Poll: Which should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which should I get?
Second hand ebay ltd ec1000 from Canada for £600
9 50%
New ltd ec500 for £575
9 50%
Voters: 18.
Ok so I'm planning on getting a ltd ec500 and today I went to Denmark street (London, UK). I asked and they said it costs 750 quid while on the website http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk its 575+postage. However on ebay there's a second hand ec1000 (from Canada)) for 600 (including postage). I'm really undecided, should I risk going for the ebay guitar?
thanks
Has the guy got a good feedback thing on eBay? Is the guitar in good nick? Can you get a refund off him if you don't like it?

If so, I'd rather get the better guitar, to be honest. Just make sure you play one to see if it's right for you.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
yeah, a lot of the shops on denmark street are run by utter douchebags, if they think you're interested they up the price and hope you don't have the sense to check the RRP first. personally, i wouldn't buy from them because of that (though i should add that vintage and rare and runjo are cool).

that's a lot of money for a LTD, to be honest. and if you buy from canada, you're going to be hit with a big shipping cost, and you're likely to be hit by customs too (could be 25% of the total price, including the shipping fee). so it's likely to end up being expensive, too.

do you definitely want a LTD? what is it about them that you like?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is the bid:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-LTD-EC-1000-DELUXE-BLACK-Electric-Guitar-MINT_W0QQitemZ140291166632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item140291166632&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

And when I went to the shop I tried the ec1000 and it was pretty good ,nice sound/feel etc. tbh i always liked the lp shape and after reading the ug recommended gear thread thing I wanted to try em out. but yeah its a shame that at denmark st they keep jacking up the prices, the ec500 should be £500. Btw i never really thought about the ec1000 cos its basically the ec500 (same body,neck,pickups) with slightly better hardware, the extra £200 isnt worth it i think.
i mean, is it just the LP shape you want? or do you want a more modern take on a LP?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well if I just wanted the lp shape, I would have gone for one of those cheap Tokai knockoffs
sure the shape is a bonus, but its also the emgs, neck , finish etc. I can tell you it feels much more solid compared to my rg350!

oh and fyi esp discontinued the ec500 and replaced with the ec401fm:same specs but different finish/colours
link
it actually looks pretty nice, for 600 new its not too bad.
i was going to suggest you go with a japanese-made tokai, which start at around the £500 mark (i think the LS85 is the model number). Believe me, it's not a cheap knockoff, it'll give a Gibson a run for its money (unlike epiphone, vintage, etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm ok, sure I wouldn't mind trying some out (that model goes at £800 though link ), I remember there was a shop full of tokais. However I have to admit that even though I play a fairly broad range of styles (hard rock, blues, jazzy stuff) I mainly play heavy/thrash metal, would Tokais be good enough for that?

edit: found this for £700 link looks sweet though its still £100 more than the ec401fm
Last edited by classical_gas at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by classical_gas
hmm ok, sure I wouldn't mind trying some out (that model goes at £800 though link ), I remember there was a shop full of tokais. However I have to admit that even though I play a fairly broad range of styles (hard rock, blues, jazzy stuff) I mainly play heavy/thrash metal, would Tokais be good enough for that?

edit: found this for £700 link looks sweet though its still £100 more than the ec401fm

richtone (a shop) is selling some of them new on ebay for around the £500-£600 mark, i think. just go to ebay and type in "tokai" and they should come up. or you could try a google search for his shop's own website.

those prices on the tokais you linked to are based on the newer prices, because the pound has recently completely collapsed against the yen. if you can find some new old stock examples, which the shop bought at the old exchange rate, you should be able to get them a lot cheaper.

if you *mainly* play heavy/thrash metal, i'm not sure about a LP- i definitely prefer my edwards (another japanese copy of a les paul) for stuff up to and including hard rock... though i imagine different pickups would help there, but then that's more expense.

Basically, if you can find a tokai dealer close by, try them (and make sure you're trying the japanese ones- with any luck it'll say "made in japan" on the back of the headstock, but if it doesn't, the model should be "LSXX" if it's a japanese one). if you don't like them, or they're too much aimed at classic rock, then it's back to trying those LTDs...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?