Looking to do some home recording of acoustic stuff (including vocals), and some demo's of electric stuff to send to my band's drummer.

1. What do I need to plug a Shure SM57/58 or something similar into my laptop?
2. Do I need a preamp to use them?
3. What is the best free software for mixing and mastering?
4. What is the best microphone for all round usage?
Last edited by treflip at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by treflip
Looking to do some home recording of acoustic stuff (including vocals), and some demo's of electric stuff to send to my band's drummer.

1. What do I need to plug a Shure SM57/58 or something similar into my laptop?
2. Do I need a preamp to use them?
3. What is the best free software for mixing and mastering?
4. What is the best microphone for all round usage?

1. An interface or mixer.
2. Yes, but the interface and mixer usually has them built in.
3. For recording and mixing go with either Audacity or REAPER. For mastering i'm not sure.
4. Shure SM57. It's great for guitars, vocals, bass and even micing up the drumkit.
I don't wanna sound cynical but please dont do your own mastering, one because, you just mixed it... how can you improve something you just got to the best of your ability. Two because some people call mastering an art and its bloody close to. Its something best left to professionals and is only really needed if your doing anything as major as an EP or higher (EP being something you'd be proud to sell and is high enough quality to play on the radio typically)
Quote by doommaker
I don't wanna sound cynical but please dont do your own mastering, one because, you just mixed it... how can you improve something you just got to the best of your ability. Two because some people call mastering an art and its bloody close to. Its something best left to professionals and is only really needed if your doing anything as major as an EP or higher (EP being something you'd be proud to sell and is high enough quality to play on the radio typically)

Yup, it takes years and years to learn how to master properly, and that is on top of learning how to record and mix.
Quote by maggot9779
1. An interface or mixer.
2. Yes, but the interface and mixer usually has them built in.

Any recommendations?
Depends what you want and what your budget is.
USB, Firewire, PCI, do a search around the forums there are HEAPS of suggestions.
If you give us your budget and needs we can help here though.
Basically as cheap as possible. So long as I can connect to my computer and record acoustic guitar, electric guitar and vocals with minimum noise, then I'll be happy. Not fussed about elaborate interfaces with millions of features.