Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm just wondering; has the RIAA already begun working with ISPs to shut down people's net connections if they've been downloading illegally?

Because I lost my connection the other day and I'm kind of freaked out because that has never happened before. Now I have to use a Sprint Aircard.
Gutted
I have no idea, i actually buy my music, so i'm not up to date with the RIAA
the whole net has been acting weird but I don't illegally download music so I'm ok.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
torrents arent illeagal right?
*gets ready to delete all torrents*
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
i don't know if they started this yet or not.

i would imagine you would get some sort of notice informing you to stop downloading though. i don't think the first step is to immediately cut off your connection. i was under the impression they would warn you first, then proceed to cut off your connection if you didn't comply.
I'm pretty sure they'd have to notify you first.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Quote by daytripper75
i don't know if they started this yet or not.

i would imagine you would get some sort of notice informing you to stop downloading though. i don't think the first step is to immediately cut off your connection. i was under the impression they would warn you first, then proceed to cut off your connection if you didn't comply.

How would they warn you?
no, and a few ISPs have publicly stated that they have no intention of working with the RIAA on this.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
How would they warn you?

either by email, or more likely by sending you an actual letter.
Quote by Helloween4Ever

Obviously they're illegal. It's really not that difficult to figure out if it's illegal or not, all you have to do is think "did I pay for this or not?" and if they answer is no then it's probably illegal.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Do you really think it's in the best interest of business for those ISPs to cut you off?

"What's that, you won't let me download this ****? Okay, I'll go and find an ISP that will, bitch."
Quote by mreed1990
the whole net has been acting weird but I don't illegally download music so I'm ok.

The "whole net" can't act weird uniformly. It's a series of servers that communicate, so unless something is wrong on YOUR end.

Quote by sam b
What's up with UG?

I was thinking this too.

Quote by Helloween4Ever

Quote by Encyclopedia
I'm pretty sure they'd have to notify you first.

Actually no. The contracts for internet service that all of us have signed are the same as cable, and cell phone service. The fine print reads that they basically do NOT have to give you ANY service at any point, and that's just too bad for you. Nor do they have to tell you WHY you may lose service at any point.

Sorta like with World of Warcraft, your account can be deleted at any time and you have absolutely no push to get a reason why.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no, and a few ISPs have publicly stated that they have no intention of working with the RIAA on this.

I didn't know this. That's good news for people I suppose, the Neo-Nazi's in the RIAA need to just **** off and stop raping their musicians for album sales.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
This is how it work's, or atleast how i think it work's.

You're ISP monitors all traffic that is coming/ going from your PC, they can see all the IP addresses of the servers which you connect to, they can also see what ports your computer is using, i think web browsers use port 80, or something along those lines, so large amounts of dating going through that port is probably acceptable, however file sharing, torrents and P2P networks use specific ports on your PC (usaully a range of ports, sometimes the sharing software selects random ports) however your ISP will have blocked this range of ports from access all together, or maybe just throttled it down to say 2/kbps.

So basically your ISP knows what servers your connecting too (IP addrsess and website/ host name) and the ports that your computer has open and is using.

so all technical stuff aside your ISP will know if your downloading P2P files (it usaully only worries about massive uploaders though, since that slows there network down and the telephone exchanges more) they will then send you out a notice with your monthly build or whatever saying that they have information which suggests you are illegally uploading/ downloading copyrighted materials and then they will probably warn you that if you carry on this behaviour that they will take further action disconnect you or report you to the RIAA, which i dont think they would, but you never know. depends how much they get paid for this.

But you could just tell the ISP that your uploading/ downloading data for your work which you do, for example say you do photography work, tell them your uploading large uncompressed images for clients and/ or other photographers. they cant ask for prove since they dont have the rights to view whats on your computer and they couldnt take any further action.

by the way an uncompressed HD photograph, in say PSD format with a few layers could easily be 200MB, and an album in MP3 format is usaully about 95MB, so it could all add up
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Archaon
Do you really think it's in the best interest of business for those ISPs to cut you off?

"What's that, you won't let me download this ****? Okay, I'll go and find an ISP that will, bitch."

True, but it could work against the companies if they know that people are stealing and they're not doing anything to stop it. I suppose they could make a case like if somebody is getting raped and you're just standing there watching instead of trying to stop the rapist.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Obviously they're illegal. It's really not that difficult to figure out if it's illegal or not, all you have to do is think "did I pay for this or not?" and if they answer is no then it's probably illegal.

Torrents = plain text files.

Plain text files =/= copyright.

Therefore torrents =/= copyright.

Why do you think PirateBay has been up for so long, and has avoided dozens of lawsuits?
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
wow no one caught the joke. sarcasm doesnt work well through a keyboard.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Quote by PlayMadness
Torrents = plain text files.

Plain text files =/= copyright.

Therefore torrents =/= copyright.

Why do you think PirateBay has been up for so long, and has avoided dozens of lawsuits?

That may be true but do you really think that's going to hold up if you get taken to court? "Your honor I swear, I thought they were just plain text files I was downloading, not music/movies/games!"
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
True, but it could work against the companies if they know that people are stealing and they're not doing anything to stop it. I suppose they could make a case like if somebody is getting raped and you're just standing there watching instead of trying to stop the rapist.

...What?

The point is you find an ISP that allows you to get away with it. Forget about the moral justifications the RIAA tries to bring up to these ISPs.
Quote by Archaon
...What?

The point is you find an ISP that allows you to get away with it. Forget about the moral justifications the RIAA tries to bring up to these ISPs.

My point is that if you get caught by the RIAA then it doesn't matter what ISP you have since they will go after YOU. They don't have to catch your ISP doing anything wrong if they can prove that you have been illegally downloading.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by shooterman
does this effect the programs like limewire and so on

I'd say so.

But imagine how many people use limewire.

They can't stop that many connections. They'd just have the worst, the "most wanted".
Well really the torrents aren't anything illegal.

The torrent won't do anything unless you use it. It would be like legally owning a gun, then being arrested because they though you might kill someone.

Well not quite but...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I know what your talking about TS.

ALL of my torrents go retarded after a while and stop working so I restart my computer and it will download for a while, but then it stops working again
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by floppypick
Well really the torrents aren't anything illegal.

The torrent won't do anything unless you use it. It would be like legally owning a gun, then being arrested because they though you might kill someone.

Well not quite but...

Yes, becuase everybody gets a torrent and doesn't use it - that is why they get one, to not use it.

/sarcasm
Quote by MetalMegaMan
I know what your talking about TS.

ALL of my torrents go retarded after a while and stop working so I restart my computer and it will download for a while, but then it stops working again

thats what happened to my coheed & Cambria torrent. none of them work now.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
I'm gonna cry if they shut it all down.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by MetalMegaMan
I'm gonna cry if they shut it all down.

Shut what down?

UG?
Torrents?
Wal Mart?
What?
Quote by floppypick

The torrent won't do anything unless you use it.

Nor will an audio file you download. It's just going to sit there unless you play it, just like a torrent.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
My point is that if you get caught by the RIAA then it doesn't matter what ISP you have since they will go after YOU. They don't have to catch your ISP doing anything wrong if they can prove that you have been illegally downloading.

No. They can't catch you unless your ISP gives out your information. i.e. all the **** you've been doing on the internet.

If they acquire it through illegal means then it doesn't ****ing matter because they have no case.
Quote by thsrayas
Nor will an audio file you download. It's just going to sit there unless you play it, just like a torrent.

Dude, you're not getting any of this. I suggest you educate yourself before you act like you've got it all figured out.

Torrent files are NOTHING unless they've been used - meaning that the file is incomplete unless it's been seeded to you. An audio file is a complete file that has already been downloaded.
Last edited by Archaon at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Archaon

Dude, you're not getting any of this. I suggest you educate yourself before you act like you've got it all figured out.

Torrent files are NOTHING unless they've been used - meaning that the file is incomplete unless it's been seeded to you. An audio file is a complete file that has already been downloaded.

Yes, but why would someone get a torrent not to use it?
From what i have read the downloads go through a different isp port than your normal internet traffic and this is usualy a random port number so does anyone know if you can change the ISP port your downloads go through to the normal ISP port your usual internet traffic go through and how if that is possible?
Quote by shooterman
From what i have read the downloads go through a different isp port than your normal internet traffic and this is usualy a random port number so does anyone know if you can change the ISP port your downloads go through to the normal ISP port your usual internet traffic go through and how if that is possible?

It depends what you're downloading through.
Quote by Archaon
No. They can't catch you unless your ISP gives out your information. i.e. all the **** you've been doing on the internet.

If they acquire it through illegal means then it doesn't ****ing matter because they have no case.

If they present their case to a judge and are able to get a warrant then the ISP has to comply, it doesn't matter what their policy is. If someone is illegally downloading a lot then they might think that it's worth their time to go after them.

And how many people just download torrents and let them sit there? What would be the point of downloading something if you're not going to use it? Your point about torrents not being anything until seeded is a valid point but it doesn't work because nobody downloads files and just lets them sit on their computer unopened.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Last edited by thsrayas at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Yes, but why would someone get a torrent not to use it?

Doesn't matter, dude. You haven't done anything illegal until you've started downloading the file. You're not gonna be fined for just having a torrent.
Quote by Archaon

Doesn't matter, dude. You haven't done anything illegal until you've started downloading the file. You're not gonna be fined for just having a torrent.

But the point of torrents is to download files, they're not going to charge you unless you've actually downloaded something but there isn't a point of having torrents unless you're going to download something.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
If they present their case to a judge and are able to get a warrant then the ISP has to comply, it doesn't matter what their policy is. If someone is illegally downloading a lot then they might think that it's worth their time to go after them.

And how many people just download torrents and let them sit there? What would be the point of downloading something if you're not going to use it? Your point about torrents not being anything until opened is a valid point but it doesn't work because nobody downloads files and just lets them sit on their computer unopened.

First of all, what kind of judge is going to issue a warrant with completely baseless proof? The RIAA isn't allowed to monitor your online activities (as far as I know). If they're going to get any dirt on you it's going to be from your ISP, and a lot of ISPs have agreements that they will not disclose that sort of information.

They cannot know if someone is illegally downloading a lot unless they're monitoring them. Thus, they have no justification for getting a warrant from a judge.
Quote by Archaon

Do you think I don't know that?

And how many people just download torrents and let them sit there? What would be the point of downloading something if you're not going to use it? Your point about torrents not being anything until seeded is a valid point but it doesn't work because nobody downloads files and just lets them sit on their computer unopened.

Quote by thsrayas
But the point of torrents is to download files, they're not going to charge you unless you've actually downloaded something but there isn't a point of having torrents unless you're going to download something.

And don't flame them for saying the exact same thing as me but in detail
Page 1 of 2