I have a 72 Gibson Flying V. I love this guitar, but I can't seem to get the sound I want. It never sounds full. I know there are allot of factors that can go into making it sound richer, but my question would be where do I start. My amp is an old PV Pacer. I don't have allot of money to start switching everything around, I am just looking for some simple solutions. I thought maybe some type of pedal.

Thanks, Todd
get a new amp. dont get a pedal, it wont make your amp sound any better. if anything it will make it sound worse.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Get some heavy strings if you don't already use them. I recommend DR's.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
I like the 80's rock sound. What is a good amp to buy now a days with a limited budget? It has been some time since I looked into this stuff.
Quote by tkuchcik
I like the 80's rock sound. What is a good amp to buy now a days with a limited budget? It has been some time since I looked into this stuff.

Blackheart Little Giant

Epiphone Valve Junior
I took a look at the Blackheart. It had good reviews. Cool looking amp. I see it is a tube . Am I going to have to crank this sucker up to get the sound I want? What about sustain. The Flying V that I have has so little wood that you really don't get allot of sustain out of it.
the little giant might not have as much gain as you want. its tube, but it can be brought down to 3 watts i think, so you can crank it pretty high without making it too loud. do you have a specific budget?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
flying v's have a ton of sustain, especialy a 35 year old one (am assuming it's been played a lot), set it up with thicker strings and maybe you might need to raise the pickups?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
the little giant might not have as much gain as you want. its tube, but it can be brought down to 3 watts i think, so you can crank it pretty high without making it too loud. do you have a specific budget?

Lmao.

It is REALLY loud even at 3 watts. Fully cranked rattles windows on Triode... The Pentode setting sounds less tinny clean - it is incredible. I'd recommend a halfstack version over the combo. Quite a few mods, tranny mods, revoicing switches, new tubes... It really is a DIYer's dream amp. I have one and I love it.

My Gibson SG has less wood and I can get a powerchord to last a good 12 seconds.
Over the years I changed the pickup to a Dimarzio. I don't know if it is helping me. I will try heavier strings. My budget maybe $200. So basically a cool sounding practice amp.
Quote by tkuchcik
Over the years I changed the pickup to a Dimarzio. I don't know if it is helping me. I will try heavier strings. My budget maybe $200. So basically a cool sounding practice amp.

I'd recommend throwing in some GFS Mean 90's - They are Humbuckers mixed with P90s. Very nice sounding, could definitely get that rich and full sound you're looking for, and only run you about $75.00 including shipping for a set of two.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/me90glbltral.html
Neck pickup is on the bottom of the page.

A Roland Microcube is THE best practice amp out there, and it costs $125.00
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-102542180-i1175936.gc

So, you're at $5.00 left.

Use the $5.00 to get some 10's or 11's on it.