am a beginner at this point and right now mainly use headphones with my Vox. I know that I would have to turn the volume up pretty far on a tube amp to get that crunch and overdrive I am looking for. I notice that if I turn the attenuator up to only about half on the Vox 30 watt that the walls vibrate and I have already had a picture fall off the wall. Not to mention I am a beginner and don't want the neighborhood hearing my mistakes all the time.

I really want to upgrade to a tube amp for the true warm sound, but I am wondering if it really matters at this point and my level of playing. If I can't turn it up to the levels needed, should i just stay with my modeling amp?

I'm going to go on the side of tube amps are good for beginners because they do show a lot of your mistakes, which in turn, helps you correct them. Try and get your hands on a Killer Ant or Little Giant, I know my Handsome Devil and Little Giant (when I had one) helped me a lot in the long run. My Handsome Devil is still in use.