how do I sound like John Frusciante in Fortunea Faded? I have an LP and a Marshall 250 wat but I can't make it sound right.
Is the Marshall an MG? Because that'd be why.

He DOES play a LP for fortune faded though,
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
how to sound like John Fruscant?

learn his ****ing name first.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
turn an amazing Funk Metal band into a generic Soft Rock one?
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Start playing guitar
Start playing guitar using drugs and booze
REHAB
Start playing guitar again
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Forget how to bend in tune.

Seriously though the tone on that song is actually dreadful so you've actually got a fairly good chance of achieving something similar. Just use a load of gain and keep the contour knob fairly low.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i dont see how the tone is dreadful...its kind of cool but theres def a lot of studio effects on it as with most of what he does that makes it sound so thick
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Recorded I believe it's the neck pickup but live it almost sounds like the middle pickup of a Strat.
strat. MARSHALL Jubilee... google it.. theres tons of ****ing pics from all eras.. jesus christ.. and spell his name right.. nub.
Quote by kmod219
how do I sound like John Frusciante in Fortunea Faded? I have an LP and a Marshall 250 wat but I can't make it sound right.

1. Marshall does not make 250 watt amps. You have a MG 250DFX.

2. Learn how to spell.

3. You are not going to get a convincing John Frusciante tone with a Les Paul.

4. Learn how to spell.
^actually Frusciante does use les pauls from time to time, I'm not sure about fortune faded but I DO know that he used one on readymade on the stadium arcadium album
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
John uses a 59 LEs Paul Custom running into a Silver Jubilee and/or a couple of mid 60s 100w marshall headds for this song and readymade (and every other song, as these are his live and studio amps). He actually used a vintage 3 humbucker SG to record the song.

Everyone needs to quit being dicks, and also, know what youre talking about before you post please. John was never a drunk, i dont know where some of you got that from.

As for trying to sound like him on this particular song (normally he uses his strat on the neck or bridge pickups depending on the song) switch to the neck pickup on your LP and kick in your distortion pedal with moderately high gain, or use the distortion channel on the MG. Then, go from there.

The gritty tone on this song in particular isnt exactly the smoothest distortion youve ever heard, so its ok if it sounds a little raw.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by RHCPFitz at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
Start playing guitar
Start playing guitar using drugs and booze
REHAB
Start playing guitar again

This.

But short of becoming addicted to deadly drugs and having your house burn down, you can get a John Fruiscante tone a lot easier. A lot of Froosh stuff is a strat into a marshall or a fender (he does have one in his right, right?). Your MG's not the greatest amp for a convincing "real" marshall tone, but it should suffice if you don't want to spend a lot on a tube marshall. Not sure exactly how to nail the fortune faded tone though, i'm not familiar with that tone. But Froosh seems to either use a bright clean tone and a slightly muddy distorted tone.
Quote by Mike!
1. Marshall does not make 250 watt amps. You have a MG 250DFX.

2. Learn how to spell.

3. You are not going to get a convincing John Frusciante tone with a Les Paul.

4. Learn how to spell.

1) +1

2) +1

3) I saw them, he played a Les Paul for ONE song, which was the song in question, fortune faded.

4) +1
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by echo_4190
1) +1

2) +1

3) I saw them, he played a Les Paul for ONE song, which was the song in question, fortune faded.

4) +1

Sorry, I didn't bother reading the fortune faded part.

I guess he'll do ok, with an LP, but on an MG, there won't be a huge difference in sound.
Quote by RHCPFitz
Everyone needs to quit being dicks, and also, know what youre talking about before you post please. John was never a drunk, i dont know where some of you got that from.

He was a drunk, I don't know where you got your info from. Anthony Kiedis has stated that Frusciante had alcohol problems.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by acade365
learn his ****ing name first.

Learn to read the post.

There is a space limit on titles usually...

Same to the other guy, I'm just too lazy to double quote.