Page 1 of 2
Now to start off, i'm not an expert regarding physics, and I wouldn't be able to name all planets in our solar system in the correct order if my life depended on it. But,

What I do recall is that in high-school we were taught that one of the possibilities is that the universe is expanding in an exponential way. (The expansion keeps speeding up; also known as "Accelerating universe". We also know that the law of conservation of energy tells us that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only change form.

Now seeing that the universe is expanding, the creation of particles and whatever in the new parts of the universe requires energy, and this means that there will be an export of energy towards the new side from all parts of the universe.

The question I have regarding this is, won't this mean that sooner or later we might be "short on energy"? Seeing that energy can't be created, and knowing that the export towards the new parts of the universe is probably larger than their export of energy. I might have misunderstood some concepts, but this is a question I've been struggling with for a while.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

"Expansion" means that the current matter of the universe is spreading out, there is no new matter being produced.
Seeing as how E=mc^2...there is a lot of energy within the universe....I don't think it can run out
Quote by boreamor
We will still have batteries.

I'd like to see you store 1 YJ (yottajoule) in a battery. Our methods for storing energy are still quite limited. Just compare the sizes of some condensators with their actual capacity.

My Youtube Page

Quote by freedoms_stain
"Expansion" means that the current matter of the universe is spreading out, there is no new matter being produced.

Ah that clarifies a lot. So basically the universe is just being "stretched", it isn't creating new matter?

My Youtube Page

Quote by ItWillDo
I'd like to see you store 1 YJ (yottajoule) in a battery. Our methods for storing energy are still quite limited. Just compare the sizes of some condensators with their actual capacity.

the universe is spreading. eventually some scientists think that every molecule and piece of matter will stretch out so far and destroy everything. i do remember something about the term gray matter in the midst of it... idk about the energy thing though. that's probably another part of the matter spreading thing too
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
i think one of the theories is that the universe will continually lose energy until it reaches absolute zero, just due to the affect of entropy.
I have no opinion on this matter.
To OP:

Yes, and that is one of the main arguments against the big bang. If time has no beginning, then that is the infinite past, correct? And if we have an infinite past, that means we are in the infinite future. But we still are using energy everyday, which would be impossible in the infinite future, where all energy would be destroyed.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Quote by ItWillDo
Now to start off, i'm not an expert regarding physics, and I wouldn't be able to name all planets in our solar system in the correct order if my life depended on it. But,

What I do recall is that in high-school we were taught that one of the possibilities is that the universe is expanding in an exponential way. (The expansion keeps speeding up; also known as "Accelerating universe". We also know that the law of conservation of energy tells us that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only change form.

Now seeing that the universe is expanding, the creation of particles and whatever in the new parts of the universe requires energy, and this means that there will be an export of energy towards the new side from all parts of the universe.

The question I have regarding this is, won't this mean that sooner or later we might be "short on energy"? Seeing that energy can't be created, and knowing that the export towards the new parts of the universe is probably larger than their export of energy. I might have misunderstood some concepts, but this is a question I've been struggling with for a while.

i because so confused there, so i stopped reading.

get a life.
get a gf (or bf, don't really care)
/thread
Quote by ItWillDo
Ah that clarifies a lot. So basically the universe is just being "stretched", it isn't creating new matter?
I dunno if stretched is the right word, that would imply there is some external force pulling it.

No one knows what's causing the expansion, particularly since it appears to be accelerating.
The question is, and I am no physics or space buff, but: What the **** is the universe expanding into? I know galaxies fly through space at different rates, and they expand and contract themselves, but the universe? There has to be something beyond thatend point of the universe.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
To OP:

Yes, and that is one of the main arguments against the big bang. If time has no beginning, then that is the infinite past, correct? And if we have an infinite past, that means we are in the infinite future. But we still are using energy everyday, which would be impossible in the infinite future, where all energy would be destroyed.
Energy doesn't get destroyed, it changes form.

And Time is speculated to have come into existence immediately following the big bang so fuck knows where that argument is coming from.
I believe one theory is that the universe will eventually just collapse back in on itself. Problem solved and then everything can start all over again.
Quote by djmay71
i because so confused there, so i stopped reading.

get a life.
get a gf (or bf, don't really care)
/thread

I have a life, I have a girlfriend, and i'm finishing my studies for electronic engineering which I will continue with my studies in nano-technology. The thing is, you'll start respecting yourself more once you realise that knowledge is power. You should give it a shot. Start off with basic use of capital letters and grammar.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I dunno if stretched is the right word, that would imply there is some external force pulling it.

No one knows what's causing the expansion, particularly since it appears to be accelerating.

Yeah, that's why I put it between those marks, what are they called in English anyway?

ItWillEdit: Woops, meant jimivancobain there.
Anyway I guess i've grasped the concept behind it now. But of course new questions arised with it, one being the situation which Zugunruhe proposed. Won't the constant expansion cause some sort of "rip" somewhere in the universe, etc...

My Youtube Page

Last edited by ItWillDo at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Korosu
I believe one theory is that the universe will eventually just collapse back in on itself. Problem solved and then everything can start all over again.

Yea, but that will be so long from now, humans will have gone extinct long before that. If the asteroid slated to come close to us on 2012, does come close enough, our gravitational pull will reverse its course and it will come back and hit us some time in the 2050s, I believe; causing a mass extinction.
Quote by jimivancobain
the universe is spreading. eventually some scientists think that every molecule and piece of matter will stretch out so far and destroy everything. i do remember something about the term gray matter in the midst of it... idk about the energy thing though. that's probably another part of the matter spreading thing too

This, and in the end, it all come back to the center and explode all over again, another big band.
Quote by ItWillDo

Indeed, the entropy of the universe is constantly increasing. The amount of useful energy in the universe is decreasing and eventually will be zero.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by creeping.death!
Hasn't the Big Crunch been disproven?
No, it just looks unlikely at the moment due to the fact that the expansion appears to be accelerating. However there's no way of knowing if this will stop and begin contracting or just keep going forever.
Quote by freedoms_stain

And Time is speculated to have come into existence immediately following the big bang so fuck knows where that argument is coming from.

Just saying, and 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says something to that affect. You could interpret 'destroyed' as 'converted into an unusable state.'

Also this post directly relates to mine::
Quote by yoshixxx7
Indeed, the entropy of the universe is constantly increasing. The amount of useful energy in the universe is decreasing and eventually will be zero.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
Last edited by BillieJoeFreak: at Jan 17, 2009,
Hmm. Am I the only one who isn't sure if the 'Big Bang' theory is true? I mean if the universe is going to collapse back on itself, then what about the black holes? Don't they suck up any matter that comes near them? Atleast that's what I think. I'm not really sure about this though. xD I'm probably wrong, so I dunno. Don't yell. :3
My name is Avery

We should dance.
Last edited by x__gunsxgoxbang at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by x__gunsxgoxbang
Hmm. Am I the only one who isn't sure if the 'Big Bang' theory is true? I mean if the universe is going to collapse back on itself, then what about the black holes? Don't they suck up any matter that comes near them? Atleast that's what I think. I'm not really about this though. xD I'm probably wrong, so I dunno. Don't yell. :3

My understanding is: When the big bang occurred, stars where the result, and over time, these stars died off forming black holes, since black holes are merely the final stage of a dying star, there weren't any to start with. If the universe were to come back in on itself, then all the matter would get sucked into black holes....although what if a black hole gets sucked into a black hole I guess it would e like dividing by 0.
Quote by freedoms_stain

Big bang had nothing to do with time.

Time has nothing to do with anything unless there is someone around to be worried about it.

Time came into existence, when primitive man decided he needed to break the days up some how.

One of our greatest inventions, Time. A kind of perpetual motion invention. It has been started, and now all we do is try to "make" it, "spend" it, "go back" in it, "go forward" in it, "find" it etc and let it totally rule our lives.
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
Just saying, and 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says something to that affect. You could interpret 'destroyed' as 'converted into an unusable state.'

Also this post directly relates to mine::

You could interpret it that way, but you'd be wrong. conversion =/= destruction.

And that post only relates to yours if you leave out the silly thing about Time and substantially alter the meaning of the word "destruction".
wait... if all matter does come to the center of the universe to explode and restart, than maybe the universe is one big cycle? maybe this has already happenned before? idk just a thought that popped into my head from some of the posts
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Quote by x__gunsxgoxbang
Hmm. Am I the only one who isn't sure if the 'Big Bang' theory is true? I mean if the universe is going to collapse back on itself, then what about the black holes? Don't they suck up any matter that comes near them? Atleast that's what I think. I'm not really about this though. xD I'm probably wrong, so I dunno. Don't yell. :3

No you're not the only one who thinks that. You have an army of a billion Christian(s) (extremists) supporting you. (No offense, i'm Christian too)

The Big Bang is still an "agnostic" concept. We don't have a way of proving this theory, so we can't assume it to be true.

My Youtube Page

Quote by Skeet UK
Big bang had nothing to do with time.

Time has nothing to do with anything unless there is someone around to be worried about it.

Time came into existence, when primitive man decided he needed to break the days up some how.

One of our greatest inventions, Time. A kind of perpetual motion invention. It has been started, and now all we do is try to "make" it, "spend" it, "go back" in it, "go forward" in it, "find" it etc and let it totally rule our lives.
Nope.

Because I'm talking about space-time and you're talking about minutes and hours.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Nope.

Because I'm talking about space-time and you're talking about minutes and hours.

I'm pretty sure the big bang did not create a whole new dimension, as in time. It may have created a separate timeline, however.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
I'm pretty sure the big bang did not create a whole new dimension, as in time. It may have created a separate timeline, however.

I think he's trying to say that he's refering to the "Progress in evolution" as time.

My Youtube Page

Quote by ItWillDo
No you're not the only one who thinks that. You have an army of a billion Christian(s) (extremists) supporting you. (No offense, i'm Christian too)

The Big Bang is still an "agnostic" concept. We don't have a way of proving this theory, so we can't assume it to be true.

Actually, there are enough scientific facts backing the big bang theory that it is generally accepted as a viable way of the creation of the universe, like evolution, if you even briefly look at the facts you see it is obviously true, but you can't using the scientific method definitely say so. It is like in court, they convict a murderer to life based on some facts, they can't 100% prove it unless he confesses, but there is a general consensus that the person in question, if convicted, is guilty.

I as an agnostic think there was never a beginning. What about before the big bang, where did that ball of energy and matter come from. I believe it was there all along or was the result of an even bigger event billions of years before. I say there was never a beginning because NO GOD, not matter how all mighty and powerful can create matter and energy from NOTHING.
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
We don't know what came before the big bang, so for all intents and purposes the big bang was the beginning of x, y, z and time.
Quote by in2thesun88
Actually, there are enough scientific facts backing the big bang theory that it is generally accepted as a viable way of the creation of the universe, like evolution, if you even briefly look at the facts you see it is obviously true, but you can't using the scientific method definitely say so. It is like in court, they convict a murderer to life based on some facts, they can't 100% prove it unless he confesses, but there is a general consensus that the person in question, if convicted, is guilty.

I as an agnostic think there was never a beginning. What about before the big bang, where did that ball of energy and matter come from. I believe it was there all along or was the result of an even bigger event billions of years before. I say there was never a beginning because NO GOD, not matter how all mighty and powerful can create matter and energy from NOTHING.

See:
Quote by ItWillDo
We don't have a way of proving this theory, so we can't assume it to be true.

My Youtube Page

Quote by in2thesun88

Ok now this is just a load of BS, I hate agnostics more then atheists. This goes back to my previous post, where I said that we are in the infinite future. We can't be in the infinite future. Somebody needed to create time.

Quote by freedoms_stain
We don't know what came before the big bang, so for all intents and purposes the big bang was the beginning of x, y, z and time.

And that sir is bad logic.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
Last edited by BillieJoeFreak: at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by ItWillDo
See:

But what I am saying is, it is generally accepted and assumed as true in the scientific community among people who have given their entire lives to studying this kind of thing.
Page 1 of 2