I was wondering what would be the best program to record a demo on. I'm getting an 8-channel mixer this week and microphones. I was also wanting to know how I would connect mre than one audio/microphone input in my computer.
run through audacity, and next time that you have a question you'll get the best answers (and possibly see threads answering your questions) in the riffs and recordings section of the forums, as for the microphone thing i dont know why you would need more than one in unless you want to get 360 degrees of sound otherwise you'll just need one, but i think you can use more than one
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Now that I think of it... USB hub + USB mics. *Cough* Rock band video game.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
I will try out audicity. What I meant about the mic thing is i'm also recording drums at my house so that requires a few mics(already got one) I was thinking if theres some way to put them into a usb slot in the computer. I need a usb-audio input if they have one.
dont think that with audacity you can assign a mic to each track... let alone have 8 mic signals coming in at once... you could try to obtain cubase tho.

the mixer will have usb or firewire input to your computer. dont go buying usb mics because you will want real mics for the mixer.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Jan 17, 2009,
How would I connect multiple channels to the computer so i can record 8 at a time for drums?
You can't do it in a free program... But seriously, ask this in the recording section.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
$50 is not quite a bit of cash when it comes to software. The ideal setup for you would be:

-an 8 track audio interface
-Good software so you can edit, mix, etc.

For that you will be looking at:

Cakewalk, Cubase, etc.

I suggest you look at purchasing Cakewalk Home Studio for $140. It's got a lot of stuff packed into it. Very user friendly. Good features, a good all round sequencer + audio program. I use Sonar, which is the next version up but Home Studio is just as good for what you need it for.

With this you can load up all your tracks, as many as you need, load effects, synths, notate, whatever you need to do.

Keep in mind you can always use MIDI drums until you can afford to buy all the mics, etc. but yeah - get yourself a good audio interface, and the software. Other things to look at in the near future are monitors, but yeah, one step at a time.
Mics are cheap for some decent quality ones
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-XM8500-Microphone-3-Pack-270403-i1126589.gc
Those got some good 5-star ratings They also have cheaper ones for $60 for 6 mics and a carrying case. its about $20 for the berhingers. So, i'm not worried about mics at all. My band needs to find bassist and rythm guitarist too, so in hat time i will be able to get enough cash.
Ps. I'm still looking fior an answer to my original question. How would i connect more than one mic to my computer from a mixer?
timbit2006,

I covered your original question in my post above.

To connect multiple mics to your PC, you need a mixer capable of handling that many inputs. So, for 8 tracks, an 8 track audio interface. The mics go into the interface on different channels, then that mixer gets plugged into your PC via firewire, for example.

In your software (check my recommendations above), you assign each track on your mixer to a track in the software. Then you hit record and go from there.

Regarding your comment on mics.

Those mics are OK. They're not amazing but they are very good for their price. Fine for demos, etc.

However, if you want an even half decent sounding drum kit recording, you can't use vocal mics over the whole kit. It'll get you by if you are on a real budget, but something to keep in mind. You'll notice what I mean when you start recording, but you're going to want to at least invest in some decent overheads (Look up drum recording on google, there's lots of stuff), those mics will not be on your side when you're recording cymbals especially.

Also remember, over 50% of the result you are going to get will be your engineering. Recording drums at home, and making them sound GOOD is tough. You need to read up on your engineering and practice, practice, practice. Make sure you know your EQ, compression, reverb, etc at the very least.

You could have the worlds best gear but if you don't know your tools then you're not going to produce good results.

In order for the whole process to work you are going to want to get the software too, as I suggested in my other post. Play around with it. Start recording as soon as you can to get the experience.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 18, 2009,
If you are talking about how to actually plug that many mics into a computer, then your going to need a whole bunch of headphone jack splitters and a lot of 1/4 to 1/8 converters, because microphones are going to have a 1/4 jack and you need a 1/8 to plug into the computer. I hope this helped.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.