ok, so here's what's up... ive been really wanting to play panic attack by dream theater, and some other nevermore songs, so i will need a b flat tuning.
Bb Eb Ab Db F Bb
so my question is what gauge strings should i use, and is it a good idea to use them on a guitar hooked up to a 30 watt line 6 spider? also, these strings are going to be stuck on an old fender starcaster (the ones from costco) that im customizing.. are guitar pickups are fine for this tuning? thanks in advance!

and btw, plz dont bash the amp.. it's going to be replaced soon
1997 Ibanez RG7620
Modded Starcaster by Fender

Boss GT10
Dunlop Mister Crybaby Wah

Line 6 Spider III 30
something tuned as far down as that I'd use about 12 or 13 gauge strings

and if u wanna play it, ytou don't need to change your guitar significantly. i just change the tuning, pedal and amp combo's and go. no need to go farther then that
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
Last edited by tryhonesty at Jan 17, 2009,
12 gauge strings... pickups don't matter*. Fine through that amp.

*They do for tone reasons, but tuning wise it doesn't.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Jeff Loomis uses a 70gauge bottom string, and the others are 10-52, so jut get a set gauged at that, take off the high E and get a 70 to use as the bottom string (or 62, it'll do too)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
12's yeah, pickups do matter, if they aren't active it will sound pretty ****ty. I have a Spider III 75W (also soon to be replaced with a Bugera 333XL). The tone i made (Kerry King from the Ultimate Settings Thread) actually sounds pretty good coming out of it. Woundn't say its awesome but its pretty good. 70 is way to loose for me.... i use a 54 as a low B and its still a little floppy so im gonna change to a 52 or something.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Shinozoku
Jeff Loomis uses a 70gauge bottom string, and the others are 10-52, so jut get a set gauged at that, take off the high E and get a 70 to use as the bottom string (or 62, it'll do too)

Why would he need a 70, I play in Drop B and my low B string is 54.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
It's drop B FLAT. And I'm currently playing in that tuning with a 56 on the bottom and it's too loose.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

alright, thanks for all the help! so, im thinking about D'Addario Nickel Round Would 12-54. does that sound alright? btw, SPBY, i am playing through passive, so does it sound very crappy or just bearably crappy?
1997 Ibanez RG7620

Boss GT10

Line 6 Spider III 30
Quote by iceman45
alright, thanks for all the help! so, im thinking about D'Addario Nickel Round Would 12-54. does that sound alright? btw, SPBY, i am playing through passive, so does it sound very crappy or just bearably crappy?

It'll only sound crappy if it was low output, and yeah, Shinozoku is right, you'll need something thicker than 54, but I doubt 56 would be too light.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
oh, ok.. so is DAddario 13 to 56 jazz good? btw, my guitar is just 21 frets, so im guessing a 25 scale neck.. does that change anything?
1997 Ibanez RG7620

Boss GT10

Line 6 Spider III 30
I believe your guitar is actually 25.5 inches, which is okay for this tuning (Hell, In Flames plays in that tuning on 24.34" scale guitars, but I'm sure they use the aforementioned heavy-as-fvck strings). I would reccomend getting a 7-string set and just take off the high E. I personally would recommend any gauge with a 60 on the bottom, but that gauge might work too. I've found that D'Addarios seem to have more tension than most other strings of the same gauge. It will still probably be kinda floppy though, not near as tight as say, a 48 or 50 in standard. Experiment, though, strings aren't that much

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jan 17, 2009,
ok, thanks for all the help. ill check em out
1997 Ibanez RG7620

Boss GT10

Line 6 Spider III 30
Quote by iceman45
oh, ok.. so is DAddario 13 to 56 jazz good? btw, my guitar is just 21 frets, so im guessing a 25 scale neck.. does that change anything?

number of frets doesn't determine scale length
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.