When someone says they're a musician, can you guess what instrument they play?

Whenever someone says that they play music, I always catch myself thinking "Oh, he probably plays *insert instrument here*." Sometimes it's extremely obvious (they're wearing a shirt with drums on it or something) but other times I'll take a complete guess and sometimes get it right, usually I'm wrong, but I always feel cool those few times I get it right

so anyways Pit, do you guys normally find yourself guessing what instrument a fellow musician plays?
No
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
well not a bass player ill tell you that
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Last edited by ThinLizzyFan at Jan 17, 2009,
guitar..... always guitar

or they suck and i can tell they cant play guitar
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
Quote by Karvid
No

Agreed

maybe its because i live in a town of like 2000 so i basically know every musician and what they play.
Where the hell did slide guitar go!?!
Yea, when i see a guy with a red plead shirt, cut up jeans, a beer belly, and a Nascar hat
and they say theyr a musician, i usually guess Banjo
Or the Spoon
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
No this is just a little game you made up you are trying to force onto others, because like you...they grew up wearing a helmet.
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
Quote by Siro78
No this is just a little game you made up you are trying to force onto others, because like you...they grew up wearing a helmet.

haha congrats i think you just guessed his instrument as being his helmet which he uses as a percussion instrument (banging head on wall)
Quote by Siro78

Quote by Another bassist

Kidding dude, but I was just pointing out...this isnt something that goes through my head when I meet other "musicians". I just ask what they play without giving it much thought.
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
Quote by boreamor
I don't consider people musicians if they just play one instrument.

any particular reason or just being sarcastically elitist?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by boreamor
I don't consider people musicians if they just play one instrument.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think that there are many great composers who played only one instrument.
I usually just ask them.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Lemoninfluence
any particular reason or just being sarcastically elitist?

I'm not trying to be elitist in the slightest to be honest. It's just something that I've alwas thought =/ Like I consider myself a guitarist because I only learn things relevant to my guitar playing.

There are obvious exceptions like many classical musicians.

I don't know in all honesty. It's just the way I've thought about things. You can be a guitarist/bassist/drummer/pianist/trombonist/etc or a musician, which is more than two with music theory knowledge.

I know I'm completely wrong in this, it's just the way I think.
How can you possibly guess what instrument they play? They could play 5 instruments for all you know.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Actually, I agree with Boreamor. Musician is more like knowledge of different music/instruments, while being a guitarist (or whatever) would be knowing about only that instrument.

Although bassist/guitarists/drummers usually don't say "musician". They would say bass/guitar/drums.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Most guys I meet assume that I play bass because I'm female. I actually play guitar, drums, accordian and piano
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Quote by Bamitchell
Actually, I agree with Boreamor. Musician is more like knowledge of different music/instruments, while being a guitarist (or whatever) would be knowing about only that instrument.

Although bassist/guitarists/drummers usually don't say "musician". They would say bass/guitar/drums.

while you may refer to someone who plays only guitar as a guitarist, it doesn't mean he isn't a musician.

a musician is someone who creates and/or plays music.

it's like saying you don't consider surgeons to be doctors because they perform surgery as opposed to being in general medicine.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
How many drummers go around with t-shirts with pictures of drums on them

Just me that thought that?