I am currently looking to buy a new amp, and I was talking to a guy that I might start jamming with soon, and he said he uses a ADA MP-1 Tube Preamp. He uses it for melodic death metal, and he said it was of great quality. I looked on ebay, and these things are selling for quite cheap, so if I like his tone enough, then I might buy one, but I was wondering, what exactly do you need to use it? (besides a cab)
Last edited by G-man05 at Jan 17, 2009,
A poweramp too. The output of the preamp isnt enough to be audible through a cab. You could run it into the FX loop return of your VK, so it is only used as a poweramp, but a good poweramp and nice cab would sound better.
Last edited by littlephil at Jan 17, 2009,
You need a power amp.

The ADA MP-1 is pretty cool, I REALLY dig my RM4, but it's quite a bit more
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Alright thanks for the help guys, but I have another question, which would be better for an Opeth or Lamb of God type of sound?
Mesa Boogie F-30
Or
ADA MP-1 + VK w/ speaker change
Probably the F-30.

The ADA will sound pretty sweet, but I'm not sure how it'll mix with the VK, and really wouldn't be worth the money to me either way.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Probably the F-30.

The ADA will sound pretty sweet, but I'm not sure how it'll mix with the VK, and really wouldn't be worth the money to me either way.

Yeah, I really only suggested that as a temporary situation.
yeah the ADA is a great preamp but I would say get a good cab and power amp soon
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I have a question, how would you bypass your current amps preamp when using a different preamp into the effects loop?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I have a question, how would you bypass your current amps preamp when using a different preamp into the effects loop?

If you plug into the effects loop return, the preamp is already bypassed.
so if you were just running say a delay pedal in the effects loop is the whole preamp bypassed then too?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
so if you were just running say a delay pedal in the effects loop is the whole preamp bypassed then too?

no. unless, you went guitar into delay pedal and delay pedal output into FX return. if your guitar goes into the amp input, your using the amp's preamp.

so between the preamp + new VK speaker and F-30, id say preamp. i dont know about most people, but i tried the F-30, and for metal, i wasnt too impressed. it was not bad, but still not very tight and defined under high amounts of gain

EDIT: i think the confusion your having is because you think that our idea of how to use the preamp is to put your guitar into the amp input, but thats not what you do. you go guitar > preamp > FX return. no FX send or amp input is involved
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 17, 2009,
ok gotcha, I was just thinking of having a different preamp that I could switch to change the sound of my amp.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020