Page 1 of 13
Gran Torino
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

Great to see Clint Eastwood back, and he excels here in his role personality that's similar to his character in heartbreak ridge. Torino was a great film but with two problems - the teenagers' acting was fairly poor in the first half, and the in-your-face, obvious religious symbolism at the end was way too awkward alongside the rest of the film. (see maddox's writeup on quantum of solace). But it sure was funny, regardless of its Million Dollar Baby style & tone of an ending. it almost seemed like Clint was self-parodying his Dirty Harry character - pretty funny stuff. This was a great watch, albeit not for everyone, but still worth checking out. it's a lot in mood like the shootist (with John Wayne) but with Clint Eastwood, and i think that's pretty darn cool.

Let's do it.
Last edited by bendystraw at Jan 17, 2009,
The Day the Earth Stood Still.

It wasn't awful, but it was by no means good either. It's just boring, and the central message of it is far too preachy and takes away from the sci-fi element. Can't really judge Reeve's acting due to him playing virtually a robot.

2.5/3 out of 5
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Platoon

I thought it was alright, but not good enough to win an Oscar.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Eastern Promise.

Pretty good, sexy woman, good plot.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I thought it was good, ****ed up, and it would be ****ing great high.
I don't remember which one it was exactly. It was either

Resident Evil Degeneration which I give a 4/5.
or
Tropic Thunder which I give a 3/3.5 out of 10.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Che Part One.

While the film got mixed reviews, I thought it was absolutely stunning. While the film is spoken full in Spanish, it only adds to the atmosphere. The film is shot with some amazing cinematography, and the dialogue is extremely well-written. At times, the film just meanders and the film is about 15 minutes too long, but it was a huge risk of a film and I think it paid off.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Quote by metaldud536
Disaster movie. I could've done 10 better things with those 1 hour and something minutes.

What made you think "If i watch this, it will make me happier." when going to see that?
Sicko

Micheal Moore's best film, i had no idea America's health care system could be so bad. or that Nixon masterminded it, not that i was surprised- futurama taught me he was a bad man

but also for making the point that one; state control is not a bad thing
and two; that medicine and healthcare is in a lot of danger by privatization setting us back to the 19th century
Just got back from Gran torino
I liked it, was hoping for a more traditional clint eastwood style ending though,
it was just depressing really, but the movie as a whole was good
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by con job
The Day the Earth Stood Still.

It wasn't awful, but it was by no means good either. It's just boring, and the central message of it is far too preachy and takes away from the sci-fi element. Can't really judge Reeve's acting due to him playing virtually a robot.

2.5/3 out of 5

Was it anything like the original?

"Gort. Klatu mirada, nicto"

...etc...
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

I'm gonna be straight up with all of you. This movie was phucking awesome. Spongebob was and will always be one of my favorite cartoons, because of the great stupid humor, and the more hidden adult humor that's thrown in there. The movie had a ridiculously great plot, and ridiculously great humor. Favorite quote has to be this:
Patrick: "Did you see my underpants?!"
The Princess Mermaid Lady: "No, Patrick I didn't."
Patrick: "Well, did you want to?"

Also, the ending will blow your socks off.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Pineapple Express.

Funny. Not laugh out loud histerical the entire way through, but definately an entertaining movie.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Gran Torino, ****ING GREAT
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
pineapple express.
very boring movie, th plot was generic, the dialogue was pointless, the jokes fell flat, and the third act of the movie is james franco yelling peoples names because he thinks they're dead
I am the last Samaurai

Quote by Strati
Note to self: keep off thread while on lsd trip.

Quote by gtrfrk123
Well i'm still fairly young so i still hump random things

Quote by Woogles
****K YOU HOE!
GTFO MAH UG!
Quote by jakekilgore666
pineapple express.
very boring movie, th plot was generic, the dialogue was pointless, the jokes fell flat, and the third act of the movie is james franco yelling peoples names because he thinks they're dead

Thanks i am just downloadin it
The other night, I went to see Benjamin Button and then came home and watched two more movies. I'll talk about all of them.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 8/10

I liked it a lot. Reminded me a lot of Forrest Gump, but that's far from a bad thing. The last ten minutes or so I could've done without, but on the whole it was a great film. If it doesn't win an oscar for cinematography, I'll be sad.

Art School Confidential - 6.5/10

Funny film, and speaking as an art student, scary accurate. I could identify a parallel in my own life for every single character. The serial killer subplot was a little stupid, and I think the ending could've been a lot better. I loved the environment the film created, but I wasn't thrilled with where it went.

Sweet & Lowdown - 8/10

I've got a bias here, because the first time I saw this movie I had a moment with a girl I spend a lot of time thinking about. Sean Penn is brilliant, Woody Allen's a hero, the music is badass. Anyone with any interest in jazz, Django Reinhardt, the 1930's, or Woody Allen or Sean Penn should go out of their way to see it.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Revolutionary Road,

very well-acted, plot made me want to read the book.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by bendystraw
What made you think "If i watch this, it will make me happier." when going to see that?

I knew it was going to suck. Friends shoulda rented another movie but nooo, even the guy who owned the video store recommended it.
I think the last movie I saw was Desperados with Antonia Banderas. Bloody good movie. Nothing fancy, just a good movie.

Bought all 6 Rocky films for £15 last weekend so I'll have to start munching my way through them soon.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
I did some catching up, and I watched V for Vendetta.

IMO, this movie r winrar! I love the plot depth, the characters, everything. I give it a 10/10.
Gran Torino.

The kid and his sister were absolutely terrible actors. Eastwood was great though, he's a pretty awesome cranky old man.
Quote by metaldud536
I knew it was going to suck. Friends shoulda rented another movie but nooo, even the guy who owned the video store recommended it.

That man needs a firm kick in the testicles.
Quote by jakekilgore666
pineapple express.

How is the plot generic? How many other stoner movies have car chases?

That was also the last movie I watched. I've seen it five times and I still think most of the jokes are hilarious. I've never laughed harder during a movie than I did the first time I saw it.
Quote by bigwillie
CornLord, you just blew my mind.
Yes Man about 3 hours ago, I loved it. Everyone in the cinema was laughing and it was very feel good. The girl in it is really pretty, and it left me and my friends feeling very good. Sat in the car laughing at stuff for about 20 minutes afterwards.
don't let the forest grow over the path you came here by
Quote by Lordofthepies
Yes Man about 3 hours ago, I loved it. Everyone in the cinema was laughing and it was very feel good. The girl in it is really pretty, and it left me and my friends feeling very good. Sat in the car laughing at stuff for about 20 minutes afterwards.

The girl in it is Zooey Deschanel, and someday I'm going to steal her from Ben Gibbard and make her my wife.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Slumdog Millionaire.

One of the best movies I've seen in a long, long time. I would absolutely recommend it.

9.5/10
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Great movie. Juan's ex-wife is TOO sexy! One of the few romance comedies I'd recommend to guys.
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
Burn After Reading

NOTHING like anyone would imagine it to be from seeing the previews. This is one of those "wtf" movies.

Positives - Brought both stories together seamlessly, and while delivering a small laugh here and there, still gave you a depressing sense of how the world and people are so corrupt and stupid.

Good character placement; each actor fit their role perfectly.

Negetives - Not really that funny. The only character that will make you laugh would be Brad Pitt's character "Chad", and for those of you that have seen it, his progression will not satisfy you, and, if you're anything like me, you might even be a little pissed off.

UNSATISFACTORY! Any chimp would hate the ending and the story doesn't really go hand in hand with it. Most likely a cheap attempt to be "unexpected".
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by YourDad
Burn After Reading

NOTHING like anyone would imagine it to be from seeing the previews. This is one of those "wtf" movies.

Positives - Brought both stories together seamlessly, and while delivering a small laugh here and there, still gave you a depressing sense of how the world and people are so corrupt and stupid.

Good character placement; each actor fit their role perfectly.

Negetives - Not really that funny. The only character that will make you laugh would be Brad Pitt's character "Chad", and for those of you that have seen it, his progression will not satisfy you, and, if you're anything like me, you might even be a little pissed off.

UNSATISFACTORY! Any chimp would hate the ending and the story doesn't really go hand in hand with it. Most likely a cheap attempt to be "unexpected".

That's how dark comedies are supposed to be. I'm a huge fan of dark comedies though, and I really want to see this movie.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

I'm gonna be straight up with all of you. This movie was phucking awesome. Spongebob was and will always be one of my favorite cartoons, because of the great stupid humor, and the more hidden adult humor that's thrown in there. The movie had a ridiculously great plot, and ridiculously great humor. Favorite quote has to be this:
Patrick: "Did you see my underpants?!"
The Princess Mermaid Lady: "No, Patrick I didn't."
Patrick: "Well, did you want to?"

Also, the ending will blow your socks off.

One of the best films ever made, I'm serious

I watched Lakeview Terrace last night, it was pretty terrible

I also saw Slumdog Millionaire, but that was a lot lot better, quite good I would say
Twenty Four Seven.

Was hard to take one character seriously because it was played by the same guy who was Les Battersby on Coronation Street. But awesome movie anyway, quite touching.