Do you want his cleans or his acoustic sound? Because it has to be said, that setup's not exactly aimed at either....(particularly the latter)
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
He uses Laneys.. 6505's cleans aren't HORRIBLE but they just won't get as good Opeths cleans.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
With a metal oriented guitar like your Schecter, active pickups and a 6505 you won't get nowhere near Mike's clean sound, and let alone his acoustic tone, no matter how hard you try.

For his clean tone you'll need a EL-34 equipped amp with a really good and warm clean sound, a PRS (they're an integral part of his sound) and most important his fingers.

And for his acoustic tone, you'll only get it with a REALLY good acoustic, like one of his Martin.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
He uses at least one Seagull acoustic. They make Incredible guitars for a very reasonable price. If your looking for an acoustic check them out.
Sig What?
Quote by Mahoru
With a metal oriented guitar like your Schecter, active pickups and a 6505 you won't get nowhere near Mike's clean sound, and let alone his acoustic tone, no matter how hard you try.

For his clean tone you'll need a EL-34 equipped amp with a really good and warm clean sound, a PRS (they're an integral part of his sound) and most important his fingers.

And for his acoustic tone, you'll only get it with a REALLY good acoustic, like one of his Martin.

+1 to all of this post and just to add I think Mikael's acoustic is 000 Martin D-18, although even if you had all of this you still wouldn't have Steven Wilson to work his studio magic on it. IMO you're better off just making the best of what you have.
MMMM...Opeth talk. *fapfapfap*

Like someone said....PRS, his fingers and a warm sounding amp.
If you have the cash, you could probably A/B another amp with your 6505.
It would sound pretty decent if you put an EQ in the second amp's FX loop customized for cleans.
Then maybe an acoustic sim would sound decent.
If you want to use your 6505 for the cleans, make sure you have a good bit of the treble cut out and a good deal of bass. The acoustics tone is like 99% mids, not too bright not too dark.

Just focus on a good clean tone, for playing live he typically uses an electric the majority of the time, only using an acoustic for songs that are acoustic all the way through.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Actually, he has been known to use Twin Reverbs for cleans. Not sure if it was now or earlier. But live they use laney GH100s.

Also, using EMGs don't make an Opeth clean.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by silly hats
Actually, he has been known to use Twin Reverbs for cleans. Not sure if it was now or earlier. But live they use laney GH100s.

Also, using EMGs don't make an Opeth clean.

The 89s, 85s, and 60s have a thicker tone with rather low amount of highs. They do a convincing opeth tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I can't get close to an Opeth tone with the 89 in the neck of my Hellraiser. Oddly, the 81TW sounds loads better, and tapping it makes "Damnation"-esque clean sounds pretty convincing.

It's also worth noting Mikael doesn't use "cleans" live. He just rolls off his volume knob on his PRS and (a large portion of the time) finger picks to get clean sounds. On record, I'm assuming he uses a good clean amp, like a Twin Reverb, Jazz Chorus or an AC30. He apparently uses Seymour Duncan pickups in his PRS, so maybe hunt down what model pickups he uses. The 6505 isn't gunna get that convincing of an Opeth tone, but it'll suffice.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Random3
I have a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and i will soon have a 6505 head hopefully. what kind of pedal would you guys recommend to get cleans like his? is a pedal necessary with that setup?

You cant get there from here. He has a piezo pickup in his PRS into a Laney GH100 also i think a twin reverb
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jan 17, 2009,
You're better off cranking the rhythm channel for the distorted tones but your not going to get a good clean.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
As for his pickups, I am pretty sure that they are Seymour Duncan Full Shreds....but you're going to need either a separate amp for cleans or to rethink the 6505 purchase...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals