I searched for it and came up with very little.

When mixing in vocal tracks in the main mix, how exactly should the vocals be panned? It sounds like most bands use 1 track for the verse, but multiple for the chorus for depth ya know. What is a good rule of thumb for panning vocals, and the volume for each.

I read somewhere that James Hetfield dubbed the Unforgiven chorus like 40 some odd times, to make it sound so rich, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like 40 tracks were going at the same time. Maybe that was just hear say.

But what I'm getting at is how do you make multiple vocal tracks sound good?
I seriously doubt there are 40 layers of vocals in the unforgiven. Pehaps he did 40 takes.

Its all up to personal preference, if you want to use multiple vocal tracks pan them slightly, just enough so that they don't mud each other up but also not too much so that there are clearly different takes playing at once.
percentage wise?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I am a big fan of multitracked vocals.

Main vocal should be center. Then you can play around with the panning of the multi tracked tracks, usually I set them 20% either to the left or right, slightly less volume, sometimes a bit more reverb than the main track. Depends on the song.

Sometimes if it's like a "doo" line or some sort of hum or melody line I'll pan like 60-70% to the left, with lots of reverb, then do the same on the right hand side, and then maybe a few more closer in say, 20% in, and take the volume right down so it's just for effect.

Be creative with it, but yeah the trick is to get the right balance of volume and pan. Make sure you're taking breaks all the time because things always sound differently 30 minutes later with fresh ears.

You can be really subtle with it, or you can make it more obvious, depending on how you choose to mix it.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 17, 2009,
That helped a ton, thanks.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals