Can any one suggest me a good place to buy an amp kit. I'm not sure what type of amp I would like to build but I would like to find somewhere that sells kits that use quality parts that are based as close as possible to some vintage amps.

I have been searching around and have found CeriaTone but shipping them from Malaysia cost way to much for my liking. I have also found Weber amp kits but I really don't know how good they are. Do they use quality parts or will I have to replace transformers and stuff like that for them to be reliable?

I am open to any suggestions. I would like to find a kit that has nearly 100% assembly required, that was another reason I didn't like CeriaTone, it seems that they send you a completed circuit board leaving you to just assemble the chassis and controls.

I'm not worried about the complexity of building an amp and actually the more complex better as far as I'm concerned. I enjoy building stuff like this but I hate having to find plans and source all the parts myself I would rather get a kit that is ready to build.
Have you looked at www.AX84.com? They may not be exactly modeled after anything in particular, but they are nice sounding/vintage sounding amps.

I read your whole post, but if the case is more to what is from paragraph 3, I'd avoid the kit concept all together. Look at old schematics:http://schematicheaven.com/index_HTML.htm

Find one you like, buy the parts from various suppliers, and build it. One thing that you may know already, but alot of people have this misconception. DO NOT expect to build a quality amp for cheap. This should not be the reason you are building your vintage styled amp. It should be that you want a quality piece of gear that you worked hard on. It is quite rewarding, but can be expensive. You may come out ahead, but do not make this your goal.
I have several reasons for wanting to build my own, mostly I like to tear stuff apart to learn how it works but that is generally counter productive. So I would like to build one from the ground up to have the experience and learn more about it.

Saving some money would be nice but I understand that it cost money to have quality parts I just feel that many of the mass produced amps are overpriced when you look at the cost of the actual parts that go into them.

More importantly though is the fact that with any thing that is mass produced you are bound to run into quality control issues and at least with a kit if the workmanship causes problems I only have myself to blame. By assembling it myself I am hoping to learn how maintain it myself too. I have been looking for a kit rather than just grabbing a schematic and buying parts separately mostly just because I like to build stuff but I hate trying to find everything to for the project.

As for wanting one that is more vintage based I just like their sound more, I have never really been a fan of the modern high gain sound.

Anyway thanks for the reply I will go check those sites.
Last edited by Demigawd at Jan 17, 2009,
I would avoid Torres kits, but www.tedWeber.com and AX84 rock.
Epiphone Valve Junior
Peavy Windsor Head
Ampeg J-12T
1959 Harmony H400A
Randall Pro-Tube 2000

Gibson Faded Special SG
Homemade superstrat with EMG 81
Peavy Tracer
Washburn XB600 6-string bass
Enough pedals to crush a rhino
I second the ax84 and schematicheaven suggestions... You can either get a decent kit from ax84 or the schematic for a really cool amp from schematicheaven and then start from scratch. But I havent built an amp so I cant say which would be better...
I have been looking into this for a while and originally I had wanted to go the route of getting a schematic and buying parts but I had no idea where to get some of the parts.

I have found where to get all the components capacitors, resistors, pots and stuff like that. I have even found everything to make turret boards, but I have been having trouble finding a pre-made blank chassis to put it all in. I can build a cabinet for it all with no problem but I don't have the equipment to make a chassis out of sheet metal.
Last edited by Demigawd at Jan 17, 2009,
If you have some tin snips, a drill, some pliers, and a rivet gun, you should be able to make a pretty decent chassis for it... Hell I've seen some chassis made out of cake pans before...
Quote by Demigawd
I have several reasons for wanting to build my own, mostly I like to tear stuff apart to learn how it works but that is generally counter productive. So I would like to build one from the ground up to have the experience and learn more about it.

Saving some money would be nice but I understand that it cost money to have quality parts I just feel that many of the mass produced amps are overpriced when you look at the cost of the actual parts that go into them.

More importantly though is the fact that with any thing that is mass produced you are bound to run into quality control issues and at least with a kit if the workmanship causes problems I only have myself to blame. By assembling it myself I am hoping to learn how maintain it myself too. I have been looking for a kit rather than just grabbing a schematic and buying parts separately mostly just because I like to build stuff but I hate trying to find everything to for the project.

As for wanting one that is more vintage based I just like their sound more, I have never really been a fan of the modern high gain sound.

Anyway thanks for the reply I will go check those sites.

Did it ever occur to you that is costs money to...
Hire people to design the amp.
Build the amp.
Prototype the amp.
Market and promote the amp.
and on and on....

Don't expect a great amp build quality wise if it's your first time. Having prior experience building elec stuff prior to an amp helps though.
I'm not here to discuss why I want to build one or why I dislike mass produced products, I was simply looking for some help finding a good place to buy a kit. I have never built an amplifier before but I have been working with electronics as a hobby for over 20 years and have built many projects, I find the project it self fun and the results rewarding.
^they are the best kits on the market, and yeah, my 10% UG discount applies to amp kits too.

If you are looking for vintage tone the mojo kits are the best on the market.

Here is a soundclip of the mojo tweed twin. It's one of my PAF style humbuckers in the neck of a cheap knockoff chinese LP. No FX and no digital precessing. Just hit record and let it go. All the tonal changes are done with the tone controls on the guitar.

http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/sounds/twinclean.mp3

Beats the hell of of the fender reissue
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jan 18, 2009,