You may have read some of my other posts, I am outfitting a $99 Squier Bullet Strat, with a single humbucker pearloid pickguard, and a seymour duncan invader..with single volume control....aka.a Tom DeLonge Signature knockoff....Only because I wanted it in pink and they dont make it. Anyway....I had it together(mind you i did a half ass job with the soldering, and I didnt solder the Red and White wires..i just twisted them) The tone, just never sounded right..it sounded like it was too low and no matter what I tried i could not get it to sound how i wanted it..and i have a les paul with the same pickup(Seymour duncan invader) and it dosent have this problem..so being the logical thinker i am i thoguht whats the difference between the two guitars...the main thing i saw, is the lespaul has a tone pot..and the strat dosent.....im thinking..i could put a tone pot in and have it hidden underneath the pickguard so it isnt seen? Only thing is i only have a 250k tone pot not a 500k tone pot...but the volume pot is a 500k...would that matter..i want to have it put together for tommorrow..so i cant wait to order a 500k tone pot..?
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
Hang on, hang on... the tone is 'too low', and yet it doesn't have a tone pot at all?

A tone pot will only take off more of the high-end. It can't add anything in and if you've wired the guitar correctly then having no tone pot should leave you with the brightest sound possible. If it actually sounds 'too low' without a tone pot then something has gone seriously wrong.

As far as 250k vs 500k goes, 250k rolls off more high-end than 500k. However which capacitor you use with the tone pot has more of an impact.

Generally for a high-output humbucker like the Invader you should have a 500k volume pot, a 500k tone pot, and usually a .022uf capacitor though a .047uf is sometimes used instead.

EDIT: make sure you've not done something blindly silly like putting on really heavy-btottomed strings and raised the low end of the pickup right next to the strings. Doing something like that will always generate far too much bass and muddy up your tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jan 17, 2009,
You don't understand why a 99 dollar fender bullet doesn't sound like a les paul?

Just wow.

The wood is different, the thickness is different, the pickup placement is different, the neck is different, the bridge and truss rod are different, the construction is different.....

Need I go on?

No, a new tone pot will not make your squier sound like a les paul. Sorry.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You don't understand why a 99 dollar fender bullet doesn't sound like a les paul?

Just wow.

The wood is different, the thickness is different, the pickup placement is different, the neck is different, the bridge and truss rod are different, the construction is different.....

Need I go on?

No, a new tone pot will not make your squier sound like a les paul. Sorry.

If the same pickup is "too low" on a basswood guitar, there is a problem. If anything, the pickup should be higher on the strat. Les Pauls are Mahogany, it should be bassier on that guitar.
Quote by JELIFISH19
If the same pickup is "too low" on a basswood guitar, there is a problem. If anything, the pickup should be higher on the strat. Les Pauls are Mahogany, it should be bassier on that guitar.

Refer to the part where I said "The woods are different."

What's wrong is that he's trying to make a strat sound like a les paul. Incorrect wiring being done right still wo'nt make that happen. Might help the bass issues he's having, but it certainly isn't going to do what he's wanting.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

What's wrong is that he's trying to make a strat sound like a les paul. Incorrect wiring being done right still wo'nt make that happen. Might help the bass issues he's having, but it certainly isn't going to do what he's wanting.

I know the woods are different. But mahogany is a bassier wood than basswood. Everything about the strat's construction says that it should be brighter and have more treble than the Les Paul. So if the strat is "too low," there is probably something wrong with the wiring. I recommend soldering to two wires together
Quote by strat0blaster

Excuse me, but dont make assumptions. IM trying to make this sound like a TOM DELONGE SIGNATURE...like i said, in my original post..i was just comparing it....if your going to bitch please dont post...offering your opinion about the different woods is fine...but do not bitch...
Gibson ES-339
Quote by laneylespaul
Excuse me, but dont make assumptions. IM trying to make this sound like a TOM DELONGE SIGNATURE...like i said, in my original post..i was just comparing it....if your going to bitch please dont post...offering your opinion about the different woods is fine...but do not bitch...

I wasn't 'bitching' I was stating a fact - you're comparing two VERY unlike guitars, so your basis of comparison shouldn't be how it sounds compared to your paul, but how it sounds compared to TOM DELONGE.

And if you want a TOM DELONGE SIGNATURE, go get a TOM DELONG SIGNATURE.

Also keep in mind that TOM DELONGE on an album is always going to sound different from YOU IN YOUR BEDROOM becuase he's IN A STUDIO.

Doesn't typing with caps make it more dynamic?

And for the record, he and I were having a discussion to try and better help you solve your problem. So why are YOU bitching?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Jan 17, 2009,
But obviously you didnt read my whole post...i would "go out and get a tom delonge signature", i have no problem with that..I WANT IT IN PINK.......and i never compare to album sound, so quit acting like you know everything because i was comparing my sound to the live versions, AND the les paul wit that pickup sounds like it..so obvioulsy the wood dosent mean that much....
Gibson ES-339
Children....

Tsk tsk.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
*Sight* Expect UG to ruin a thread haha

Anyways back on subject. I'll agree with the other guys in this, a Strat shouldn't have a bassier sound than a LP with the same pickup. How do you have this wired/twisted up? Try to draw a picture. This could be an issue with grounding too, it depends on how you define "tone was too low"

Also the Tom signature is a beasty guitar for what it is. A local guy has a green one that he can just downright shred on. For all the tone freaks... his strings are the same ones that came on it brand new.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Don't invaders need like a 1000k pot or something weird like that? I heard that they needed more juice or something?
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
has anyone else heard the same as jwd32792 right now im only using a 500k pot...and as far as how i wired it, its wired in correspondecne to the wiring diagram @ SD, which says that it calls for a 500k..but thats generic..the invader may need a 1000k

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol
Gibson ES-339
It doesn't NEED it. But that might help. Different electronics have different properties. You can use any pickup with a 250K or a 1000K pot. It's all about preference. Maybe you're Les Paul doesn't have 500K pots. That might be the cause of the differences. I hear that Gibsons usually use 300K.
TS: your problem is coming from the wrong pot capacitance being used. Anyone that doesn't understand pot values and the effect they have on your guitars' sound shouldn't have posted in this thread, wasting their time and others.

my epi SG has 4 500k pots. I fitted invaders to it without problems and it sounds good to me. 250k pots are definitely not enough (especially for a high output passive like the invader). 500k or 1000k for your tone pot should fix it. Pots can be fairly cheap when bought at the right places, and considering your strats body woods, i'd suggest 500k, for the most balanced sound, and only 1000k if you still can't get the brightness you're after.
Last edited by yenners at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster
Children....

Tsk tsk.

Wow, way to be a hypocrite. He is asking for help as to why one guitar sounds how it should yet his strat sounds opposite to what it should. HE HAS NOT asked why the guitars don't sound exatly the same. He is asking why his strat is sounding the opposite of what it should.

Next time, learn to ****ing read and actually be helpfull. Im sick and tired of ass hats like you running around these forums acting like every one else here is an idiot when you won't even take the time to pay attention to the actual question at hand.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by yenners
TS: your problem is coming from the wrong pot capacitance being used. Anyone that doesn't understand pot values and the effect they have on your guitars' sound shouldn't have posted in this thread, wasting their time and others.

my epi SG has 4 500k pots. I fitted invaders to it without problems and it sounds good to me. 250k pots are definitely not enough (especially for a high output passive like the invader). 500k or 1000k for your tone pot should fix it. Pots can be fairly cheap when bought at the right places, and considering your strats body woods, i'd suggest 500k, for the most balanced sound, and only 1000k if you still can't get the brightness you're after.

He already has a 500K volume pot
Yes,I do have a 500k pot already...Now, out of curioisty i did say that this guitar started its life as a 99 dollar peice of crap squier, and this is pretty much my first project guitar....could the fact that it had 3 single coils, and now it has only one humbucker....and theres open sapce? should i put wood the gaps?..because when i the guitar is played un-amplified it almost sounds like its echoing...could this empty space be causing all my problems?
Gibson ES-339
If you look inside most Fender/Squier Strats the pickup routing is univerasl. Anotherwords there is a giant void under the pickguard, this allows you to swap pickguards to go from S-S-S to H-S-S or H-H. That void shouldn't affect the output level/tone of your pickup, at least nothing you could notice
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Well TS did say it was a half ass job of soldering and 2 of the wires are just twisted together. That would be the logical place to start. Bad connections will give bad output.
I unsoldered everything, and did a top-notch wiring job, soldered hte Red and white..and it got a little better.....i also lowered the pickup.. Could it be that the guitar, isnt broken in or something..I mean, i bought the guitar xmas of 08...and it wasnt played much until i got all the parts around mid january....so its got maybe an hour or 2 of playing time on it?...could this be it..ik remeber seeing on a nother thread that a guitar will sound like **** the first like month you have it..?
Gibson ES-339
Trimpots...

And guitars don't break in... At least, not ones with a poly finish.

Strats sound chimey, Les Pauls sound gritty. Strats have pickups floating on plastic... Les Pauls don't.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 24, 2009,