I'm building a les paul style guitar and I sanded too much on the neck cavity on the body and now the neck doesn't sit in it right, it's kind of like ? a curve and I don't know how to fix it... PLEASE HELP ME AND TELL ME HOW TO FIX IT PLEASE!!!!!
Yes... everything's done except insalling the hardware... the body is almost done, and so is the neck, all the holes are done and everything.
um.... woodfiller where needed?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oldkoolairbrush
Just carefully sand it square (flat and level) and put a shim behind it.

You can't "sand stuff Square" - sandpaper allways has a tendency to make things round - even when It's on a block.

what I'd do, mibbie, (I don't have any experience with woodworking guitars though) is chisel it flat again, taking out the minium of waste wood, sit the neck in and see if it doesn't sit so low so you can't play it.

If it's still unplayable, then, shims? You could make one out of actual wood and glue it in, or leave out the glue for tone issues - I couldn't tell you which is better.

It'd use thin plywood or something, unless you've got wood that thin or a way to cut it that thin accurately?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by LP Addict
okay, lets think logically.

the holes are already drilled...

so the neck will sit where the screw holes are, not where the neck pocket edges are...

understand?

But won't it have one of those despised "loose vagina neck pockets" that I've read so much about?

Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
But won't it have one of those despised "loose vagina neck pockets" that I've read so much about?

Yep... which is why wood filler is a godsend here.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
personally I think my idea is best

not that I'm biased or anything

you have to make sure the chisel is razor sharp - having a sharp chisel is half the battle. aslo, practice on some scrap wood 1st.
like, just stick a block of wood on the end of the neck? I think I've seen that on some comercial guitars - encore tele's I think?
no if the neck is too big for the neck pocket, i wont chissel out the pocket, ill put a flat block with sandpaper to the sides of the neck and go all the way from the nut to the last fret to keep the taper even, and take off only an even amount on both sides. i wouldnt do that to a neck with finish on it of course.
ah right - so the problem's in the side of the cavity, not the bottom?

makes sense I suppose, that's where I'd probably make the same mistake (too much sanding)
no its on the bottom of the neck cavity. not the sides... The bottom... the top of the neck, when installed, and the top of the guitar make kind of a curve. And I know that the strings would be touching the neck before the pickups....
Quote by jimRH7
any chance of photea's? or a crappy paint diagram?

its impossible to help you without what this man just said
Quote by will123456789

and mate: ure the first 08er to make me laugh kudos

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Turn it off and on again.

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
I've had a hooker die once. I love getting free stuff.
I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot... But I don't know what those are...
Quote by LP Addict
not anymore than a loose vagina neck pocket.

its like throwing a guitar neck down a hallway.

Siged
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
rofl @ sig. Love it. Wood filler kills tone? did NOT know that. I'll keep that in mind....
Quote by ESP_Shreder
rofl @ sig. Love it. Wood filler kills tone? did NOT know that. I'll keep that in mind....

Yeah its actually my first good sig from Ug.
And I have no idea if wood filler kills tone. But would probly know if I was reading everyline in this thread. Then again I got this sweet sig which probly has the answer in it. Thanks LP.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jan 23, 2009,
Wood filler kills tone, like 100% reduction. You will strike a chord and your amp with spit forth the sound of a garbage truck emptying its full load of garbage.

It sounds like he has too much neck angle. Pictures would help.
Quote by Spyke9397
I know I'm going to sound like a complete idiot... But I don't know what those are...

haha - photographs, or a rough diagram drawn in the programme "MS paint" (or something similar).

You could draw a sketch and scan it in.
Quote by Spyke9397
Well here is a crappy diagram of the situation with my guitar... Granted it has taken quite awhile to get around to it but here you are....
http://pic.photobucket.com/spacer.gif

You made a 1x1 GIF... How is anybody supposed to see that?
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by Spyke9397
Well here is a crappy diagram of the situation with my guitar... Granted it has taken quite awhile to get around to it but here you are....
http://pic.photobucket.com/spacer.gif

my god. this is a zombie thread haha. It took 6 months for you to make a 1x1 pixel diagram nice. It can only have 1 color..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
You have 4 options:

A) shim the neck
B) chisel out the pocket flat
C) get someone who knows what they are doing to do one of the above
D) give up.
you could try to make it flat again but the pocket would be deeper. then you could put a shim or just a thin slice of wood in there to make the pocket the original depth and then redrill holes and reattach the neck.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
If you can fit the neck solidly in the angled position, you could always try raising the bridge, or is there too much of a neck angle
i thort alot of guitars have thst higher angle, my warlock does, and it plays fine, infact it should add sustain... i think..
tho thats only if the bridge will work with the angle.. if not... epic BUZZZZZ lol.

hopefully you will work somthing out lol p
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
if you have a non-recessed TOM bridge, it needs to be angled slightly if its a flat top guitar.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson