Yes I know, hard work and practice, but would this work in anyway?

By working out, you build fast and slow twitch fibers, fast fibers allow the muscle to contract faster, and slow are for strength and endurance.

If I give my fingers a workout, such as shredding for a few minutes or till my fingers burn, But not enough to injure them, would that help me increase my speed?
Just practice, there is no other way to do it.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
get a chromatic exercise and use a metronome....do the exercise like 5 times at one speed, then increase it.... it helps endurance and speed

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Yes I know, hard work and practice, but would this work in anyway?

By working out, you build fast and slow twitch fibers, fast fibers allow the muscle to contract faster, and slow are for strength and endurance.

If I give my fingers a workout, such as shredding for a few minutes or till my fingers burn, But not enough to injure them, would that help me increase my speed?

^ no that won't work.

It's your mind that needs to be trained. Your muscles will do as their "told" with enough practice.

Focus on music. Practice with music as your focus and you will get better at everything thats involved. This includes playing fast, playing slow..... everything.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jan 17, 2009,
Nah, at best it will build endurance, at worst your technique will go backwards since you'll be practicing with bad technique (during the burning part).

I find it helpful to think about playing fast like this. Lets say you want to play two notes twice as fast as you can currently play them. You have two options - 1) move your fingers twice as fast. 2) move your fingers half as much. Or put differently, if you want to half your time in the 100 yd dash, what is easier - run twice as fast, or give yourself a 50 yd headstart?! The great thing about guitar playing is that the latter is not considered cheating!

So, conclusion, forget about playing fast, and put all your energy into playing efficiently, and you'll be able to play plenty fast.
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ no that won't work.

It's your mind that needs to be trained. Your muscles will do as their "told" with enough practice.

Focus on music. Practice with music as your focus and you will get better at everything thats involved. This includes playing fast, playing slow..... everything.

+1

It's not a "strength" problem - your fingers are already perfectly physcially capable of doing anything on the guitar. Your problem is you're unable to control them well enough and that's what you should focus on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you can't "work on speed" because speed is not a skill, it's simply a reflection of your skills. Only when you realise that and focus on the actual skills and abilities that ultimately govern your ability to play fast will you starrt to improve...just don't expect miracles, getting "fast" takes months and years, not days or weeks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Life Is Brutal
increase my speed?

To develop a good amount of strength and control, particularly in the LH, legato phrases and exercises are best, in a musical manner tho.

The more relaxed you are, the easier it'll be to play fast....and breathe, I'm not being funny, loads of players have a tendency to take a huge gulp of air before playing a fast line.

Strangely enough, focus on the thumb, if your thumb is relaxed then your hand can't really tense up.

Ideally, you should be able play a legato phrase like this:

top e -8-5-7-8-7-5-

without the thumb on the neck.

Every fast lick starts it's life as a slow lick.

As for alt picking shred, that's just down to EoM and hand sync.
Lets say you want to play two notes twice as fast as you can currently play them. You have two options - 1) move your fingers twice as fast. 2) move your fingers half as much. Or put differently, if you want to half your time in the 100 yd dash, what is easier - run twice as fast, or give yourself a 50 yd headstart?! The great thing about guitar playing is that the latter is not considered cheating!

Bingo. See links in sig.