I really like my solos (and quite a lot of shred metal) and recently ive got good enough to start playing quite fast to really fast solos [havent really got really fast speed though!] and i was wondering what style i should be using and whether its correct.

Normally i would tremolo picking, from the wrist for when im doing something that will go down a few frets on some strings (say - a scale) where i quickly go over the whole fretboard and string skip.

But ive been coming to parts in some solos like if anyone is familiar with "Mercenary Man" by Firewind, theres a particular part its real fast, and my alternate picking feels like its peaked at the speed i can get it and i still cant reach that full tempo and it can become quite sloppy.

My question is anyway, do the great solo'ers tend to use Tremolo picking more or alternate picking to get great speeds? Ive tried myself to tremolo pick but i seem to get 2 notes instead of one.
[Yes i know that tremolo is basically alternate picking but real fast].
Tremolo picking refers to quickly picking a single note as fast as you can with no regard for time and rhythm, just speed. The picking techniques you'll be using for licks that change note with frequency, most anything fast, are alternate and economy picking. Don't worry about economy picking yet if you don't know what it is as you should learn to alternate pick first. Anyway, you'll want to alternate pick those passages. Don't feel bad if you get to a quick speed but not full tempo and then hit a wall and progress very slowly; that is very common and you just kind of have to deal with it and practice.
Quote by K0tsk
I really like my solos (and quite a lot of shred metal) and recently ive got good enough to start playing quite fast to really fast solos [havent really got really fast speed though!] and i was wondering what style i should be using and whether its correct.

Normally i would tremolo picking, from the wrist for when im doing something that will go down a few frets on some strings (say - a scale) where i quickly go over the whole fretboard and string skip.

But ive been coming to parts in some solos like if anyone is familiar with "Mercenary Man" by Firewind, theres a particular part its real fast, and my alternate picking feels like its peaked at the speed i can get it and i still cant reach that full tempo and it can become quite sloppy.

My question is anyway, do the great solo'ers tend to use Tremolo picking more or alternate picking to get great speeds? Ive tried myself to tremolo pick but i seem to get 2 notes instead of one.
[Yes i know that tremolo is basically alternate picking but real fast].

Everything i've highlighted in bold didn't make sense.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Tremolo picking refers to quickly picking a single note as fast as you can with no regard for time and rhythm, just speed. The picking techniques you'll be using for licks that change note with frequency, most anything fast, are alternate and economy picking. Don't worry about economy picking yet if you don't know what it is as you should learn to alternate pick first. Anyway, you'll want to alternate pick those passages. Don't feel bad if you get to a quick speed but not full tempo and then hit a wall and progress very slowly; that is very common and you just kind of have to deal with it and practice.

Will it just come eventually then?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Prolly.

Not surprisingly, playing a hard song takes some hard work.

Think the best thing to do would be to not be lazy and tremolo pick it?
Quote by K0tsk
Think the best thing to do would be to not be lazy and tremolo pick it?
Please read what I wrote about tremolo picking. If you play -5-7-8-7-8-7-5- by alternating down and up strokes, you are not tremolo picking.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Please read what I wrote about tremolo picking. If you play -5-7-8-7-8-7-5- by alternating down and up strokes, you are not tremolo picking.

Ah right. I see