I started playing on an electric, using a pick, and shaped myself into a lead player pretty quickly. I'm catching up on rhythm playing, but would really like to get better at finger-picking.

My main weakness is playing bass and rhythm at the same time. How does one get used to doing that? Any good songs to start?
you practice.

Play the modified verion of that AC/DC song...

damn I don't know the name.

its the video where they are all crusing in a jeep and then get out and start playing
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Jan 17, 2009,
Start out just using your thumb on the low E, and use other fingers to create a melody on the higher strings. Make sure to keep your thumb at a steady rhythm tho, that's the important part.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Dont follow by AIC, or Down in a hole by AIC, Stairway to heaven, Trying to think of others.

Stairway to Heaven is pick.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
^ Really? I finger pick it lol.

Check out the live version, Jimmy is always fingerpicking.
In their biography it says that he wasn't good with his fingers.
Pop song that uses beginners fingerpicking is Creed - One Last Breath, it's not a bad song to work on the technique.
James uses fingerpicking when they play The Call of Ktulu for the intro clean guitar.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i found that going in 1 direction helped me get used to using all my fingers...

beethoven-moon light sonata
led zepplin-babe im gonna leave you

moon light sonota gets hard i wouldnt learn the whole thing unless u want too but the frist 2 or 3 parts are beautiful

this one is up and down

pink floyd-is there anybody out there
I am teaching myself how to fingerpick as well. The song that is really helping me is Hotel California by the Eagles. Give it a shot.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Check out the live version, Jimmy is always fingerpicking.
In their biography it says that he wasn't good with his fingers.

Going to California and Bron-Yr-Aur. Jimmy's fingers were fine.

Stairway uses hybrid picking.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Moonlight Sonata. As a perk, it also lets you pick up attractive artsy girls easier. Cheers.
Quote by one vision
A good song to utilize that kind of pattern would be the classical folk song "Spanish Romance", it uses triplets, so it's easy.

Yes, this is one of the first fingerpicked songs i played. It sounds really nice and is relatively easy to play.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Stairway to Heaven is pick.

WTF! No it isn't. Only the end half is.

Try Black Bird!
Stairway is pretty easy too.
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS also.
A basic exercise I give to my students first up with fingerpicking is basically four chords played repeatedly.

Em-G-D-Cadd9

Starting with Em, the thumb plays the bass strings (E, A and D) while the index, middle and ring fingers play the treble strings. Using a count of four, you play low E then the 3 trebles (ima), then the A string and trebles and repeat those two bass strings. The same goes for the G chord. The D and Cadd9 chords use the A and D as bass strings.

After that Change the Em and G chords bass movement to the strings E, A, D and A. These exercises eventually get your thumb to know where the strings are and fingerpicking then becomes very easy.

Then alter your treble picking to imami. Then try iamim. After that you can try block chord picking which is 4, 5 or all 6 strings being picked at once. Trebles stay with the three fingers and your thumb brushes down the bass strings.

Songs you could use to learn from would be:
Kansas - Dust in the wind
Metallica - Nothing else matters
Extreme - More than words
Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm gonna leave you
The Doors - Spanish caravan

You could also then try Jimi Hendrix's "Hey Joe".

A nice video to watch would be Keb Mo's instructional. It is more basic than Eric Johnsons "Total Electric Guitar". I'm sure you can find relevant clips on you tube.

When you have done a bit of messing around with this I'd suggest listening to a few of these guys:
Adrian Legg
Doyle Dykes
Andy McKee
Even Mr Guitar himself, Chet Atkins (but this would be down to taste in the end, his pieces are super hard)
Simon and Garfunkel (Paul Simon is rather good, especially in claw)

Anyway, I hope this helps, good luck
I'd like to back up the notion of learning Blackbird and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, two fabulous songs.

And Bron-Yr-Aur as I mentioned earlier, beautiful.
To be brave is to take action in spite of fear. It is impossible to be brave without first being afraid. To take action without fear is not brave, it is foolish.
Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton is great for fingerpicking.

Frankly any song which has a nice (simple) melody you can use to learn fingerpicking. Puts a fun spin on songs which you used to just strum to. very chilled feel.
What I really wanted to know was more like the bass line/melody with thumb/fingers aspect. I can pick stuff like Tears in Heaven, or Don't Cry but when it's a blues-ish thing, with the thumb playing a steady bass-line, and the fingers doing stuff, I get lost
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.
I'm pretty sure he means this kind of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Xp11371UY

^That guy has a few tutorials on YouTube, so maybe you can start there. People to check out are Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, John Hurt, and John Jackson. I must admit I don't do any real fingerstyle outside of open tunings, which is cheating a little. I'd like to learn, but there's just not as much material out there. It's kind of a lost art I think.
If you're looking to get down the thumb bass line, I suggest Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd. It takes some practice, but I have absolutely loved playing that song since I got the bass rhythm down.

Speaking of which, if anyone knows of any songs similar to that with the steady thumb bass line, I'm looking for something good to learn.
Opeth have a few amazing fingerpicked passages, and alot of them are hard as hell. Learn Benighted, great for the ladies. If you learn it, make sure you use your pinky to pick all the notes on the high E string, I made that mistake and now my pinky is miles behind the rest of my fingers.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.