Hi all
I am a new member :-)

I have a Cort guitar which I run through a Roland GP100 preamp into a YamahaAW1600 [16 track multitrack digital thingy].

The gear review on Harmony Central for the GP100 are awesome but I find that it is difficult for me to get a 'meaty' and rich sound.

Do I need more gear or am I doing the wrong thing going straight for the preamp into the desk or whatever.

I am not very expert on this so would value any advice anyone has on how to get a good recorded sound [various styles - backing , and solos]

Thanks!
Last edited by drak12 at Jan 17, 2009,
Boost your bass and maybe mid.... (or even lower the treble)

Does it always sound 'un-meaty' or is it just when tracked with other instruments.
If so, edit the EQ of the other instruments.

If it sounds 'un-meaty' normally, remember it will sound different with other instruments around it.

And yeah, boost your bass. Perhaps even try your neck pick up...
Quote by EdawMail
Boost your bass and maybe mid.... (or even lower the treble)

Does it always sound 'un-meaty' or is it just when tracked with other instruments.
If so, edit the EQ of the other instruments.

If it sounds 'un-meaty' normally, remember it will sound different with other instruments around it.

And yeah, boost your bass. Perhaps even try your neck pick up...

Hi
Thanks for the advice!
I remember playing the guitar through an amp in the shop and it sounded powerful and amazing.
Playing it thorugh the preamp just doesn't have any of that oomph or power.

I was wondering is it an accepted method to simply record through a preamp like the GP100 directly into the multitrack or does this usually give poor quality results [maybe its just my playing or my ears LOL :-)]

Thanks
Quote by drak12

I remember playing the guitar through an amp in the shop and it sounded powerful and amazing.

This probably has something to do with it. Every time I've tried a guitar in a shop they chuck it through a nice Vox AC15 or Fender Twin... you'll definitely get a different (but not necessarily "Better") sound than running it through a pre-amp into a computer.
If you disagree with anything I say, just take it as a joke
...or go to hell

I was just checking out some gear on ebay and came across the vamp2 by Behringer. Teh reviews are again rave and users say it is great for recording directly into a multitracker - I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these as they are so [relatively] cheap

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--BEHVAMP2