I can't seem to get it down. Can anyone give me some tips on how to hold my hand or where to put my thumb. I have been working on it for days now, and I'm getting angry with myself.
Use your arms as leverage and pull the guitar towards you instead of trying to just use finger strength..

That's what I do

Also helps to have lower action or bigger frets on the guitar
If you're getting angry over barre chords, wait until you hit theory and the modal stuff. Best advice I can give you is to cool down and relax. If you're upset and angry, your mind is in the wrong state for learning and you won't get it.

Once you've cooled down and are relaxed, I want you to try a simple exercise: We're going use our index finger to barre across the bottom 5 strings. Index finger at the 5th fret. I want your left thumb behind the neck of the guitar - not over the top of it. Got it? I want you to slowly strum all 5 of those strings. Does each of them ring clearly, or did you have some dead ones in there? Your index finger should be fairly straight and parallel to the fret. If you have any muted strings, look at your index finger and see what's going wrong. Fix it and try again. Once you have it perfect, I want you to take your second finger and place it at the 6th fret and 2nd string. Play all 5 strings again. Still good? If your second finger is muting adjacent strings, adjust it and try again. Let's get this perfect. Once you have it and all 5 sound good, let's add the 3rd finger. Place it at the 7th fret and 4th string. Repeat the previous step. Once you have all of the bugs worked out of that one, let's add the last finger. Place your pinky on the 7th fret and 3rd string. Repeat. Keep working at it until everything is perfect. When you come back to this later, it may not be perfect. It's going to take some time for your muscle memory to develop. Once it does, you'll be able to play barre chords on demand. Keep at it, don't get angry and give it a week or two. You will get it. I promise.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by KG6_Steven
If you're getting angry over barre chords, wait until you hit theory and the modal stuff. Best advice I can give you is to cool down and relax. If you're upset and angry, your mind is in the wrong state for learning and you won't get it.

Once you've cooled down and are relaxed, I want you to try a simple exercise: We're going use our index finger to barre across the bottom 5 strings. Index finger at the 5th fret. I want your left thumb behind the neck of the guitar - not over the top of it. Got it? I want you to slowly strum all 5 of those strings. Does each of them ring clearly, or did you have some dead ones in there? Your index finger should be fairly straight and parallel to the fret. If you have any muted strings, look at your index finger and see what's going wrong. Fix it and try again. Once you have it perfect, I want you to take your second finger and place it at the 6th fret and 2nd string. Play all 5 strings again. Still good? If your second finger is muting adjacent strings, adjust it and try again. Let's get this perfect. Once you have it and all 5 sound good, let's add the 3rd finger. Place it at the 7th fret and 4th string. Repeat the previous step. Once you have all of the bugs worked out of that one, let's add the last finger. Place your pinky on the 7th fret and 3rd string. Repeat. Keep working at it until everything is perfect. When you come back to this later, it may not be perfect. It's going to take some time for your muscle memory to develop. Once it does, you'll be able to play barre chords on demand. Keep at it, don't get angry and give it a week or two. You will get it. I promise.

I will try this in a little bit. Thanks for writing it all out. The muscle memory thing sounds cool too.
It took me weeks to get down F. It's easy now. Don't get mad, just let your fingers burn a little, they will strengthen up and also stretch better.

Look at this F barre chord instruction
Have your thumb in the middle of the neck and have it bent back (not forward as if you were writing with a pencil)
Squeeze your thumb and index together.
Pull your arm a little bit backwards and upwards so the very bottom of your index (near the palm, not tip) hits the first 2 strings.
Lay your index tip out over the neck a little bit (so your last joint in your index finger is in between the 5th and 6th strings)

It will take a week or two but it's normal with not so strengthened fingers. But when you do get it clear, practice switching between open chords and the F. Also it's called an F because your index is hitting
Last edited by tenfold at Jan 17, 2009,
I have been working on it for a little bit now. I can't seem to get the third string to go down, and if I move my hand in a different spot more strings mute. Is there something I'm doing wrong.
The 3rd string should be easy since it's played by your middle finger (on an F anyways).
Roll your finger towards the nut and lay your finger somewhat on its side and have your middle finger assist in the bar if it's not being used.
Maybe look up some youtube videos about barre chords or something.
Quote by tenfold
The 3rd string should be easy since it's played by your middle finger (on an F anyways).
Roll your finger towards the nut and lay your finger somewhat on its side and have your middle finger assist in the bar if it's not being used.
Maybe look up some youtube videos about barre chords or something.

I was just trying to get my first finger to be able to hold down all of the strings. If that sounds right.
u kinda use the side of your index a little bit and if your trying a straight bar chord the 3rd would be your pinky correct?

how are you at power chords maybe u should try that frist something easy

d----5------------
a----5---------
e----3--------

barring just takes time at frist it seems like the hardest thing int he world but later on it will be must easyer...

and like tenfold said the learning it f chord is a good one to learn it was the hardest chord for me too
Everything that has been said is very sound advice. But I just want to say this: Barre chords will take time, a LOT of time, to really get down. They took me about a year and a half to get them down.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you an example of how much time they take to get down!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Barre chords are really about using the side of your index finger instead of the bottom. It takes a lot of practice and time to build up the strength to do them. Then they get a lot easier. I find the full barre chord F a lot easier to play than open F.
Since no one said this already, your thumb goes in the middle of the back of the neck so you can use it as leverage.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
practice and stretch your hands from time to time to avoid straining
My things:
Rocket Stratocaster (Cheap Copy )
Zoom 1010
Really cheap stock amp fitted with a Dean Markley speaker
The way I do barre chords is I curve my index finger/thumb into a C. And then put my thumb right in the middle of the neck, so I can extend my index finger all the way to the top.

That's only because I have short fingers . If you can reach the top of the fret board without stretching your thumb to the middle of the neck, go for it!