Hey there!

So ive been thinking about buying new pickups for my guitar. However, my guitar has nice chrome covers on the pickups and the new ones don't. So my questions are:
Is it hard/possible to remove the Covers without destroying the pickups?And would I be able to put them on the new pickups (dimensions)? And finally, would it change the sound significantly?

Thanks for reading!
Dr.Evil Knödel
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
Sometimes it is ok to remove, sometimes it isn't.

I'd recommend getting pickups already with covers on them if the look matters that much. Mounting rings might another option for you? They look cool.

What are the two pickups in question?
not hard at all... get a soldering iron, soften the solder, then get it off with a screwdriver. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE COILS. THIS CAN AND WILL BREAK YOUR PICKUP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
not hard at all... get a soldering iron, soften the solder, then get it off with a screwdriver. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE COILS. THIS CAN AND WILL BREAK YOUR PICKUP.

Sometimes they can fall apart... Have to mind the bobbin and the wax, among other things.

Open coil pickups usually have cloth ribbon wrapped around the coils to cover the wax on the pickups, whereas ones with covers usually don't, at least, in my experience.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Sometimes they can fall apart... Have to mind the bobbin and the wax, among other things.

Open coil pickups usually have cloth ribbon wrapped around the coils to cover the wax on the pickups, whereas ones with covers usually don't, at least, in my experience.

Still, the wire is so thin any sharp force to it will sever it requiring a rewind.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
also you might have to repot the pup after you cover it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the chrome covers on humbuckers smooth out the sound. if the pickup was meant to operate without a cover, it'll probably be kinda muddy sounding if you put a cover on it. Likewise, a covered humbucker with the pickup removed can have a harsh top end.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
the chrome covers on humbuckers smooth out the sound. if the pickup was meant to operate without a cover, it'll probably be kinda muddy sounding if you put a cover on it. Likewise, a covered humbucker with the pickup removed can have a harsh top end.

Well... Epi's stock junkers are noticeably better without covers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Ok cool thanks guys!
I think I wont bother with the covers the looks arent so important and i dont want to lose much of the sound.
Thanks for advice!!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
Not true.

Nickel covers don't impact your tone noticeably.

I put covers on my humbuckers and didn't even notice a difference.

Don't be afraid to use the covers.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jan 18, 2009,
Quote by Mitchell?
Not true.

Cover's these days are made so they don't impact your tone noticeably.

I put covers on my humbuckers and didn't even notice a difference.

Don't be afraid to use the covers.

No... Brass covers do affect tone pretty significantly; there's quite a bit less high end fidelity. Most that come stock on guitars or on cheapish pickups are brass. Nickel Silver is better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
just to add a +1 here.

when specifically dealing with lower end, covered, stock pups.

taking the cover off can make the tone of the pickup noticeably better.

the problem is finding a lower end, covered pickup.
most starter guitars don't bother with the cost of covering their pups.

schecter, epi, maybe dean have some.

when dealing with an after market pickups Made Today, cover on or off makes little difference tonally.

and in a lot of cases, you can buy/order an after market pup with a cover, so have at it, if you like the look.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 18, 2009,