OK my LTD V-500 came with stock Emg 81s. I switched out the emgs for a SD super distortion and a 59. As well as put in 500k pots in, master volume and spin a split for the Super distortion. Now when the emgs where in i didnt have any hum, but with the SDs i hum like crazy and when i turn the pots there is a scratchy noise. This is where i realized i dont have a ground connected to my bridge, this is a string thru, how the hell do i ground it better? I have grounded the inside, each wire grounded to the back of the pot, as well as the then from the back of the pot to the ground on the jack. Any suggestions?
you have to also change your output jack to a non-stereo one i believe.

double check all ground solder joints, if your iron sucks, cold-joints are pretty common. especially the ones on top of the pots.
Well, it could just be a defective pot. Replace them both to be sure.

There should be a wire goint into a hole leading to the post bushing of the bridge. If not, make one.

edit: you don't have to change out the jack. Just don't use the Ring lug.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Chaosinborn
OK my LTD V-500 came with stock Emg 81s. I switched out the emgs for a SD super distortion and a 59. As well as put in 500k pots in, master volume and spin a split for the Super distortion. Now when the emgs where in i didnt have any hum, but with the SDs i hum like crazy and when i turn the pots there is a scratchy noise. This is where i realized i dont have a ground connected to my bridge, this is a string thru, how the hell do i ground it better? I have grounded the inside, each wire grounded to the back of the pot, as well as the then from the back of the pot to the ground on the jack. Any suggestions?

EMG says not to ground the bridge on guitars with EMG pickups so that's why your guitar didn't have a ground wire. To use passive pickups in that guitar you'll need to install a wire going to the bridge from the pot.

Now for the scratchy pots it's possible you've got a defective one or possibly both (not common but could happen) so like Jim said replace both just to be sure.

As far as the Stereo jack goes you don't have to replace it but I would anyway. That way the stereo jack required for the EMG'S stays with them incase you use them in another guitar or decide to sell them. A mono jack is cheap anyway.