Im looking for some new pickups for my ibanez, seeing as my birthday was on Wednesday and I've got a bit of money to blow. My gear is in my sig if you need to take a look .

I'm into a lot of metal and hard rock, though my guitar teacher has got me really into the blues.

So i'm looking for either a single coil for blues or a humbucker for metal at the moment (whatever one I buy now, i'll probably buy the other one later on in the year).

Does UG have any suggestions?
Or if you think of any better ways to spend money, just say!!! (please no new guitar or amp, I'm very happy with my guitar and amp/effects setup )

my buget is a max of £75 and my guitar pickups are as follows:
H: Inf3 (neck)
S: Inf3 (middle)
H: Inf4 (bridge)

Thanks in advance
^^ Shut up

Look into Swineshead Pickups, you would only be able to get one, i think their about £57 to £65 depending on wood or plastic covers, but they sounds good for what you want.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
^^ Shut up

Look into Swineshead Pickups, you would only be able to get one, i think their about £57 to £65 depending on wood or plastic covers, but they sounds good for what you want.

thanks!
do you have any personal preferances (that is if you use them ) on which one?
I'm liking the warthog or the venom for humbuckers, or the dragonfly for the middle singlecoil.
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Jan 17, 2009,
Yep, swineshead is definitely on my possible list.

Is guitar fetish any good for pickups? They are very inexpensive but I don't know if that means sacrificing quality.
Quote by TheSecondRaid
Yep, swineshead is definitely on my possible list.

Is guitar fetish any good for pickups? They are very inexpensive but I don't know if that means sacrificing quality.

They are excellent.

They are much better than most pickups costing upwards of $125.00 each

He either buys in bulk from manufacturers and sells direct to you, or he himself is selling straight to you.
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
They are excellent.

They are much better than most pickups costing upwards of $125.00 each

He either buys in bulk from manufacturers and sells direct to you, or he himself is selling straight to you.

do you know where I kind find any audio samples of their sound?

Edit: I was also looking at these:
http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Super_Distortion_Humbucker_Enclosed_Black_HSDE-1

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Electronics/Kent_Armstrong_Pickups/Humbucker_Pickups?limit=50
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by TheSecondRaid
do you know where I kind find any audio samples of their sound?

Youtube is chockfull. They are very well known pickups among tone-snobs.

I just put a set of these in my guitar
http://store.guitarfetish.com/pralstpiourb.html

The sound samples can show you the high quality of those pickups... All of their pickups are on par with them, aside from the minibuckers.
swinesheads are very nice indeed. the price seems to keep increasing, unfortunately (i got mine a few years ago and they were £40 for the humbuckers and £30 for the singles!), but they're still pretty good value. i prefer them to duncans or dimarzios, which are quite a bit more expensive here in the UK. best bet if you decide to go for them is to email them for advice, jon bell (the owner) steered me right with his advice, anyway.

rockmonkey would be another option, they're handwound by a member of UG (corduroy_EW, something like that, anyway), and they have a 10% discount for UG members. they may even be a little cheaper than swinesheads, especially with that UG discount. I haven't tried them, but i hear very good things. I doubt you'd go too far wrong with either of those, to be honest. again, email for advice.

EDIT: i have kent armstrongs in my eggle new york. I don't really like them at all, if you ask me, swinesheads and (probably- i only say probably as i haven't tried them) rockmonkeys would be far superior. I haven't tried GFSs, but from what i hear i imagine they wouldn't be much better than the armstrongs. Both are more or less the budget choice. which is fair enough if you can get them at american prices, but considering in the UK you can get either swinesheads or rockmonkeys (which are good quality, handwound pickups) for only very slightly more...

it'd appear to be a pretty obvious choice. to me, anyway.

if you really want to cheap out, you could maybe try either irongear (they also have a UG discount) or tonerider pickups, they should be quite a bit cheaper than either armstrongs or GFS. I haven't tried them, though, i've heard decent things, but they might just be "good for the money", rather than "good". Could be wrong, of course.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 18, 2009,