Next year I'm going to get an independent study where I can spend an hour a day building a guitar, using all the school's tools and woods without fee and get a credit for it. I am willing to spend maybe 500, but maybe more as the need changes. I want to build something really good, something that will make me proud, and something that I will use. A strat type guitar is one option, the other would be a gibson double cut style guitar (or schecter S series style) The other thing is that I have no idea how to build a guitar, and only have a shop teacher who is good with wood working and tool manipulation as a guide. So I'm wondering how I should approach this... buy the body? buy the neck? make both? cheap, or priccey pickups? And is 1 hour a day for about 180 days enough?
I'd personally buy the neck and build the body. Neck's are tough to get right the first time.
If you have no experience and are jumping in the deep end, you'd be better of doing a partscaster or similar. Keep it cheap, because you don't want to screw up. I think you should get a Warmoth body blank and paddle neck and saw, chisel and hack or whatever as appropriate to make sure it's worthy of an independent study. And 180 day is plenty of time, I believe.

And it probably won't be your last build.
if you do your research (read some threads around here, theres a lot of really good information from very knowledgable people on this site, as well as maybe picking up a book on guitar building, get the one by melvyn hiscock if any) and figure out what you are going to do and how you are going to do it before you start, you should have plenty of time to build body and neck from scratch. if you're gonna make a guitar, why not actually make a guitar instead of buying a guitar with some assembly required?

the thing to remember about pickups is they are always upgradeable, so buy what you can afford to buy, whether that be cheap GFS pickups or whatever, and if you want to drop some more money into it later than do so.

*edit*
and not to be rude rock pig, but buying a warmoth blank is not my idea of keeping it cheap, if you need wood go to a local lumber yard or talk to someone here, LP Addict sells really good wood for very reasonable prices, and i know theres a few others who would do the same
Last edited by rednwhiteblues at Jan 17, 2009,
LP is prettty cheap for wood. Read the Melvyn Hiscock book, it's pretty good. It's not a step-by-step guide, but it runs through every step of the building process
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
If you're gonna cut out a body, I suggest you get a template. You can probably find on Ebay, or some other site.

Quote by Joe-white
I'd personally buy the neck and build the body. Neck's are tough to get right the first time.

If hes getting the wood for free, does it really matter? Fretting and dressing might be a problem, but if he ****s up he can just put on a new fretboard.
theres loads of info and tuturials all over google, plus all the knowledge from UG

Buy your wood from LP Addict. You can also get cheap discounts on good quality parts through LP Addict and nuttinbuttrubl8.

I saw make the neck and body. And i'll tell you this won't be your last guitar, guitar building is VERY addictive...
Get a wood blank from LP addict and buy a already mad eneck from LP Addict or warmoth. Then make the body to fit the neck. Parts either 2nd hand from ebay or from nuttinbuttrubl8.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
nuttinbuttrubl8 or CourduroyEW would be the ones to talk to about making your own pickups, they both make pickups so they could also custom make you a set.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
wow, this place is a treasure trove of information.
Well I decided i'm going to make a strat copy, and I think I'll get one of those make-it yourself pickups while I'm waiting for paint to dry (Its supposed to take 2-3 months for laquer to dry according to a very unreliable source of some random guy on youtube, can anyone give me a more reliable stat?)
BY THE WAY, do I have to get a body blank, or could I use would at the school (if it is like swamp ash, or something of the like)
Quote by nevin021s
wow, this place is a treasure trove of information.
Well I decided i'm going to make a strat copy, and I think I'll get one of those make-it yourself pickups while I'm waiting for paint to dry (Its supposed to take 2-3 months for laquer to dry according to a very unreliable source of some random guy on youtube, can anyone give me a more reliable stat?)

I'd prefer an oil finish, almost instant and the feel is far more woody, but that's just me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by nevin021s
BY THE WAY, do I have to get a body blank, or could I use would at the school (if it is like swamp ash, or something of the like)

If your school has swamp ash, I would be extremely impressed...
Quote by Jorsa
If your school has swamp ash, I would be extremely impressed...

I would to. So far I know they have balsa wood so I'm in good shape.....(lol)
If you want your first guitar to look good use an oil finish.. It's hard to screw up an oil finish.. Also, with 180 hours you could easily build a body and neck. The only hard thing about neck building is fretting.. and that's not even hard if you know how to do it. Building an electric guitar is not very hard for the most part.