I currently have a Guitar Research T64RS Head and a 1X12 cab to match. The head is 60W and currently isn't putting out as loud as i would want it too.
Would getting a bigger cab (a 2X12 or a stack?) help to fix the problem or am i going to need to just get a new rig all together for more volume?
How loud have you got it?!

60w solid state or tube maxed out is going to deafen you.

Also the number of cabs and speakers don't make a difference on volume.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
How loud have you got it?!

60w solid state or tube maxed out is going to deafen you.

Also the number of cabs and speakers don't make a difference on volume.

But you need the right amount of speakers so your amp doesn't over-power them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
... it doesn't really get that loud, even at 3/4 volume... It can't really compete with a drummer banging super loud.
So what should i do?
Quote by xwearesinking
But you need the right amount of speakers so your amp doesn't over-power them.

No you don't.

You can use as many speakers as you want as long as they match the ohmage.

You can run an amp through a 1x12 and a 4x12 if the ohmages and wattage are suitable.
Still won't lead to an increase in volume.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by ratso
So ive heard 2 diffrent sides.... what do i do?
mic it?

if your just practicing, i think your a lil paranoid.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Still won't lead to an increase in volume.

Erm, yeah it will.

An extra speaker adds about 3db if I remember correctly.
You have to match the ohm's for max output. Check that.

If the cabs ohm rating is more than the head, the output will not be as efficient as it could be - and your total volume will suffer.

For example a 4 ohm head driving a 8 ohm cab is only putting out 60% or so of what it could.
NEVER drive a cab who's ohm is rated less than the head tho, else you'll blow it.

If you have an 8 ohm head driving a 16 ohm cab... get another 16 ohm cab, run it PARALLEL and you'll be @ 8 ohm for the stack (= max efficiency).
Last edited by 667 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Mitchell?

An extra speaker adds about 3db if I remember correctly.

3 dB is a pretty negligible volume difference, though (unless you jump from a 2x12 to a 4x12, which would still only be 6 dB)

OP, perhaps you should put your cab on a stand/chair? That will help project the sound more up in the air.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Even if my 50 watt amp were a 1X12 combo (2X12), I still couldn't fathom it not keeping up with a drummer, let alone not overpowering him.

I just wanted to confirm that adding another speaker won't increase your volume dramatically. You'd probably see a slightly detectable increase of 3 dB if you used a 2X12 with the same speakers. That would probably not be worth it.

Before I continue, I am not a speaker guru, so do not take what I'm saying as the truth; you may want to confirm it with somebody who knows more than I do, like Ted Weber. Depending on what speaker you have currently and what speakers you'd get for the bigger stack, you could possibly increase it a bit more dramatically. Speakers have different sensitivity ratings (in decibels), and the higher the sensitivity of the speaker, the louder it is. So if you found a speaker that had a 3 db increase in sensitivity and used a 2X12 cab of those, you could get a 6 db increase. That's a bit more dramatic of an increase, and I think it's one that you may like. Again, I am not a speaker guru; if you think this is something you'd like to do, make sure a professional agrees with my thoughts.