Im considering to get a Schecter c7 blackjack, which has a Tune-O-Matic bridge.

Ive never played a guitar with a TOM (non recessed), and I cant find a local shop to try the schecter.

Does is make harder to play/pick the TOM compared to a floyd rose type bridge? Does that difference in distance from the strings to the body change the overall fell of the guitar?
Last edited by bazuriya at Jan 17, 2009,
I haven't played with a FR, but I don't have any problem with Tom's. I wouldn't think there's any difference though.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by bazuriya
Im considering to get a Schecter c7 blackjack, which has a Tune-O-Matic bridge.

Ive never played a guitar with a TOM (non recessed), and I cant find a local shop to try the schecter.

Does is make harder to play/pick the TOM compared to a floyd rose type bridge? Does that difference in distance from the strings to the body change the overall fell of the guitar?

I own an Epi SG, and a Schecter Hellraiser, so I've tried both. I honestly don't that much difference in the two. The TOM might hurt your hand if you palm mute too hard, and too far back, but it shouldn't be a problem. Props on a Schecter 7 too. I might be getting one soon too.
Thanks for your replies guys.

Im concerned because itll already be shocking to get used to a 7string wider/thicker neck, and I use to rest my hand on the body.

Quote by AcousticLesPaul
No. It's just fine.

What difference in strings from the body? The action could be the same.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that regardless what action you set, the distance from the strings to the body will always be bigger in a TOM than, say a Floyd Rose.
Quote by bazuriya
Thanks for your replies guys.

Im concerned because itll already be shocking to get used to a 7string wider/thicker neck, and I use to rest my hand on the body.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think that regardless what action you set, the distance from the strings to the body will always be bigger in a TOM than, say a Floyd Rose.

Right at the start of the bridge pickup, yes. Then it evens out. Unless you play really far back, it shouldn't matter.
It depends on the type of ToM also. I've played ToM bridges on zero angle necks that were very close to the body. From what I remember playing a Blackjack a while ago and seeing that it's a through body bridge, I would say the strings will be a small height from the body like I'm assuming you're used to.

You'll probably get used to where to reposition your hand in a matter of minutes, aside from figuring out how far back to put your hand, there's no difference in play style.