Hi, I've just ordered the Ibanez RG 321MH, since my Ibanez GRG-170dx has ****ed me over just about too many times, so I'm ready to upgrade to the true RG series, with the real Ibanez Wizardry awesomeness neck, and I want my new RG to stay healthy, and avoid ****ing up the input thingy so it doesn't end up like my GRG. I've used the GRG almost everyday for two years playing VERY much on it every day, everything from 2 hours a day to 10 or 12, so it's no wonder why it got so ****ed up, but I want to take real good care of my new RG, so tips would be appreciated.
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Dont get a straight cable...

And don't bend the cable...

Screw the nut around it in more every so often...

Use the same brand of cable consistently...
Define straight cable :P
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
tighten it
Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone Les Paul (SD JB + 59)
Epiphone Dot (Dirty Fingers + 57 Classic)
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
The jack? Input?
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500

add a locking washer under the nut. and tighten it like this.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
what's a locking washer? where exactly is the nut? :P Can you just tape the wires to the metal arm thingy? :P
Gear:
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
a) replace the jack with a higher quality one
b) locking nut, or you could super glue the nut on the jack
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
i would not use super glue.

if you dont think that a locking washer... (it's just a little metal, rough surfaced, coin, goes in between the nut and the threads in the jack)... is good enough paint a little clear nail polish on the threads to lock the nut in place.

no you dont use tape. you heat a soldering iron ($15) and melt a dab of solder at the wire to hold it in place.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yea, don't use straight cables unless the jack is on the front of the guitar or you play purely standing up. The jack plate on my LP shattered and no shop around here has a replacement so right now my jackplate is made of electrical tape.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ShredGod George
whats so bad about Straight cables?

Inside your guitars input jack, there is a little metal arm, if you will, made out of thin metal. Only the very tip of your input jack, the part with that little divet in and past that, connects to your guitar.

If you sit it down while it is plugged in and the jack is on the side, that little metal arm gets bent, and there goes your guitars input jack. You could just as easily bump the straight cable if it is in a front mounted jack as well. Straight cables belong in speakers, not no guitars!
Quote by ShredGod George
What abut strat style front angle jacks?

Even then, the straight cable is angled to the body due to the style of the jack. If you press down on it, say, with your forearm or elbow, you run the risk of bending that little "arm". I swear by Bullet Coil Cables!
well, no reason for panic.

i've never snapped a jack, been playing for 15 or so years.

but if the jack is on the front, (not strat style) then right angle jacks lay flat and there's less chance of pulling them out.

also flip the slack of the cable up over the stap peg and behind you, so you dont step on your cable and rip out the jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Theres that lock tite stuff.. that might work... but ive never used it. I just tighten mine up a bunch and use an 90 degree angled chord.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Use a better cable and a better input jack. I only use Switchcraft brand ones. Best ones out there.
if its that bad...

locate in the input, unscrew it and in the hole where the put the screws in (no s******ing)

put matchsticks in each of them and snap a bit off, then screw the input back