Page 1 of 2
well my teacher told me that guitar is basically 99% practise and 1% talent...i humbly disagree because i practise around the same amount of hours a day as my brother...and im by far better and no i dont secretly practise lol

anyways...question is ... do I have to be a prodigy to be as great as some of my fave guitarist (hendrix, srv, EJ, slash) ...i mean maybe if i practise 8 hours a day My chops may be as good...but wat about composition ??
It's actually about 98% practice, 1% talent, and 1% spelling.

So you're screwed.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
People like Jimi prove that you can make people cry and be remembered with a few great sounding fuzzy sustains.

People like Herman Ri, or, and even as a slight Yngwie-hater, I don't like comparing him to Ri, Malmsteen, prove you can to it on practice alone.

Both work.

Guess which sounds better.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
playing covers is all about practice

writing music is a totally different thing... your teacher was right.. playing guitar is all about practice.. there's no thinking.. writing your own stuff isn't guitar
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Personally i'd say it's;

80% Inspiration, 5% talent, 15% practise.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
no you can have natural talent, for a year i would play my guitar 30 mins a week for a lesson and at each lesson my instructor was amazed at how much better i got with barely any practice. now i do around 3 hours a week though.

EDIT: (I didn't get that much better from week to week but it was enough for him to notice it)
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Jan 17, 2009,
People like Herman Ri, or, and even as a slight Yngwie-hater, I don't like comparing him to Ri, Malmsteen, prove you can to it on practice alone.QUOTE]
lolz at racism.
Member of the Geddy Lee Fanclub. He pwns you ALL!

Member #24 of the FFVII fan club

STICK IT TO THE MAN
Quote by I am wet
no you can have natural talent, for a year i would play my guitar 30 mins a week for a lesson and at each lesson my instructor was amazed at how much better i got with barely any practice. now i do around 3 hours a week though.

EDIT: (I didn't get that much better from week to week but it was enough for him to notice it)

And how good are you getting now?
i honestly think you have (not totally) be a prodigy. Like pick it up like that. thats what happened to me i played it so well i was even suprised (dont mean to brag). but it's completely true about composition; you need your own style & technique. look at Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, and Jimmy Page all amazing rock guitarist's but their technique and style are completely different.
Main Rig:

1. Customized "Silver Bullet" Gibson SG
2. Marshall MG Halfstack
3. SXB Pedalboard
4. MXR EQ Pedal
5. Boss V-Wah Pedal

Music Is You.
Music Is Me.
Music Is All Around Us.
Music Allows Us To Be Free.
Quote by Dio10101
And how good are you getting now?

a bit better than i was then...
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I tend to think natural talent just makes it easier to improve and learn. It'll cap where your absolute peak is too but I think even the supremely untalented can learn to play competently (like me!) just that in the end it's going to take a lot more work than someone who just "gets it" right off the bat.
Some of you people need to stop giving specific percentages...they are wrong, you are wrong and your families do not approve
You can become a perfectly good guitarist through practice alone, but you'll be better if you have a natural talent for it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
To be as good as [insert your hero here], you probably need a bit of talent. To play the guitar to a level that both impresses the hell out of laymen listening to you, and gives you a considerable amount of pleasure, you don't need a single bit of talent, just a good work ethic. That, in fact, goes for every instrument.
Quote by 80'smetaladdict
i honestly think you have (not totally) be a prodigy. Like pick it up like that. thats what happened to me i played it so well i was even suprised (dont mean to brag). but it's completely true about composition; you need your own style & technique. look at Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, and Jimmy Page all amazing rock guitarist's but their technique and style are completely different.

Same here.
Quote by luyezi27
well my teacher told me that guitar is basically 99% practise and 1% talent...i humbly disagree because i practise around the same amount of hours a day as my brother...and im by far better and no i dont secretly practise lol

anyways...question is ... do I have to be a prodigy to be as great as some of my fave guitarist (hendrix, srv, EJ, slash) ...i mean maybe if i practise 8 hours a day My chops may be as good...but wat about composition ??

Guitar is NOT 1% talent. I have never EVR had a lesson in my life, and I play better than alot of people. If you don't have a decent base level of talent, picking up the guitar will be a mostly futile effort.

It is like painting - you can be taught how to paint, yes - but the people who see the shapes and colors for what they are w/o the schooling are the ones who are most likely to succeed.
as a newbie and one who have a hard time to start playing guitar i believe creativity, good ear and really liking the instrument are important too besides practise and talent [which i hope isnt that important at all, for while starting i chopped my fingers in practising and get no improvements, im better now though)
Quote by I am wet

Lol.

30 mins a week? That is 4 minutes a day...

3 hours a week? Thats not even 30 minutes a day.

You call yourself a guitar player?

Yes, there is such a thing as natural talent. There is also a thing called practice. With both, I was able to play songs like Cliffs of Dover at about 6 months of guitar playing.

Just practice, practice, practice and be determined and you'll get there.
Quote by Kevy Absolution

So you're screwed.

seriously ..whats with ppl and their spelling
give me a break ffs, im not writting an english essay here
its the internet let it go
Quote by luyezi27
seriously ..whats with ppl and their spelling
give me a break ffs, im not writting an english essay here
its the internet let it go

We grammar nazi's don't like you.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by timi_hendrix
You can become a perfectly good guitarist through practice alone, but you'll be better if you have a natural talent for it.

+1

i honestly don't see how it's any different for any instrument. like most things, it's around 50% talent, 50% hard work. obviously the more you're willing to practice, the less talent you can get away with having, and the more talent, the less work you can get away with doing.

Like most things (not even just music), to be honest.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by luyezi27
fail

That should be spelt with a capital letter and a full stop afterwards.

Thank you, come again.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Talent is a gift but if it's not used properly (practice & dedication) it will not realise it's full potential. How's that for an answer.
Moving on.....
Quote by Chrisiphone

Thank you, come again.

im not a grammar nazi
Quote by Kevy Absolution

So you're screwed.

this
Quote by luyezi27
im not a grammar nazi

You don't have to be.

Our profession is to advise and tell people how they have failed grammar wise.

Most people spell and use grammar correctly.

You sir, do not.

E-Married to Funny_Page
^ neither do you...

it just seems a bit daft to point it out. fair enough if it's so bad it's gobbledegook, but if it's just a minor grammar point, there's a good chance someone who knows more will be along later to point out your own mistakes... i know i never point out grammar mistakes, unless it's a mistake made by someone who pointed out someone else's mistakes...

Quote by luyezi27
fail

+1

Quote by Chrisiphone

Thank you, come again.

if you ask me, getting the apostrophe wrong is much worse. most people (myself included) leave out capitals because it's too much effort to hit the shift key...

Quote by KenG
Talent is a gift but if it's not used properly (practice & dedication) it will not realise it's full potential. How's that for an answer.

not bad
Quote by luyezi27
im not a grammar nazi

apparently not...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Chrisiphone
You don't have to be.

Our profession is to advise and tell people how they have failed grammar wise.

Most people spell and use grammar correctly.

You sir, do not.

i feel sry u do that for a living
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ neither do you...

it just seems a bit daft to point it out. fair enough if it's so bad it's gobbledegook, but if it's just a minor grammar point, there's a good chance someone who knows more will be along later to point out your own mistakes... i know i never point out grammar mistakes, unless it's a mistake made by someone who pointed out someone else's mistakes...

+1

if you ask me, getting the apostrophe wrong is much worse. most people (myself included) leave out capitals because it's too much effort to hit the shift key...

not bad

apparently not...

I just did that to just be a tool! Sorry!
To prove how "Grammar Nazism" does get out of hand from time to time.

Sure some peoples use of spelling can be hard to read and doesn't really make much sense but then again most people can deal with it fine.

To any misunderstanding!

E-Married to Funny_Page
Talent is nice, but it isn't required. It just makes everything easier.

Talent is what I have.

Practice is what improves your overall ability to play, and gives you access to specific techniques. It is what people notice.

Practice is what I don't do nearly enough.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Somebody can define talent? or GREAT playing guitar?

As far as i know, talent is something that you just born with it, so, is all about luck. I don't believe such a thing exist like talent, is all come down to hard practice.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by Chrisiphone

I just did that to just be a tool! Sorry!

To any misunderstanding!

no i think u just failed hard and trying to cover urself up
nt tho

( :: ) <--- have a cookie for trying
Quote by luyezi27
no i think u just failed hard and trying to cover urself up
nt tho

( :: ) <--- have a cookie for trying

Mmmm cookies.

I fail hard most of the time but I promise it was a parody!

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Mmmm cookies.

I fail hard most of the time but I promise it was a parody!

kinda off topic but ur profile pic looks like something that would really enjoy a cookie lol
Quote by SoulTrip
Guitar is NOT 1% talent. I have never EVR had a lesson in my life, and I play better than alot of people. If you don't have a decent base level of talent, picking up the guitar will be a mostly futile effort.

did you pick up the guitar and instantly know how to play?

if not then I'd say you didn't have a talent for it and that the major factor was the practice you put in.

and by practice I don't mean lessons, I mean playing in all it's forms (exercises, playing songs, learning new scales etc)
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I dunno about this one... No matter what way you look at it, it takes talent to compose a decent song people can connect to but not a lot to learn the techniques and stuff, just countless of hours of practice.
Page 1 of 2