My Mesa DC-10 is giving me a ton of hum and feedback.

-Hum is strongest when cord is in amp, but unplugged from guitar (tried several cords)
-Tons of feedback when not playing, even with strings muted
-Can mute the feedback with passive pickups, not my EMG's, but still strong feedback when unmuted
-Tubes are about a month old and appear fine

-Earlier when I was playing I got a strong volume surge out of nowhere.
-Old house, sh@tty wiring
-

Could it be that I'm getting varying power out of the wall?
Ibanez S
Gibson SG
Mesa/Boogie DC-10 (Customized )
Digitech JamMan
Ibanez Demon Wah
EH Metal Muff
I too need help with the literal exact same problem as yours with a RV50
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
the unplugged cord to the guitar, but in amp is normal for it to buzz then... it happens on any amp. Are you buy anything electronic?

another big thing could be dimmers - if you have a light in your room on a dimmer, shut it off.. the hum should stop
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
What channels do you get the feedback on?
Every channel?
If not on the clean then where do you keep your pre and post gain knobs set to.

What story of your home do you have your amplifier on?

Have you tried it in a different building besides the retailer and your own?

Do you use any pedals?

Have you tried unpluging your footswitch?
Thanks fellas

I'm going to try some other outlets. My smaller amp (easy to move) doesn't feedback or buzz as bad with either guitar at another outlet. Gonna let my tubes cool down then lug the big bastard upstairs....
NVM

The little amp just isn't powerful enough to produce the feedback as noticeably.

Could it be my powersource out of the wall? If that IS NOT a possibility, i dont want to be lugging this thing around to friends houses trying it out, lol.
Quote by thrasher_s
NVM

The little amp just isn't powerful enough to produce the feedback as noticeably.

Could it be my powersource out of the wall? If that IS NOT a possibility, i dont want to be lugging this thing around to friends houses trying it out, lol.

*knock knock*
"Hello Mrs. Konner, may i use your electrical outlet for a second?"
*Lady slams door shut*

Are you talking about a power strip?
no, old house near a college campus. Quite possible that i am not getting constant power, or the outlet could be ungrounded. Definitely using a quality surge protector.
make sure your outlet's good. Otherwise, what are your settings and how close are you to your amp? I never have the gain above 6 on my DC-5 above that it gets too saturated and THEN I get tons of feedback. Try lowering the gain, turning up the amp a tad louder, and standing farther away. With EMGs feedback shouldn't be worse than with passives. Also, since you said it has only month old tubes, when they were changed did you bias the amp? I hear Mesas are very sensitive to different kinds of tubes, even if they're the same time (like changing a 6L6 to another 6L6, etc). Don't know if that would cause feedback and noise, but try that out maybe?