i am looking for something with very high gain. i play classic metal and rock. my favorite bands are metallica, judas priest, tesla, megadeth, dokken, and ac/dc. i use an ibanez rg series guitar and im not sure exactly what type of pickups but there not emgs and thers 2 double coils and a single coil in the middle. my amp is a fender frontman 65 watt. i have an old line 6 spider also, and i really like the insane setting on it, is there any pedal that has a similar sound and high gain? if not is there a good pedal anyone can reccomend? my price range goes up to about $200.
Big Muff Pi
A Pro Co Rat
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Box of Rock

The best of the best in each category of distortion...

I'd get a new amp first though.
Last edited by AcousticLesPaul at Jan 17, 2009,
Best distortion pedal is the new Peavey 6505+ 1X12 combo. It's such an awesome pedal it comes with it's own amp!
Firstly, get a new amp. That solid state Fender isn't going to cut it for high-gain tones, and neither is the Line 6.

Secondly, from the sound of it you need heavy overdrive rather than distortion, or at least a distortion pedal that is voiced like overdrive. Once you've got a tube amp sorted, I would suggest a pedal like a Digitech HardWire Tube Overdrive (CM-2) or a Boss Super Distortion 1 (SD-1, not to be confused with the much more rubbish DS-1).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ
i am looking for something with very high gain. i play classic metal and rock. my favorite bands are metallica, judas priest, tesla, megadeth, dokken, and ac/dc. i use an ibanez rg series guitar and im not sure exactly what type of pickups but there not emgs and thers 2 double coils and a single coil in the middle. my amp is a fender frontman 65 watt. i have an old line 6 spider also, and i really like the insane setting on it, is there any pedal that has a similar sound and high gain? if not is there a good pedal anyone can reccomend? my price range goes up to about $200.

Kudos for being a Dokken fan - we are far and few between, my brother! GEORGE LYNCH, FTW!!!!
Quote by MrFlibble
Firstly, get a new amp. That solid state Fender isn't going to cut it for high-gain tones, and neither is the Line 6.

Secondly, from the sound of it you need heavy overdrive rather than distortion, or at least a distortion pedal that is voiced like overdrive. Once you've got a tube amp sorted, I would suggest a pedal like a Digitech HardWire Tube Overdrive (CM-2) or a Boss Super Distortion 1 (SD-1, not to be confused with the much more rubbish DS-1).

Really...
Quote by MrFlibble
or a Boss Super Distortion 1 (SD-1, not to be confused with the much more rubbish DS-1).

sd-1 is the super overdrive, which is not too high gain, but might be ok for metallica
The Blackstar Dual Pedal is awesome and covers alot of ground, from mild distortions to hi gain saturated tones that are great.
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ
how much is the Blackstar Dual Pedal?

Its not going to sound ANY different than a DS-1 in front of that frontman...
You're not gonna get a KK Downing tone from a Fender Frontman 65, no matter how many pedals you put in front of it. Don't waste money on pedals with the amps you have, save up for a better amp.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by BoNScoTTRuleZ
wait so is my frontman not a good amp?

Exactly.

Its a low end SS.

I'd recommend a higher end SS, or a low end Tube, and one of the pedals I listed.

Sound is 75% amp, 25% guitar.
Quote by amason51
the difference in clipping, and the way it distorts

not really...
Quote by al112987
not really...

well overdrive only slightly clips and boosts it so that it sounds like a tube amp on 10, distortion muddies up the sound and isn't as natural and warm.
Amps don't matter whyen you get a pedal with good standalone distortion.

Put your amp on clean and run a ProCo RAT, Clean Boosted Big Muff or MXR Classic Distortion in front of it. Or if you're intered in a Tube device get a Behringer VT999 (not the 911)
Quote by Entrant_21
Amps don't matter whyen you get a pedal with good standalone distortion.

Put your amp on clean and run a ProCo RAT, Clean Boosted Big Muff or MXR Classic Distortion in front of it. Or if you're intered in a Tube device get a Behringer VT999 (not the 911)

Not true at all...

And the MXR Classic Distortion isn't too good of a pedal. Unable to get a good sound out of it, and it blew out my amp. Needless to say, I dislike it.
Quote by SoulTrip
Kudos for being a Dokken fan - we are far and few between, my brother! GEORGE LYNCH, FTW!!!!

Ya, they don't get enough credit for their early stuff.
Quote by SoulTrip

I've always wondered why that is. They're by far one of the best bands from the 80s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by amason51
sd-1 is the super overdrive, which is not too high gain, but might be ok for metallica
My mistake, over here it's marketed as the Super Distortion.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by amason51
well overdrive only slightly clips and boosts it so that it sounds like a tube amp on 10, distortion muddies up the sound and isn't as natural and warm.

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that there was something inherently different about how high gain overdrives and distortion pedals introduced clipping into the signal which there isn't.

I think it's pretty funny how some people differentiate between "overdrives" and "distortions," people call the Zvex Box of Rock or Fulltone OCD "overdrive" pedals yet they don't slightly clip the signal, they get quite a bit of gain, yet people call something like a RAT a "distortion" pedal, yet there is nothing unnatural or cold sounding about one.