I know it's best to use a condenser mic for recording acoustic guitar, but is there any good way to get a nice sound with a dynamic mic? I'm looking for placement tips if anyone has any!

Cheers guys!
Unless you are at high skill level, it way overrated. Dynamics work fine. To get a good stereo effect plus full acoustic tone, you want either two mics (one near hole/bridge, one near 12 fret to pick up harmonics). If you have acoustic electric, then I would just use that + mic 12th fret and pan each channel a bit left and a bit right to separate. Use quality strings.
Quote by ozarkracer
Unless you are at high skill level, it way overrated. Dynamics work fine. To get a good stereo effect plus full acoustic tone, you want either two mics (one near hole/bridge, one near 12 fret to pick up harmonics). If you have acoustic electric, then I would just use that + mic 12th fret and pan each channel a bit left and a bit right to separate. Use quality strings.

Is there a good mono way to do it? I only have one mic. Thanks
the way he said, about using the mic, and the saddle pickup, only needs one mic.

so i asume your acoustic doesnt have a picup at all?
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
the way he said, about using the mic, and the saddle pickup, only needs one mic.

so i asume your acoustic doesnt have a picup at all?

It's electro acoustic with a mic inside the body, but I'd like to be able to mic it up nicely aswell.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try them!
i would angle it toward the sound hole around the 15th fret and about two inches off the guitar

what make and model is the mic?

also going direct isn't ideal for studio use. its a pretty nasty sound for studio use unless you pay a lot of money for a decent pickup and even then...ew.
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by guitargod5
i would angle it toward the sound hole around the 15th fret and about two inches off the guitar

what make and model is the mic?

also going direct isn't ideal for studio use. its a pretty nasty sound for studio use unless you pay a lot of money for a decent pickup and even then...ew.

It's a Shure SM58

And yeah, electro acoustic just doesn't sound right :/