Page 1 of 2
In your opinion, and I mean it, what is a Guitar God, or Hero?
What kind of features a guitarist has makes you in awe when you hear their solos or just their strumming?
Everyone probably has a different opinion on this.

For Example, I believe that the best guitarists make every single note count and powerful in their solos or just simply playing.
That would be Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and even Ritchie Blackmore who isn't that savy but his riffs were so powerful and memorable we never forgot a song by Deep Purple.
Even Smoke on the Water is a great song, everytime he fingerpicks the strings you feel that force that he makes.

As opposed to that, I'm not really impressed by the so-called American "Virtuosos", who tend to be Italian American a lot of the times.
They include Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert.
Fast wrists don't impress me at all, probably explains why I'm not such a die-hard metal fan.
a pact with the devil makes a guitar god, duh.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Jimmy Page is god. I think a good way to measure guitar godness quantitatively is by counting the number of times I say "Ooo yeah" during a live version of a song.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
If they're able to create a melody that touches my heart I can concider them as a "Guitar hero"
Guitar + Immortality + Superpowers = Guitar God
Gamertag: Thugzbunny6
add me and say you are from the pit
There riffs/solos give you that tingly feeling
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
What makes a Guitar God?

Eric Clapton's mother.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
You'll find it's melody and good song writing that makes the real legends.

Thats why J.Beck and Buckethead are talked about so often, but they never get near legend lists because they each have around five songs that people remember.

True.
Quote by Odlid
If they're able to create a melody that touches my heart I can concider them as a "Guitar hero"

exactly.

now days, all people care about is uber fast solos that are 9 out of 10 times, not melodic.

what the hell happened to melody... seriously. solos lately have been horrible. i havent heard a good, original, melodic sounding solo is a while. ive thought about this alot. To me, a good solo is melodic. Thats it. Doesnt matter how fast, what key, or length in my opinion. As long as you can make a good sounding solo thats somewhat original, then you have true talent.
By their originality, and being able to simply hear a solo or riff on the radio and be like "Oh yea, that's definitely ____." Also, they gotta have great stage presence. They gotta walk and look like they play. Slash is the epitome of Guitar God because of his stage presence, attitude, and guitar playing.
Ibanez RGT42DX
-D'Addario .09-.42
Washburn X10
-Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottem
Cort 5 String Bass

Kustom Arrow 160FX
Electro-Harmonix-Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
Digitech-Grunge

being able to combine speed originality and good songs in a unique blend.

also being dead helps alot
I'm pretty sure that guitar skills are what make a guitar god.
EDIT: also death
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I chose Joe Satriani to be my personal guitar lord and guitar savior. Idk about you guys.
They have to get their message across to you via the notes they play.

The best example of this is probably David Gilmour.
David Gilmours piss

Drink it, and your a guitar god

Also, anyone with enough skill to make songs that are out of the ordinary, but still can gain some popularity, like Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, etc.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jan 17, 2009,
While I do believe they are somewhat overrated, I think Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen are guitar gods for the sheer fact that nobody revolutionized guitar playing as much as them.

I forget where I heard it, it may have been on UG but I remember somebody saying, "A good guitarist is someone who can play great songs. A great guitarists is someone who can write great songs." Or some such nonsence.
Last edited by Seamus O'shanty at Jan 17, 2009,
If I hear a riff or solo, and I think something like, "Woah, I couldn't have ever written that," then I consider them to be a creative guitarist. If it's nothing special, but makes me feel a certain way, then they are an emotional guitarist.

A guitar god is somebody who takes creativity and fuses it with emotion.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by pablo_arg
They have to get their message across to you via the notes they play.

The best example of this is probably David Gilmour.

So true, some how Comfortably Numb's solo squeezes my brain a bit and I love it
When you look forward more to the solo's than than singing. As if the guitar has a voice of its own that exceeds human comprehension!
When I hear a guitar god play, I immediately think "I know for sure that I wouldn't be able to immitate that even if I practice all my life", which is the case of Jimmy Page.

As Josh Homme said "anyone can practice and play like Satriani".
A Guitar God to me...

is...

someone who plays guitar

EDIT: Fine...
A true guitar god to me is when they write memorable riffs and have their solos sink into your brain melting it...
Playing fast or being technical has no meaning to me cause.. well.. there isn't a point in doing that
Last edited by Cianyx at Jan 17, 2009,
Quote by Cianyx
A Guitar God to me...

is...

someone who plays guitar

I play guitar... I guess by your logic that makes me a guitar god
Quote by Seamus O'shanty
I play guitar... I guess by your logic that makes me a guitar god

I do to, and the rest of the world who has a guitar should be one...

Jesus christ, don't cause an inflation...
Quote by radomu
I do to, and the rest of the world who has a guitar should be one...

Jesus christ, don't cause an inflation...

Yeah..
Imma firm believer in equality
Quote by radomu
When I hear a guitar god play, I immediately think "I know for sure that I wouldn't be able to immitate that even if I practice all my life, and I can feel the emotion of this guitarist through his songs" which is the case of Jimmy Page.

Fix'd. I think "I'll never play this" when I hear Herman Li.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
i like those solos you can sing too, like the ones brian may does in slow songs
so basically if they right catchy riffs and have a good sense of melody and creativity, and are also world famous, i classify them as a guitar god
(i love all the blues players, but i dont understand why all the first white guys to incorporate blues into there playing became "guitar Gods" though in a few of the cases i do agree)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daze Of My Youth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

caution: This sig employs the use of symbolism beyond "lol bright colours=flamboyantly gay
"
if your band can record a multy platnum album in 30 hours tthen yes you will probably sooner or latter be recignised as a guitar god
Guitar Playing ability+ omnipotence/omniscience= Guitar God
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
Fix'd. I think "I'll never play this" when I hear Herman Li.

Yeah, but does he actually play Through Fire and Flames live like he does on the record?
Nope, he can't.
Quote by radomu
When I hear a guitar god play, I immediately think "I know for sure that I wouldn't be able to immitate that even if I practice all my life", which is the case of Jimmy Page.

I like Josh and his music, but I disagree. I understand that the approach Satriani takes doesn't appeal to the majority, but I also think that his compositional skills and ability to create beautiful melodies shows that his talent extends far beyond simply practicing scales and advanced techniques in a corner for 8 hours a day. I don't really listen to him very much anymore at all, but I can never deny his accomplishments.

As far as the topic at hand, it takes many things and I'm too lazy to say what I feel about it right now
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by radomu
Yeah, but does he actually play Through Fire and Flames live like he does on the record?
Nope, he can't.

Not exactly, but it's pretty damn close when he's sober. Good enough. He also lacks melody in a lot of his parts.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
no matter who you are, if your dead you where one of the greatest ever, even if they weren't actually that great.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by radomu
Nope, he can't.

i can get 100% on expert, does that make me a guitar hero?
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by radomu
Nope, he can't.

Get off your ****ing high horse.

He only cant play it live when he's drunk. When he's sober he can play the song perfectly fine. I've yet to hear ANYONE make their live songs sound EXACTLY the same as they do on their record.

Closest I've ever heard was Nevermore.

On topic, I think the fans of the guitarist, plus the influence the guitarist has on music in general, is the key to whether or not people will remember him/her.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance